gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-10-03, 17:26
Obsessive

Default Parents Can't Ban Visual Novels!

Many parents like to limit the amount of time their children spend on TV and video games. They generally believe that TV and video games are not very educational/productive and that it's better to spend more tme studying.

But I've never heard of a parent limiting the time a kid spends reading novels.

So would it be wrong for a parent to limit the amount of time spent playing visual novels?

So if the parent limit video games in general, the kid can counter what if I play those games where there's nothing to do but read? It's ok if I play that all day, right? After all, you let me read those books all day. It's no different if I read visual novels all day!
Old 2006-10-03, 17:30
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

I've gotten banned from reading books before =O.

Frankly, I think parents have a right to ban anything a child does if they do it in excess. If you played visual novels for twelve hours a day, and thats all you did everday, A) you would become a hikkikomori and B) your parents would have ever right to ask you to stop or ban you.

And if it has ero content, then they've got damn good reason XD (assuming your under the legal age to view ero content in your country/state).
Old 2006-10-03, 18:01
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misu
I've gotten banned from reading books before =O.
Same, I cleared out whole shelves out of the local library over the years as a kid. At some point they made me go get some sunlight in the back yard at least.
Old 2006-10-03, 18:25
rodan

Our first assignment in English class this year was to write an informal essay on a book or movie that affected your life. The teacher said video games were fine as long as there was a story.

I wrote my essay on Ever17. I got a 90.
My parents would be stupid to refuse me an A.

Now my Iliad essay on the other hand....
Old 2006-10-03, 19:01
Regular

My parents more or less gave up on me when I was just 4 and I was spending 12+ hours in front of the PC every day. I still spend most of my waking time in front of PCs.

I never had any social life to speak of, and I'm damn glad it went that way.
Old 2006-10-03, 21:01
Local

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku

Well depending on the content XD LOL some parents are clueless but some may know...or try to know. Some get the crazy OMG it will ruin my kids life and blame the whatever it is, rather than bad parenting.

My parents never cared even as kids when we bought the bootleg DBZ my dad would sit and watch since he wasn't allowed to watch animation as a kid.

i'm off topic....
Old 2006-10-04, 00:17
Regular

I never got banned. Me have no social life. Me = introverted freak. Me too much latin........ Aenaid is too much for my brain..... need sleep
Old 2006-10-04, 08:08

Default Re: Parents Can't Ban Visual Novels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonmasterX
Many parents like to limit the amount of time their children spend on TV and video games. They generally believe that TV and video games are not very educational/productive and that it's better to spend more tme studying.

But I've never heard of a parent limiting the time a kid spends reading novels.

So would it be wrong for a parent to limit the amount of time spent playing visual novels?

So if the parent limit video games in general, the kid can counter what if I play those games where there's nothing to do but read? It's ok if I play that all day, right? After all, you let me read those books all day. It's no different if I read visual novels all day!
http://game9.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/gal/1144861672/
Old 2006-10-04, 08:31
Obsessive

限定版なんかは、とりあえず神棚に置いている。

That was one of the funnier posts.
Old 2006-10-05, 00:50
Ex-boss

I believe one reason many parents object to too much computing/TV is the belief that staring at a screen damages the eyes. Clearly this applies just as well to visual novels as to sitcoms or shooters.

The same concern led to 19th-and-early-20th-century parents objecting to their children reading too much: they believed that staring at print damaged the eyes...

(They seem to be right, too, considering the correlation of shortsightedness to literacy worldwide.)
Old 2006-10-05, 07:10
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
(They seem to be right, too, considering the correlation of shortsightedness to literacy worldwide.)
=OO... I'm glad I stopped reading books a while ago then (besides technical computing books ><). Plus, playing visual novels on a huge screen detracts from eye damage (is trying to make some stupid justification for himself)! (gogo 24" LCDs!)
<