gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-04-20, 17:35
tsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
he said "If I manage to get over this annoying block that is preventing me from translating the scripts"

that's far from a definitive "no", and it's also far from a "hint" towards "no"
if anything, it's statement of a possible return to translating, which although is almost certaintly not going to happen, is still non-commital to a definite answer.
yes, i would like a solid, and well reasoned answer/response (well reasoned involves addressing what has been said), i'm sure some other lurkers would like it too, but i'd also imagine a quick end to all and any thoughts regarding this with a simple "no".

also, Asceai himself said "i do feel like i owe the community something" and i response was "well if that is the case"
there is no harshness there.
Its wonderful to see people hold their argument acting like: "Ever since the moment he announced the start of translation, I have already expected him to release it, and therefore he must. Even if he were to stop halfway, I would request that he spit out what he has already done, for a better chance that I must enjoy a full translation later on. Never mind if the translation is his own work and I practically did nothing else. If ever he refuses my request somewhat ambiguiously, even though the act of NOT releasing after swarms and swarms of people asked clearly says something, I wouldn't bother listening. I expect at least a definitive 'no'+a solid, and well reasoned answer/response (well reasoned involves addressing what has been said) for my sake, darn it, you mean I hyped for nothing!?"

If he doesnt want to, he wouldnt. No amount of yapping would get you further. You only want him to spit it out/(or if that fails)an answer that would make you feel happy.
Old 2009-04-21, 02:46
Unregistered

An "ambigious answer" does not become conclusive from a lack of answer, in regards to "the act of NOT releasing after swarms and swarms of people asked clearly says something". it's akin to saying that a visual novel project is "clearly" dropped simply because no response was given when a progress report was requested.
but this matter is something aside, perhaps even irrelevant to the request.

you can put as much subjective spin on it as you like, perhaps you didn't read the part where i "spat" out
"but i'd also imagine a quick end to all and any thoughts regarding this with a simple "no""

would him "spitting" out a one word post of "no" make me happy? far from it, but i wouldn't press further.

It almost seems like you think that all requests made are with bare teeth towards Asceai, but i think it's fair to say most if not all have been reasonable and well mannered about it, persistent perhaps, but still reasonable.

was it ever said "i deserve this"? no it wasn't.
was it ever said "for my sake"? no it wasn't.
is there something inherently selfish, or rude in reqeusting a release for the express purpose of increasing the chances of "a full translation later on"? perhaps, but not to the degree that it warrants sarcastic parody.

we(or perhaps just I) would like him to release it, it would certaintly make us/me happier, this is true, but we/I do not feel as if we/I have some right to the translations, as i said before, this is a request.

we/I have not been rude about it, we/I have not been (in my opinion) unreasonable about it. A reasoned request was put towards Asceai, and further reasoning was given when people put foward various arguments for pro/con.

that's the situation, it's not some huge matter, it's not even something particularly serious, I understand that people who have spoken on Asceai's behalf, polite or not, are probably doing it with good intent, and to be honest, i think that is a good thing, to have translators have support (one way or another), but i'd like for them to relook at the situation, and see that this really is just a simple request, that it's not some personal attack or selfish vendetta against Asceai.

G-senjou is an interesting game, and we/I would like to see it translated, if Asceai releasing his notes increases the chance of this becoming a reality, then why not try asking him to do so? if he is reluctant to do so, why not put in some words to try and convince him otherwise? if he is firm on his position, then that's that, no more can be said really, but until then, i still carry the hope that he will upload his notes. I don't think these requests are anything close to upsetting or rude towards him, so i ask, have these requests been so wrong?

yes, massive tl;dr, i didn't expect to type out that much really.
Old 2009-04-21, 05:13
tsc

All right. Please do carry on requesting. I thought that persistently re-requesting the re-request when the guy didnt want to reply was rude. But I cannot force you to think the same way as I did. I automatically assumed that since he didnt seem like he is willing to give an answer on the matter after 'persistent' 'requests', his stand was 'no' already. So, if this was the case, why must you press the matter for the nth time, spamming requests?<-this is where i thought it was rude. you disagree.(Where n is a real number, n>0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
I haven't put anything up simply because I'm not happy with the translation... someone wanting to start their own project really would be better off retranslating the first chapter. The thing is that the translation style has far more impact on the quality of the text than I originally thought it would.
Then again, you believe that keeping silent after the above quote does not give a sure enough 'no' that is to your liking. You decide that:

Quote:
and may i point out that him posting these translations ->are of no detriment to others<-? sure one skilled in moonrune may scoff slightly at bad translations, but that's the worst of it, at best, X amount of time is saved because particular chunks are already translated, and only need paraphrasing.
and cannot see that what you think of as 'at best just some slight scoffing', may actually mean something to others, and all the while your proposition promises a con to asceai, while you/i/we gets all the happy stuff.<-why i put up the 'for my sake' argument

In my opinion, forcing someone to do something is not limited to the loud "DO IT DO IT DO IT!" phrases. While you hang the word 'request' around your neck throughout your stay, I thought you did some good jabs at his guilt for your purpose. Since I felt that he has already given a clear (yet non-verbal) 'no' by his actions, your incessant requests for a stated answer seemed rude to me. The intention 'no' does not happen only when you say it out loud, it should happen way before that. That being said, if he ever wants to upload the shit, he would do it even if you discourage him from it.<-thats why i said 'No amount of yapping would get you further. You only want him to spit it out/(or if that fails)an answer that would make you feel happy.'
Old 2009-04-21, 11:38
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsc View Post
So, if this was the case, why must you press the matter for the nth time, spamming requests?<-this is where i thought it was rude. you disagree.(Where n is a real number, n>0)
Not true, as there is no feasibly way of requesting something a fraction of a time, nEI, as opposed to nER.

But do carry on.
Old 2009-04-21, 13:08
Obsessive

Quote:
Not true, as there is no feasibly way of requesting something a fraction of a time, nEI, as opposed to nER.

But do carry on.
Hey hey, break it up you two >:O
Old 2009-04-21, 13:47
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTX View Post
Hey hey, break it up you two >:O
Sorry. Should've clarified, I wasn't the unreg that was posting tl;dr semantics with him.
Old 2009-04-21, 16:01
Unregistered

Quote:

But do carry on.
That doesn't necessarily mean that you can't create a function that models it as if it were continuous. This is done all the time in fields like economics where discrete goods can be represented continuously, and of course, the famous gamma function.

But the OP probably wasn't thinking about that, lol.
Old 2009-04-21, 20:51
tsc

Sorry I meant (where n is an integer, ...). I got mixed up XD
Old 2009-04-22, 09:19
Regular

Quote:
That doesn't necessarily mean that you can't create a function that models it as if it were continuous. This is done all the time in fields like economics where discrete goods can be represented continuously, and of course, the famous gamma function.
Okay I have no idea what is going on in this thread anymore. But I kinda like it!
Old 2009-04-22, 10:20
Obsessive

I don't. Stop the hate :'(
Old 2009-04-22, 12:46
Regular

Hate? I thought they were talking about maths... :(
Old 2009-04-22, 14:18
Obsessive

It's the hateful kind of math :O
Old 2009-04-22, 20:03
Regular

Is nothing sacred????
Old 2009-04-24, 11:44
Unregistered

There is no hateful math, only hateful people.

Except calculus, maybe.
Old 2009-04-24, 19:18
Unregistered

Well, if the guy thinks he didn't do a good job translating this game, then it's probably best that he doesn't release anything. Besides maybe someone else will pick this game up if it's so good, and if not, I'm sure there are better games with patches in the works.

I don't know much about the game aside from people mentioning it in message boards and summaries of the story, but is it really that good? I mean, everyone seems to be of the opinion that only one heroine's route is good while the rest of the heroine's routes suck, so is it really worth crying over a patch for this game being canceled?