gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2005-10-12, 20:40
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritsnare
So is A Winter's Tale, but part of it is rather predictable.
One could make the argument that that's actually the point, in a way, of that piece.

Or, to quote someone far more eloquent ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Dracula
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Hah -- actually, I was getting around to thinking that this might just be something Kanon-esque...only without the surreality of it all.
Old 2005-10-12, 21:03
Obsessive

wow.

I just finished kira ~snowdrop~ and, needless to say it was a very well done piece.

The timing of the piece itself, and the localization, worked together flawlessly. Certanly a gem.

Thank you haeleth!
Old 2005-10-12, 23:44
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp32
Or, to quote someone far more eloquent ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Dracula
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
So you mean to say that the al|together entries steal men's souls?
Old 2005-10-13, 04:02
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritsnare
Quote:
Originally Posted by l|ammamama
haha!! dear me, i'm playing Kira -snowdrop- right now and i just have to ask you haeleth - what dialect is maiko speaking in?

I'm loving your localization of it ^^

you sure weren't kidding when you said you'd solved the problem of the character's voices being too similar!
I'm going to guess that that would be either Kansai (southernized a la Azumanga Daioh's Osaka) or it takes place outside of Japan...
gp32 has already identified the language used in the original (a Kansai dialect; not Osaka-ben or Kyoto-ben, though showing features of both).

I haven't Southernised, it, though. The translation is into a northern English dialect, essentially a pastiche of slightly archaic Yorkshire. Not because it's specially appropriate - a southern or south-western dialect like Dorset or Hampshire would have been much a better parallel - but rather because it's the dialect I know best. (Which, as any Yorkshire speakers in the audience will doubtless have noted, isn't saying very much. Curse my middle-class upbringing!)
Old 2005-10-13, 08:25
Obsessive

Oh, that's got announced already! In some time I'm not as busy as now, I'd like to try some. Anyway, good job and otsukaresama! :-D
Old 2005-10-13, 10:10
K

Haeleth, is al|together considered over, or are we waiting on Phase EX to call it so?
Old 2005-10-13, 11:18
Irregular

AT2005 is officially over; the extended phase really is more of a mop-up operation than anything.
Old 2005-10-13, 17:40
Staff

Starting now on A Midsummer Day's Resonance.

Oh, and why is she asking the question "What is the meaning of life?" when we all know it's 42?

edit lol test-chan.

edit2 A Midsummer Day's Resonance is a very touching piece indeed. So far, I love it the most out of the three I've read (I'm going in the order of the site's banners).

edit3 The Poor Little Bird = My First Visual Novel™?
Old 2005-10-13, 20:38
Obsessive

I just finished A Midsummer Day's Resonance - an excelent localization on all counts. The characters came through brilliantly, and it even had the song from Plain Song in it!!

A big thanks to gp32 for the treat!
Old 2005-10-13, 20:45

Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I don't think it takes that long. I've gone through them all, and the end result is Resonance and Kira being on top. Kira really was a gem, and Haeleth's translation was just amazing, but I'm not quite sure why it was titled so.
The rest were enjoyable (to an extent), but I'm really curious about io. It's a part or will be a part of something bigger, no? It sits pretty well on its own, but the special background image at the postscript made me pretty curious.
Old 2005-10-14, 15:46
Obsessive

So, al|together 2K6 wll start on September 11 as well?

Well, better get cracking on how to use ONScripter if I'm gonna participate...
(And hopefully, I won't be swarmed with exams and assignments by this time next year.)

...Yes, if I ever get off my duff and learn ONScripter, I might participate...

As for how, I'm gonna pose this question to Haeleth: Does it have to stop at translating doujin Visual Novels?
Old 2005-10-14, 19:01
RvLeshrac

Default Censoring translations? Why?

I don't want to step on anyone's toes with this, but this is a broad issue that goes beyond the realm of novel translation. Don't take offense to it, as it is not expressly directed at anyone, and it should not be taken as a personal attack on any individual.

I'd just like to know why they feel this undying need to censor parts of stories that don't "fit" with Western "morality."

If you're translating someone's work, without permission, it is the purest form of disrespect to change parts that you dislike. If a translator is concerned about violence or sexual content, they should simply not translate the work. Someone else may pick it up - if they don't, at least they're not destroying what may (or may not) have been a contributor to the impact of the piece.

Would you censor one of Elie Weisel's works because it portrayed a side of humanity that many people would like to deny? I should hope the answer is an emphatic "no!"

This is not to say that the censored translations are, in and of themselves, "bad" or "poor quality," whatever words you may like. They're quite well done, and I applaud those who are eager to invest so much time and effort into them. The question, however, is not one of basic quality - it is one of whether or not the original work's impact may be lessened.

A rape would be, on multiple levels, a prime example of this. (Don't change the channel on me, now!) Many rapists (and, for that matter, murderers) get away with their crimes because the victims are so affected by the event that they self-censor. A judge or jury fails to grasp he gravity of the event because, barring personal experience, they have no way to understand the impact of the tragedy. The victim of such an event refuses to tell their story because they don't want to re-live it, they don't want the story to get out to their associates, or a number of other reasons.

The same applies to visual novels. The reader cannot necessarily experience the full impact of the story without the "distasteful" segments, in the same way that the jury might not convict a rapist because they don't hear the depraved details of the crime - in the same way that the emotion of a holocaust or war story fails to leave an impression without the details that many claim are "unnecessarily graphic."

In short, I say leave it up to the original author to determine what is or is not necessary for their story to impact those who read it. If you find yourself unable to continue a translation because the events in the story disgust you, then lay it aside or find another who is willing to finish it in its entirety.
Old 2005-10-14, 21:14
Obsessive

And again, I pose a question to our esteemed guest:

Are we supposed to attract more people to the Visual Novel Genre, or make more people shun it? Due to the fact that most of the Visual Novels Localized commercially are nothing more than glorified fap material, and the fact that the more popular of them are, and will forever remain, Japan-only, and given the small group of people who actually like the genre (Not as fap material), They are being edged out by more popular, but less interesting genres.

While I understand your concerns, the thing is, the genre is hugely unpopular with the Naruto-worshipping masses, largely due to the titles available for purchase in America. And to promote the genre, some sacrifices have to be made.

I bet the translators were grappling with this issue as well.

But the way you put it, it is bound to step on a lot of people's toes, and these people practically spent 30 days doing this for you.

Think about it. Would you be pissed off if you did something like this, edited out a minor detail, then getting railed at by the entire community just because of that minor detail?
Old 2005-10-15, 00:29
RvLeshrac

drmchsr0:

I think my point is that it ISN'T the job of the translators to alter transations to attract an audience. If the translators feel that their goal is to attract an audience, the best way to do that is to work to bring the stories as accurately as possible to the audience available, and allow word of mouth to spread the genre.

The "Naruto-worshipping masses" are unlikely to embrace the genre no matter WHAT is done. This is, sadly, an inescapable truth. The issue is not the titles that are released here (well, OK, when the most visible titles resemble "Do You Like Horny Bunnies," there's a slight problem, but I digress), the issue is that no one wants to take a chance on the expense of translation and marketing.

Authors are artists in their own right, and deserve to not have their work altered without their permission. Altering the work shows that there ISN'T a market for these works. It shows more that the American market ISN'T ready or open to more intelligent works.

I can't really speak as to what I would or would not feel with regards to criticism. I also, as I can't read Japanese, can't speak as to what is or is not a "minor" edit to any given story.

I should hope that I'd take it as the community being concerned enough about the integrity of the story to comment on it.

Again, I don't mean any disrespect to the individuals who take the extreme amounts of time and effort to translate these works. I know that *I* most certainly couldn't do it, and I'm glad that someone DOES spend the time and effort to do it. My hope, however, is the same as it is for EVERY medium in the same vein - movies, novels, games, manga, anime, comics, you name it - that the translations be as accurate as possible without censorship or content that has been in any way "sanitized."

I'll inject another extreme comparison here. Think of countries with government-controlled media (in all forms), such as China. Imagine how it would feel to live in a country where every single thing you read or see is run through government censors and sanitized for your "protection," and having no control over it. Then imagine how it would feel to live under such a system and know that, somewhere else, people are voluntarily submitting to the same actions.
Old 2005-10-15, 02:40

Can't you just see it as 'Making it suitable for all ages'? You talk about it being so bad that it's gone and blame the culture for it. But maybe underage fans would also want to play it. That might not come to anybody's mind since most people have lost the conscience of laws but I degress as well. Saying that 'censorship' is a sign that the market is not open for more intelligent works is funny. If the H-scenes were such an essential part of games that they could not be considered intelligent works anymore without them, then why are all age versions of existing adult games released in Japan? I know that is not exactly what you mean, but all ages games created on the basis of adult games would be a thing that falls under your logic. It might not have been the original intention of the author. Or maybe it was. I wonder how you can tell.
And as the most stupid possible comment: If you are 18+ you can just get the japanese version and take back what was stolen from you. If you consider the translators judged that it would be fine to leave them out, this means that you will hardly miss any important text.