gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Poll: Should VisualNews expand coverage to OELs?
Poll Options
Should VisualNews expand coverage to OELs?

Old 2006-12-02, 22:25
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu
Default [Poll] OELs on VisualNews?

So a question to you guys out here.
Do you think VisualNews should expand coverage to include OELs?
It's been a topic brought up a couple times in staff meetings and I wanted to get peoples thoughts and opinions on the topic.
Old 2006-12-03, 03:26
Unregistered

I thought you already did.

I must say I'd like to be informed of releases such as the above. I do realise that there is a lot of crap floating around, however, so I really don't know.
Old 2006-12-03, 03:42
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Those two were Message's fan favorites, so thats why he posted them ^^. Otherwise we technically dont cover them yet. This is why I'm asking the community now though.
Old 2006-12-03, 07:36
Regular

Beware if you include news about OELs, both commercial and noncommercial, demos and full games, you could hit upon a very huge number of projects:
http://atp.manga.sk/english/projects.htm (courtesy of mikey)
most of which are unfinished.
I think you can allow Lemmasoft do most of the filtering, since most people on VisualNews would rather be playing JP VNs rather than trying out OELs.
However you shouldn't prevent those who are really proud of their work to do some unabashed self-promotion.
Off the top of my head, Ori Ochi Onoe and Brokenhearted are two complete OELs of professional quality (the others are too short or uncomplete / demos). I think an hours' worth of playtime is still significant.
Old 2006-12-03, 08:01
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

I would like to hear news about only professional or commercial-quality OELs.
Old 2006-12-03, 08:33
Regular

I agree, although we have reached a point where a few free fanmade OELs are easily besting some of the recent al|together translations through better writing and use of original resources such as music and art.

Do note there has been no commercial OEL release yet. All we've got are works-in-progress.

Now what happens when there's a professional quality but free OEL? Right now its easy to pick, but the line might become thinner in the future.
Old 2006-12-03, 08:44
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misu View Post
Those two were Message's fan favorites, so thats why he posted them ^^.
Make that "that one" and I'll agree. I posted O3 because it makes unusually good use of the Ren'Py engine, I don't personally like the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shii View Post
I would like to hear news about only professional or commercial-quality OELs.
While my current stance does boil down to this, it raises the question "who is to decide what is or is not a commercial-quality OEL?" I can keep reporting about titles I think are worth it for some reason or other and just ignore the less special releases, but then I might start doing the same for, say, small doujin translations that don't strike my fancy. My problem is that I'm not sure where to draw the line.

Edit: And as DaFool points out, that line will only become unclearer in the future if things continue developing as they are now.
Old 2006-12-03, 08:58
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Hey, I'm the consumer. (Technically I write for VisualNews too but I don't edit it.) I can't tell you where to draw the line, just what I'd like to see. (´・ω・`) [s]And I don't want to hear about amerimanga. Probably safer only to report on commercial works, or works that create a buzz outside Lemmasoft.[/s] See DaFool's post below, it's better.

Last edited by Shii; 2006-12-03 at 16:49.
Old 2006-12-03, 09:13
Regular

Quote:
or works that create a buzz outside Lemmasoft.
LOL. That automatically gives any future works created with the Blade Engine a strategic advantage, due to commercial marketing muscle. And this forum is by very nature Onscripter-centric.

But there is a point. Say there's a minimum set of standards:
Example
1.) All-original characters and stories. No fanfics.
2.) All resources used with permission / license free (should be easier to negotiate for OEL than for JP doujinshi)
and here's the hardest one with the finest line to draw:
3.) Minimum level of professional presentation. By this definition even Brokenhearted looks fanmade due to its simplistic interface. Echoes of Thunder easily wins, but very rarely do even JPs approach that level of interface.
Old 2006-12-03, 09:22
Ex-boss

How about a simple test along the lines of "if a member of VisualNews staff can be bothered to write about it, it's newsworthy"? :)
Old 2006-12-03, 13:33