gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 2010-08-04, 05:39
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ae772 View Post
I'm not sure what you gain by demonstrating your complete and blatant disregard for the game creator's wishes and then advertising your disrespect, but I'd expect nothing less from someone who call the Japanese game makers "ignorant" for trying to protect their source of income. Carry on.
Who gives two shits about THEIR wishes? Translation patch or not, nothing changes for them for worse. They will remain at the same or better status. So they shouldn't fucking care.
  #17  
Old 2010-08-05, 09:11
Message's Avatar
Message Message is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Who gives two shits about THEIR wishes? Translation patch or not, nothing changes for them for worse. They will remain at the same or better status. So they shouldn't fucking care.
You DO realize that with remarks like that, you'll utterly and miserably fail at getting any opinion across to others, right?
  #18  
Old 2010-08-05, 10:23
dsp2003
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Message, by taking a clean look at the things, any fan-makes, like AMV, wallpapers, or translations, are free promotion for the VN publishers among the audithory they couldn't possibly even imagine to achieve.

Unfortunately, there's one thing nobody seems to mention: refusal of any good intentions of their fans happens only in one single case - potential risk of profit loss. In other words, they are businessmen with money hunger syndrome. Yet in other words, any fan for them is a nuisance, a fly on the glass which can be easely crushed. That's why we now have what we have - complete disrespect of Japanese VN-makers among fan community. So, protecting their "wishes" won't improve situation at all. IMHO.
  #19  
Old 2010-08-05, 12:03
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
Unfortunately, there's one thing nobody seems to mention: refusal of any good intentions of their fans happens only in one single case - potential risk of profit loss. In other words, they are businessmen with money hunger syndrome. Yet in other words, any fan for them is a nuisance, a fly on the glass which can be easely crushed. That's why we now have what we have - complete disrespect of Japanese VN-makers among fan community. So, protecting their "wishes" won't improve situation at all. IMHO.
I think that's a bit too cynical. Surely another factor is that foreign interest (specifically in Rapelay) has lead directly to negative political repercussions in Japan for eroge makers, therefore many companies have decided to crack down their overseas fans (who represent negligible, if any profit at all to them) with the goal of staying under the radar of international feminist groups who might decide it's high time to pressure the Japanese legislature to ban all these disgusting games that disrespect women. This is why so many statements from them emphasize "please do not play or translate our games, because we cannot guarantee they are legal/socially acceptable in your country."
  #20  
Old 2010-08-05, 12:11
Ae772 Ae772 is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
Message, by taking a clean look at the things, any fan-makes, like AMV, wallpapers, or translations, are free promotion for the VN publishers among the audithory they couldn't possibly even imagine to achieve.

Unfortunately, there's one thing nobody seems to mention: refusal of any good intentions of their fans happens only in one single case - potential risk of profit loss. In other words, they are businessmen with money hunger syndrome. Yet in other words, any fan for them is a nuisance, a fly on the glass which can be easely crushed. That's why we now have what we have - complete disrespect of Japanese VN-makers among fan community. So, protecting their "wishes" won't improve situation at all. IMHO.

Not my point at all.

It's one thing to think something, and one thing to do something, and yet another to advertise it.

It's already a well-known fact that most groups in the fansubbing and translation community don't care about the original creator's wishes. They'll either outright ignore them or pretend to abide by their requests, then continue elsewhere under a different name.

That doesn't mean it's a smart idea to go around everywhere telling every person you see "Look at us, we're ignoring C&Ds and will keep on translating".

tl;dr
If you are going to ignore developer requests to stop translation, then shut the fuck up and concentrate on your translations. And if you're waiting for said translation, also shut the fuck up and wait. There is absolutely no reason to go around bragging about it as if it's something to be proud of.
  #21  
Old 2010-08-05, 12:49
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The lack of respect for creator's wishes from fan translation groups and lowlife entitled leecher fans just sickens me.

My sincerest wish was to see at least one of the Japanese creators go beyond a mere C&D and take legal action. Unfortunately many do not have the resources to undertake legal action in another country. There are also the difficulties of proving actual damages.

I had hoped that minori would take up the torch. The recent developments involving potential cooperation between the worst of the fan translation groups and NNL is enough for anyone who respects the the original creators to just vomit. I'm still hoping that minori has no intention of cooperating with NNL and is just drawing them in in order to facilitate some kind of legal action.

Hopefully someone will take legal action and hit these fan groups where it hurts. They need to learn that it is no OK to butcher someone else's creation.
  #22  
Old 2010-08-06, 02:12
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The lack of respect for creator's wishes from fan translation groups and lowlife entitled leecher fans just sickens me.

My sincerest wish was to see at least one of the Japanese creators go beyond a mere C&D and take legal action. Unfortunately many do not have the resources to undertake legal action in another country. There are also the difficulties of proving actual damages.

I had hoped that minori would take up the torch. The recent developments involving potential cooperation between the worst of the fan translation groups and NNL is enough for anyone who respects the the original creators to just vomit. I'm still hoping that minori has no intention of cooperating with NNL and is just drawing them in in order to facilitate some kind of legal action.

Hopefully someone will take legal action and hit these fan groups where it hurts. They need to learn that it is no OK to butcher someone else's creation.
Racist much? Is there a reason why fans should take this seriously?

From the discussions minori and NNL I am actually holding my breath that Minori products can actually make their way into the foreign market then the fans wouldn't have to pirate and can even offer to translate for them(like Chaos;Head).
  #23  
Old 2010-08-06, 12:05
arkady18 arkady18 is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Hopefully someone will take legal action and hit these fan groups where it hurts. They need to learn that it is no OK to butcher someone else's creation.
In my opinion, you're going too far. I agree with the "respect the author's wishes" part, but this doesn't mean that every fan translation is a synonymous of "butchering someone else's creation". Yeah, asking for author's permission would be the best, but someone, afraid to be rejected, may prefer to silently translate a game. Of course, this is a bad thing on its own, but this is not the worst crime in the universe. If a fan translation group does its job as good as possible, trying not to hurt or damage the author, as long as the game maker doesn't give a halt to the translation, there's nothing really morally bad. Well, if the author clearly says no, the tl group have to obey and to cancel the project.

I understand the part in which you consider a bad thing translating without permission a game, but, please, use a more polite tone when you speak. If wanting more respect towards the author is a good thing, showing respect towards other people isn't a bad thing either:).
  #24  
Old 2010-08-06, 13:53
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Not to mention that going through proper channels isn't any guarantee that a company won't "butcher someone else's creation" - play the iPhone release of Gift, some of MangaGamer's early releases, or the HgameZ.net trial versions sometime. If it's preserving artistic integrity you care about, fan translations are no worse on average.

He's probably just trolling, though.
  #25  
Old 2010-08-06, 14:19
arkady18 arkady18 is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 52
Default

In fact, I added "If a fan translation group does its job as good as possible". Because I think there's no point in translating something if you do it badly. Personally, I think that a well fan translated version maybe far better than an "officially" translated one, since 1fans translate only because they wanna do it and they liked the game (this is not always the case when a group translates a game only because they desire notoriety, even though they're not really able to do a good job or they don't really commit theirselves to do it); 2official translators maybe "penalized" by a stupid deadline set too early, that may represent an obstacle if you want to translate something properly.
  #26  
Old 2010-08-06, 14:31
Moogy's Avatar
Moogy Moogy is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: #tlwiki@irc.rizon.net
Posts: 430
Send a message via AIM to Moogy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkady18 View Post
official translators maybe "penalized" by a stupid deadline set too early, that may represent an obstacle if you want to translate something properly.
Well, we had plenty of absurd deadlines on Demonbane, but that didn't stop us from making it the best translation/script ever seen in a commercially released eroge localization. I mean, to a certain extent, yeah, I guess deadlines can present a problem, but it's really all on the skill of the translator to begin with. Anyone who can translate well can also translate well while translating quickly.
  #27  
Old 2010-08-06, 21:20
Message's Avatar
Message Message is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 323
Default