gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-07-04, 19:59
Obsessive

Default Eye Strain

I think the first health problem most gamers face when playing for too long without a break is eye strain. How do you respond to it?

-Ignore the pain, keep playing anyway.
-See an eye doctor, get a prescription for eye drops, pills
-Take a break. If you do this, then how long of a break?

In general, the gamer should sit as far as possible from the TV/monitor to minimize eye strain, I think. And are flat screens better for the eyes?
Old 2006-07-04, 20:02
Regular

i typically stab my eyes with my hunting knife and let the blood relubricat them.... oh wait do eyes bleed?
Old 2006-07-04, 20:36
adun50

when my eyes start to strain I usually take a break for about 10-15 mins. it also allows me to stretch my body as I probably would've been sitting down for a few hours.

though compared to a friend of mine, I'm not sure if he takes a break when he is playing WoW. its like 24/7 WoW for him unless it goes down for maintenance.
Old 2006-07-04, 20:45
Addicted

I really should take a break, but I don't. I'm easily addicted to things I like.
It doesn't help that I spend all day staring at the PC at work, either.
Old 2006-07-04, 20:54
inuyasha9854

I know the feeling....and in a sense, I could curse the friend that linked me this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogurting
Old 2006-07-04, 20:56
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha9854
I know the feeling....and in a sense, I could curse the friend that linked me this:

ooooh yogurting... I installed the japanese version but haven't played yet... my japanese sucks and I am afraid.....
Old 2006-07-04, 20:58
inuyasha9854

Let's see....20 or 30 kanji, maybe 60-80 words, and a very basic understanding of grammar. I still play. Besides, the english speakers sort of...swarmed the Castanet server: カスタネト

Follow the link to the english message board.
Old 2006-07-05, 05:10
kouryuu

I've never felt the eye strain until long after I finished playing. but then again, I usually do sit a few feet away from my TV to play console games, and I rarely play any game on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha9854
O.o curse you for that link... that looks highly enjoyable... now you must divulge where to acquire this, and how much it costs (as I'm assuming it has a cost, being an MMO)
Old 2006-07-05, 05:31
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouryuu
O.o curse you for that link... that looks highly enjoyable... now you must divulge where to acquire this, and how much it costs (as I'm assuming it has a cost, being an MMO)
its a free mmo with extras you can pay for i do believe. as far as where to get it the english messege board link at the bottom of the wiki has a faq section with a link.
Old 2006-07-05, 07:14
inuyasha9854

It's merely a large download, almost 700 MB. Really addictive, free, you just need to be....creative with the account registration page.
Old 2006-07-05, 10:49
Regular

Yer all weak.

I've been staring at computer screens for more than 20 years, and back in the day we had those ugly amber or green terminal screens that literally bore holes into your retina.

My eyes no longer feel. I don't think I even BLINK anymore.

20/20 vision, though. Never had a problem (never a headache). Don't wear glasses.
Some friends tell me I'm a living miracle or something.
Old 2006-07-05, 11:46
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudio
Yer all weak.

I've been staring at computer screens for more than 20 years, and back in the day we had those ugly amber or green terminal screens that literally bore holes into your retina.
HAH i still use green on black (AS400) terminals all day at work....fear me!
Old 2006-07-05, 11:58
Ex-boss

And my ears still haven't recovered from the endless clatter of daisywheel hammer on paper from the computers of my youth. (Insert three-Yorkshiremen reference here.)

Frankly, though, I'd have thought that the kind of games we discuss here would be likely to threaten your eyesight in a rather more direct way than merely straining your vision. :P