gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Poll: I feel like Im regularly seeking interesting features you just read about a number of subjects, but
Poll Options
I feel like Im regularly seeking interesting features you just read about a number of subjects, but

Old 2011-01-16, 21:19
Regular

Send a message via AIM to d_fallen_god Send a message via MSN to d_fallen_god Send a message via Yahoo to d_fallen_god

Oi Oi.....

Please don't make it a very big issue.....

Quote:
LSF has been preetily declining over last months, in spite that the Ren'Py gets more and more powerful. That's because, even there's been a bunch of new people coming in, they're mostly fangirls/fanboys and casuals that just had this dream of "making a game" and want to make it ASAP. They don't now anything about game developement, art and storytelling, but they usually make their games because Ren'Py is simple enough that even the most lazy and useless person in the world could take their 15 mins and make a shitty mash-up using it; it's not like other DEV kits, which aren't made towards such audience and you usually need weeks digging through various tutorials, examples and guidebooks just to make anything working. That's why they make those games - shitty, boring fan works; they are like that because what they do is copying japanese visual novels, not creating their own ones, and let's be honest - most of them aren't game developers at all, and will NEVER be.
well its understandable......they just want there ideas come fruition.....
all they need is a little guidance when come to that field......
thats how Some Japanese Visual Novel Developers made huge success....
they need someone will evaluate there storyline, art, music, and etc first before it gonna go for the public more likely someone to judge. if the just release it carelessly without evaluation then the public while just ignore it or talk sh** to it......beginners should go to this process...

Well in my case I don't care if story,art are bad or good as long its a Visual novel I can't ignore it....I'll judge it when I finish playing it.

@Strum:
Well I can't argue with you since everyone has there own sense of taste....

@YiuKorochko:
Me & my cousin really appreciate your Visual Novel........
It is good and enjoyed it.....and congratulations that you'll get a mini series...
My cousin and I will really be happy to see it...

@VDZ:
WEW O_O AMAZING ART!......
for the artist score
Score: 10/10
Very well detailed and the coloring is fantastic.....
Can you give me information where I can contact him or who is he?
Old 2011-01-17, 02:48
Local

Send a message via MSN to VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fallen_god View Post
Can you give me information where I can contact him or who is he?
It's just an image from danbooru. You can reach the artist through his pixiv if you know Japanese. There's a nice little tool called iqdb that allows you to find out who's the creator of many pieces of fanart (iqdb finds them on the boorus, and the boorus generally list the name of the artist).
Old 2011-01-17, 03:30
Local

If you wanna make some good dojin game all alone, you need to be niwatori or mushiro. Otherwise, it'll suck. Though, just by being OELVN, it fails by default.
Old 2011-01-17, 19:24
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceD View Post
+0+
You say you've spent nearly 4 years in developement (with a team), yet I still can't seem to find anything that would prove your hard work, and as an interested person, it feels like I've been cheated through all that time.

+1+
Of course, you may have your reason for not showing anything, but then there wouldn't be also a reason in starting the whole discussion.

+2+
Let's be honest, as a consumer I wouldn't give a s**t about how long did you and your team worked on the project, nor who you are. I just want to see some progress.

+3+
Don't say you're working on a project. Just work on it.

+4+
Don't look for praise on the net, just because you're doing a vn, because you won't get it in that way and setting up a site already means you want to create a community and have some contact with other people.

+5+
Ren'Py is not SIMPLE, it was designed to be simple to appeal to bigger masses of people, but this also caused the decrease in overall quality of such works, because not everyone on this world is born to become a good game developer (if at all), and ironically Ren'Py overcomes this by giving a simple, basic template that's ready to work right from the start.

+6+
You say it's all in the hands of users. Of course it is, but who will exactly have the courage to tell them straight, that their works are crap...?.

+7+
You're a begginer? Then learn how to do it properly first, before you start making a game. You have to learn that yourself, and it will take some time.

+8+
If you want to do something, just od it. By that time, I learned a lot of things. Now I'm writing a full-blown script for my first official project and If everything goes out well, it will be finished this summer.

+9+
At least now, because I'm able to work alone on everything, I can take my time. And I'm also dedicated to finish this. In two-three years you'll propably see the results, maybe even faster; who knows that. And then you'll be able to judge everything yourselves, because all I can say, that no matter who you are - a beggining western ammateur, or a proffesional japanese game developer - everything can be done with quality, you just have to want to do it that way. You can learn to do some things, and if you don't have the cash, just go and find a job, earn and invest in your better future as a developer... if that's what you want to do, because you love that from the bottom of your heart.
Thanks for your feedback, I've marked several points in your reply which I'd like to explain.
+0+
To clarify, I had actually been writing a totally different script and one of the characters I developed started to manifest in his own story at the back of my head. Yes, the main idea for Sakkaku ni Dasu has been worked on for the last four years, but it's been tightened up from what was once a very loose, shitty VN idea. I've studied a few other highly rated VNs, and have even interviewed friends on what they'd like to see in a VN (actual VN players, not just friends in general).
The rest of this point continues in +1+.

+1+
Yes, I do have reasons for keeping such a tight grip on the actual story. I have a great fear of the project being stolen, copied, and made by someone else when this is my idea, which I wish to create.

+2+
Progress at the moment is dreadfully slow due to my college schedule. I am hoping that my summer vacation events will be thin enough to fill in a load of work. I actually have a Concept Art page online, but it's not listed in the navigation due to lack of material. I want at least the main character and his parents basic artwork done.

+3+
This is pretty much what I'm doing, but since my BG artist isn't helping, I've been spreading work around my local J-fan group to see if I can get others involved. The people I have booked for voice acting? Well they're pretty much waiting for me to have the rest of it done so that they can see what kind of emotions they should portray at the appropriate times. They're up for it and they know that it will take some few years if I'm doing absolutely everything myself.

+4+
I look for no such praise, but I do look to change people's opinions of OELVNs (which this game is half and half).

+5+
I agree entirely. The only reason why I even looked at the template is because this is the first time I've used the Ren'Py engine. I have worked in other methods which would be laughed at today but were a good idea in the past but once the core structure is learned (something which the template will try to veer you away from as a beginner) the story and art come into play, which is why a lot of games have failed. Core code is there, art isn't important, then they do a half-assed job on the art and flog the story.

+6+
Well, of course that's up to the community. But there's so much crap out there that either they'll get a few friends to play and say it's awesome or they'll get no views and no feedback, essentially voiding the whole project.

+7+
I've written a short seven book series which I've never felt right publishing; it's archived on an old 40GB HDD somewhere...I've practiced storyboarding and writing most of my life without realizing it, and I'm studying all this academically at this point. I also read a lot of books. Some of which are short 150 pagers, but these I only read if it's a series of 25 or more. Other books I've read go beyond a few thousand pages. Through all this, I've become more than confident while creating Sakkaku ni Dasu.

+8+
Despite the fact that I'm not confident enough to reveal my past works, I'm pretty much in the same position as you. Note, I'm not saying I'm on the same level as you, and I don't want you to get that impression. Continues in point +9+.

+9+
Agreed. Entirely. I'm really taking my time with this, and have developed a good sense of self-judgment so I can honestly say to myself a month after writing Chapter 2 "Hey wait there's a loophole/unclear part there." and adjust the game such (which is really what I've been doing the past four years). I actually have 2 jobs and a student grant, but I have only just been able to afford my new desktop. My laptop was burning out, literally. A strong smell of plastic coming from the fan exhaust...
When I can afford the RetasPro software, I will buy it. But if I complete everything else and them some by that time, I'll be forces to use action shots and sfx rather than animated clips.

Honestly, I really like the title and it suites the story perfectly, and I didn't want to spend forever on a game which in the end, some tiny 4 minute crap with a similar/same name appears. I really wanted to just bag the name and get others potentially interested in getting involved, though I'd rather these be people I've met.

I'm still not in a "team" yet either...once members are added, they'll be added to the webpage but until then...this is a one-man + voice actors project.

Sidenote, this was supposed to be a book or film script, but fortunately I was able to find a method of portrayal which best suites my skills despite my lack of free time.

I appreciate the advice and outlook on the project. If I can figure out a way to open up a summary of the plot without totally ruining the point of even playing the game then I'll have it up on it's own page in the main site. That's really the only reason why there's no plot summary or anything of the sort: I'm so into the project I can determine what's safe to reveal and what isn't.

</stop_scrolling.rant_over>
Old 2011-01-17, 19:32
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fallen_god View Post
@YiuKorochko:
Me & my cousin really appreciate your Visual Novel........
It is good and enjoyed it.....and congratulations that you'll get a mini series...
My cousin and I will really be happy to see it...
Thank you for your support. I hope that once it's finished and online I'll continue to get similar feedback, but for now, they're only hopes.

As for the mini series, it's only a speculation for now. A potential area of thought, but not something I'm aiming for. I merely meant to suggest that if my VN were decent enough and I get up and close with some special contacts I might get a mention or even a pilot.
I just have to keep out of mind what other VNs are doing and focus on my story which I've tried so hard to solidify. I may study a VN in order to learn how the code may be layed out at one point or another, but I'm pretty much passed that stage. If it's original, strong, and sellable, I'm sure some company will go for it. Hell, bring it on AT-X.
Old 2011-01-18, 08:09
Unregistered

I think the point of many posts is that the consumer expects high quality work for their purchase, which is very understandable. While the devs do work very hard on their games, the point is that (for commercial games), it becomes a product and therefore competes for the consumer's dollar. When this happens, that game will be compared to other products the consumer can buy, and, at that point, it doesn't matter to the consumer (generally) that it's an indie game.
I once saw a developer complain that their game was compared to Kingdom Hearts. You can buy Kingdom Hearts II for under $15, which was the dev's price for their game. I think a mistake that some devs make is that they think there is no comparison. Yes, they worked very hard, but in the real world, very few care how hard you worked, they're only interested in the end product. Also, I think some may not have clear goals as to why they're making/selling their game, or have a poor business model.
Also, consumers are not reviewers. They rarely rate or critique what they've bought beyond "good" or "bad". If a dev wants marketing research to improve their games, they'll have to do it themselves, and ask good questions to get helpful answers.
VNs as a whole are not popular in the USA/Canada. If devs want to really create this industry, they're going to have to change the image of VNs to cater to a more mainstream consumer (like Avatar and Ben 10 have done with "American Anime"), or find a niche market. I think some devs have accomplished that and are branding themselves well for their target markets, though I believe those markets to not be the average Japanese VN consumer, like myself.
I buy many of the "OELVN" commercial releases, and the only one that particularly caught my attention was Vera Blanc. I've either not finished, or forced myself through the others, usually because of poor writing, not visuals. I continue to purchase them though, because I personally support independent efforts, even outside the VN scene, but I know that is far from the norm. I think there is potential in OELVN, but it has a long way to go, and will only come about if the community really works together to increase the market and popularity of visual novels.
Old 2011-01-20, 12:53
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
THIS.

The only good thing about this thread.

Delicious Kyonko.
Kunisaki Yukito is a flooging pervert. He makes a mother finger her daughter to get off his sick kicks, have two sisters paizuri his cock while slobbering all over it, and he raped another in the rain. From Behind. I bet he assreamed the ghostly loli too.
Old 2011-01-24, 09:15
Unregistered

The origin point of every creative movement is littered with mediocrity. I think it's easy to forget that because we usually think of forms that have existed for a long time--painting, sculpture, architecture, the epic--forms that have existed long enough for history to do the curating for us naturally by wiping all but the mos