gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-04-08, 21:31
M12

Default Doujin circle question

To my understanding, professional visual novels can be produced with a relatively low number of people (in comparison to video games). How many people are needed exactly? For example, how many people work in Key Studios? How many scenario writers do they have? What about graphic artists? I'm very interested about this. Thanks heaps.
Old 2008-04-08, 22:25
Regular

Well... as can be seen in NHK ni Youkoso, all you need is 2 people. Haha...

In reality though, I'd suspect you'd need at least one person on each of the departments, i.e. scenario, character design, CG, music, etc. It would be a bonus if a single person could take on multiple roles too. But again, these are the bare minimums.
Old 2008-04-08, 22:44
Unregistered

For reference, ~15-20 developers are listed in the credits for AIR and Wind (and upward to 40 people for Lamune). From what I read, most studios employ a small number of full-time developers, with the rest contributing bits and pieces on a freelance/subcontract basis.

A yearly turnaround seems to be the traditionally favored model, although some successful developers have longer development cycles.

Quote:
in comparison to video games
Today's mainstream games require a ton of people, most of whom are full-time employees (for a hot title, over 100 staffers for at least two years of production).
Old 2008-04-09, 00:23
Posts way too much

Depends how 'professional' you want to go. At one extreme, I think that someone like ZUN would be capable of creating an entire visual novel himself, if he so desired. However, something like

1 x scenario writer, doubling as scripter/programmer (thus using something like krkr/kag to avoid too much outright programming)
1 x character art
1 x CG and background graphics
1 x music

if everyone is a master in their fields, that should be enough to turn around a professional-looking VN without taking an excessive amount of time. The reason for this sort of division - as opposed to the traditional 2 person doujin team - is to ensure that each part of the development process after initial planning can essentially proceed in parallel. It's fairly common to outsource stuff like the OP movie creation, however this may not be within the realm of feasibility for a doujin group. In that case, either one person or a combination of the existing people with experience making this sort of thing might be enough to handle it.

Anyone wanna try this? I'm afraid that only thing out of that I'd personally be able to do is the scenario writer/scripter/programmer, though =p

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-04-09 at 00:28.
Old 2008-04-09, 02:24
M12

Thanks for the responses people. They were very helpful.

Asceai, I actually asked this question before I'm thinking of gathering a team. I've made some small VNs in the past, but I no longer have the time for it, so I need some help. I hope to be the scenario writer. Would you be interested in programming?

Thanks everyone.
Old 2008-04-09, 02:51
Posts way too much

That sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Sure, why not?
Old 2008-04-09, 02:53
M12

That's great news! I've posted a proposal on my blog:

http://tdomj.wordpress.com/

It'd be cool if you could drop a comment there, and we can keep in touch then. Thanks!
Old 2008-04-09, 03:02
Regular

Looks good M12. Unfortunately my art skills are non-existent and my creativity in script writing never got off the ground. Music was a passion I always had, but haven't ever had formal lessons so that rules me out for that. Oh and I haven't touched any programming for over 10 years.

Guess that leaves me as an editor or maybe the cheer squad? :p
Old 2008-04-09, 05:10
M12

Thanks boggart and Asceai. I've added a new post with more info.
Old 2008-04-09, 12:52
Regular

Did you ask in Lemmasoft forums too?
Old 2008-04-09, 22:01
M12

Yep I have. Thanks.