gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Poll: Ethically acceptable?
Poll Options
Ethically acceptable?

Old 2009-11-01, 09:44
Regular

Ahh I understand.

But about the last part, I thought they were based in California?
Old 2009-11-01, 11:41

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Oh, didn't know that Phantom was getting an XBOX360 remake:
http://www.xbox-news.com/index.php?e=8101

I wonder who the publisher for that would be. The PS2 version was by Princess Soft and the DVDPG version was by Digiturbo or something. It would be interesting to see if Nitro+ does have easy access to the voice acting and see if they can be convinced of a backport to PC...
Old 2009-11-01, 16:57
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
A full-on remake using the redone character designs? If they replace the original CG backgrounds, I'm pretty much sold. My instincts are telling me that if a PC remake does get made, it will inevitably find its way to North America (either officially or via a fan translation). I for the most part like the new character designs (particularly Lizzie and Wisemel), so I'm looking forward to it. If they have a "style select" option like Kana ~Okaeri...!~, that's all the better.

dsp2003: Actually, I already have the uncorrupted files (I can't believe I had to resort to torrenting to get them, though...). What I meant was that I would rather have a legitimately pressed version of the disc. I could visit a print shop and have a convincing lookalike made, but it's just not the same... I guess I'm a snob in this regard... Anyway, it's just Tsugumi's staff roll that was corrupted, so it's not a huge deal.
Old 2009-11-05, 21:04

Personally I think utilising the scripts from the English AnimePlay release is morally acceptable as long as you’re able to implement a check for the Hirameki’s original disc.

Phantom of the Inferno is one of my personal favourite visual novels. However I really disliked the format of Hirameki’s AnimePlay releases. I really don’t understand the reasoning behind the DVD format, probably an attempt at greater market share/compatibility; but I found it a really unsatisfactory system overall.

The code saving system is incredibly messy when utilised for such a long and branching game such Phantom. Having to stop and minimise the game to write down codes, with long descriptions (you need detailed descriptions to differentiate the many codes, further varied according to past choices), both broke immersion and created quite the hassle.

Also there was often quite long storyline segments between choices and not being able to save meant that in some cases hours of progress would be lost. Now this would be fine if the DVD playback skip function worked well. But skipping often caused freezes in my case and therefore it was a matter of holding down ctrl and praying it wouldn’t crash.

In addition if you’re someone who doesn’t like playing games on a TV screen, limited choices existed for playing the title on a PC. In my case only PowerDVD managed it, which was a bit disappointing as I’m not really a fan of the software.

I think many people would appreciate a patch utilising Hirameki’s translation because it would solve many of the playback issues associated with the original English release.

As Hirameki has not been making any money off of their intellectual property for some time, I doubt they would begrudge people finding new ways to enjoy their work, as long as any patches made required the original disc. Has any attempt been made to contact the now defunct Hirimeki? If you explained the ideas behind this hypothetical they may actually be happy to give permission, as it would make it easier and more enjoyable to play their titles.

The original creators of Kings Quest Roberta & Ken Williams were quite happy when they were told about the proposed fan remake of their adventures. That said I don’t think Sierra (who more than likely owned the intellectual rights) were ever contacted. It’s had to judge how a company may react but a smaller and now dissolved company like Hiremeki might actually appreciate that people are still playing their translations.

Kind Regards,
Eternal72
Old 2009-11-06, 03:13

I'd say do it- please. But you wouldn't want to use Hirameki's translation anyway; aside from being totally inadequate to the PC version (missing a lot of stuff) it was just plain CRAP- spelling and grammar were shockingly bad, dialogue was stiff and clunky, sometimes the text even ran off the edge of the screen and at least once they missed a line altogether. It was the WORST localisation job I've ever seen, bar none. Loved the game all the same, though.
Old 2009-11-06, 04:34
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Azmadi View Post
It was the WORST localisation job I've ever seen
You sure haven't seen some BAD localisations.
Old 2009-11-06, 14:18
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSs View Post
You sure haven't seen some BAD localisations.
MangaGamers beginning games... and that other visual novel GinIro... that was like... barely English.
Old 2009-11-06, 17:17
Unregistered

Quote:
That said I don’t think Sierra (who more than likely owned the intellectual rights) were ever contacted.
Vivendi's lawyers actually contacted the remake team at some point. However, the company gave them permission to distribute after the developers explained their intentions.

The Silver Lining (vaporware fan sequel) is also being developed with the company's approval.
Old 2010-03-25, 03:59
byndhrzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post

I wonder who the publisher for that would be. The PS2 version was by Princess Soft and the DVDPG version was by Digiturbo or something. It would be interesting to see if Nitro+ does have easy access to the voice acting and see if they can be convinced of a backport to PC...
Publishers are Nitro+ themselves, some screens and teaser site for the game came out, script and design is changed to feel closer to Phantom anime.

http://www.nitroplus.co.jp/game/phantom360/
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1233290_1407.html
Old 2010-03-25, 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimoto View Post
MangaGamers beginning games... and that other visual novel GinIro... that was like... barely English.
Gin'iro wasn't a localization though - since it was the original japanese release that had the awesome engrish option.