gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2010-08-31, 07:33
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

hard to ruin something you didn't translate ololol
Old 2010-08-31, 13:02
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
hard to ruin something you didn't translate ololol
Old 2010-08-31, 18:27
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
If it's the person's English that is lacking, not their Japanese, the translation should be fine. English language ability is important but not that important, compared to the Japanese which is critical.
The language experts seem to disagree. They say that the translator's fluency in the target language must be equal to or greater than in the source language. It has something to do with extracting elements of meaning versus synthesizing new elements of meaning...
Old 2010-08-31, 19:14
Unregistered

Wait, I don't get it. Why did the SubaHibi project stop, did it get a C&D?
Old 2010-08-31, 19:51
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The language experts seem to disagree. They say that the translator's fluency in the target language must be equal to or greater than in the source language. It has something to do with extracting elements of meaning versus synthesizing new elements of meaning...
Depending on what you are translating, I agree or disagree. I would, however, argue that a person is more likely to better understand (and thus work around) their shortcomings in the destination language than they are in the source language. If you know what something means but don't necessarily know how to express it, you can make use of a number of strategies, such as being additionally verbose to clarify your meaning, consulting reference materials, other people etc. If you don't know what something means, give up, your translation is already worse than worthless.
Old 2010-08-31, 23:13

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
Depending on what you are translating, I agree or disagree. I would, however, argue that a person is more likely to better understand (and thus work around) their shortcomings in the destination language than they are in the source language. If you know what something means but don't necessarily know how to express it, you can make use of a number of strategies, such as being additionally verbose to clarify your meaning, consulting reference materials, other people etc. If you don't know what something means, give up, your translation is already worse than worthless.
I guess it's all a matter of scale. To truly make a translation shine requires a much higher understanding of the target language compared to the source language, but both levels are very high compared to what you are mentioning.

If your skill in the source language is just too low, then it doesn't matter how high your skill is in the target language, and the same can be said vice versa. While you bring up the point of working around difficulties in writing in the target language, the same can be done about difficulties in understanding the source language -- ask someone more knowledgeable or do more research (if it's an obscure term). Both workarounds have the same requirements -- knowing that you are wrong with respect to the source or target language. If you are not good enough at the source language to realize you are wrong, then you are not going to ask someone for help. If you are not good enough at the target language to realize you are wrong, then you are also not going to ask someone for help or write more verbosely; yes, this does happen.
Old 2010-08-31, 23:42
Regular

What the hell is happening?
Why can't you guys co-operate to make the work done faster instead of flaming here?
And what's with the title? X(
Old 2010-09-01, 00:39
Local

It's sorta BANNAAANAH mood(,!) all over the forums.
Old 2010-09-01, 02:53
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
I guess it's all a matter of scale. To truly make a translation shine requires a much higher understanding of the target language compared to the source language, but both levels are very high compared to what you are mentioning.

If your skill in the source language is just too low, then it doesn't matter how high your skill is in the target language, and the same can be said vice versa. While you bring up the point of working around difficulties in writing in the target language, the same can be done about difficulties in understanding the source language -- ask someone more knowledgeable or do more research (if it's an obscure term). Both workarounds have the same requirements -- knowing that you are wrong with respect to the source or target language. If you are not good enough at the source language to realize you are wrong, then you are not going to ask someone for help. If you are not good enough at the target language to realize you are wrong, then you are also not going to ask someone for help or write more verbosely; yes, this does happen.
Unfortunately today's visual novel scene is populated by too many "translators" who have little or no skill in either the target OR the source language. The results are quite laughable.

At the end of the day, however, does it really matter? The average visual novel, "consumer," that requires something to be translated for him, isn't too bright to begin with, and will be incapable of recognizing the slipshod work placed before him.
Old 2010-09-01, 03:38
Posts way too much

But that's fine, we need bad translators so that I can criticise their work to maintain my street cred without actually having to translate anything myself~
Old 2010-09-01, 04:35
Unregistered

Quote:
But that's fine, we need bad translators so that I can criticise their work to maintain my street cred without actually having to translate anything myself~
Moogy, is that you?
Old 2010-09-01, 04:36