gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-10-24, 01:44
Visitor

Default Making Visual Novel Games -- difficult?

I'm kinda new to this type of media, but after playing Narcissu, among others, I've decided to try and make one myself as a school project.
I had something simple in mind, where the story matters the most, rather then the graphics -- simply photographs with animated text and BG-music.
So, I heard of this program called Ren'Py which I have yet to figure out how to use on my MacBook, and after browsing some forums I'm starting to wonder just how complicated this is?

My question is: Can someone without any programming experience, like me, handle this? And in that case, do you know of any guides which might help?
I can use programs like Photoshop and Dreamweaver well enough, but I've never used codes...
Old 2006-10-24, 03:26
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum

Hiya echo,

How good are you with logic and reasoning?

The trick behind programming is to be able to follow and develop logic paths. I have never had a lick of programming experience (okay, maybe tried to learn C++ once or twice ^^; and a little basic HTML...) and I was able to make tech demos and even a presentation using the RealLive engine (which Kanon Standard Edition runs on).

The type you're describing (sound novel) is one of the simplest to make. All they use are graphics commands, bgm, and text display. The best way to learn is to download novels that are done in RenPy, rip the script from them (which if memory serves me correctly it's only a plain text file) and experiment using the manual or tutorials. That's how I was able to learn RealLive (with Haeleth's RLdev) and even some (O)NScripter.

Good luck! ;)

Ja, ne
-Rai
Old 2006-10-24, 03:49
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Theres a variety of engines out there that you can build a visual novel with. Theres really no point to reinvent the wheel and write your own engine... cuase thats what the Japanese do... and their a bit weird >.>;; XD.

But yeah, Ren'Py is a really good program. There is a lot of documentation inside the download for Ren'Py as well as an example game. Using those, its not very difficult to code up your own game even if you have relatively little to no coding experiance. Dont have a Mac Book so I'm not sure exactly how to get it running there, but I know it is cross OS complient, so theres someway to get it working.

More so though, if you want to ask anything about making visual novels, the place to ask is in the Lemma Soft Forums, as thats where all the creators of english language visual novels congeragate.
Old 2006-10-24, 06:03
Regular

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Mac_Launcher

I can vouch for Ren'Py. Although a lot of the games created used the obfuscation capability to hide images, sounds and code.

The best way to learn though is to check out skeletal demos and half-finished products, plenty of which are floating around on the forum already mentioned.

And the latest game I worked on, Colorless Day, is specifically unobfuscated, so its easy to learn just by examining the game.

Good luck on your project.

edit: And we are currently working on a specifically barebones skeletal system, granted that the sheer amount of code even in simple demo games can be overwhelming at first.
Old 2006-10-24, 11:10
Visitor

Default Thx!

Thank you all for the help!

I think I know what I need to do now, and more importantly I've decided not to give up before I've at least tried.

Maybe I'll put your aliases on the after-text as "encouragements"! (^_-)