gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2008-11-21, 17:45
Inexperienced Gaijin's Avatar
Inexperienced Gaijin Inexperienced Gaijin is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hundred WV
Posts: 48
Default Like Life Install help

I have just picked up Like Life renewal edition and I am trying to install it on my laptop which is Vista and It won't seem to let me install can someone help
please.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2008-11-21, 21:49
dsp2003
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Grab Windows XP CD, reformat your hard drive and install Windows XP, pronto. -_-
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2008-11-22, 21:40
zalas zalas is offline
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: fushigi misuterii
Posts: 1,831
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexperienced Gaijin View Post
I have just picked up Like Life renewal edition and I am trying to install it on my laptop which is Vista and It won't seem to let me install can someone help
please.
Number one rule of asking for help is to provide as much information as you can.

For example,

Bad:
This thing doesn't install.

Good:
I double clicked the installer, and it popped up this error message [insert image here]. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

That being said, Like Life renewal edition is supposed to support Vista according to their website.
__________________
~Yoda is waiting in the air~ | HAVEN
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2008-11-22, 22:50
jyuichi's Avatar
jyuichi jyuichi is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
Grab Windows XP CD, reformat your hard drive and install Windows XP, pronto. -_-
So true... Vista is unusable for novices and professionals alike. Only plus it has is DirectX 10 IF you play cutting edge games, (it screws up some older games)

I'm no Vista pro (typing this from my bootcamped XP) but to help:

Firstly, are you an administrator of your computer? Most things install nicer as an admin.

Secondly, are you set to Japanese for non-unicode programs? (sometimes applocale doesn't cut it)

If these don't solve it try changing your standards and formats to Japanese, some games need this (its rare though, so this is just a guess). (control panel -> regional and language settings-> regional; or w.e vista calls it)
__________________
Twitter: @jyuichi
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2008-11-23, 23:17
dsp2003
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuichi View Post
So true... Vista is unusable for novices and professionals alike. Only plus it has is DirectX 10 IF you play cutting edge games, (it screws up some older games)
Eh... the "advantage" of DirectX 10 (i.e. shader model 4.0) is now meaningless because of the newest OpenGL. ^O^

Also, the Vista itself is DRM-cursed (i was on the edge of going crazy when found out about the "features" in this "improved" OS -- now i know the reason WHY the SPDIF-out isn't working without digging and brainf*cking - DRM system turns it off "in order to protect the copyrighted material". Microsoft, you're f*ckin' BASTARDS!!).

Err... now straight to the topic: ^_^'

As jyuichi said, there's could be several possibilities, including this one --- you may try to run the installation executable in the previous OS compatibility mode (although it's only a fake emulation of the older OSes behavior (crappy most of the time)).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2008-11-24, 01:48
Roto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The OP asked for help via PM and we've solved the problem (it was a permissions issue; installing to a location where administrator access was not required worked fine.)

Inexperienced Gaijin, in the future note that it's good form to post everywhere you've asked for help once you've solved the problem and let people know so that they're not unnecessarily still trying to help you :)

Quote:
Also, the Vista itself is DRM-cursed (i was on the edge of going crazy when found out about the "features" in this "improved" OS -- now i know the reason WHY the SPDIF-out isn't working without digging and brainf*cking - DRM system turns it off "in order to protect the copyrighted material". Microsoft, you're f*ckin' BASTARDS!!).
If that's true, that is ridiculous. I knew they were doing the HDCP stuff with certain DRM-protected video, dropping the resolution down if your monitor is not HDCP compliant. That's bad enough. If they're doing it for audio, that's infuriating. I'd be pissed if I couldn't play content I'd purchased through my external DAC. There's even already a copy inhibit flag in S/PDIF that most commercial recorders will honor. Shutting off the stream completely is simply defective.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2008-11-24, 02:40
dsp2003
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Roto,
Spoiler
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2008-11-24, 07:02
Inexperienced Gaijin's Avatar
Inexperienced Gaijin Inexperienced Gaijin is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hundred WV
Posts: 48
Default

Gomen I didn't mean to not post back on here after you had helped me there roto but I had work all weekend, so that was my fault but yeah I got it to work so it's fine. My National guard unit is getting ready to deploy so I just needed to make sure all my VN's were working on my laptop before I left. So thanks again for that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2008-11-24, 18:15
zalas zalas is offline
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: fushigi misuterii
Posts: 1,831
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Default

Good luck out there!
__________________
~Yoda is waiting in the air~ | HAVEN
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2008-12-20, 23:04
nhat's Avatar
nhat nhat is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexperienced Gaijin View Post
Gomen I didn't mean to not post back on here after you had helped me there roto but I had work all weekend, so that was my fault but yeah I got it to work so it's fine. My National guard unit is getting ready to deploy so I just needed to make sure all my VN's were working on my laptop before I left. So thanks again for that.
I'll pray for your safety. I indirectly support our troops and I'm proud to support them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2008-12-21, 20:08
jyuichi's Avatar
jyuichi jyuichi is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhat View Post
I'll pray for your safety. I indirectly support our troops and I'm proud to support them.
I don't support the war myself but I support all that chose to join the armed forces. Hope you come back safe :)
__________________
Twitter: @jyuichi
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2008-12-23, 15:46
nhat's Avatar