gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Poll: JtYhlPRRgGqVeAXeaq
Poll Options
JtYhlPRRgGqVeAXeaq

Old 2011-10-03, 20:03
Unregistered

Quote:
Then what's with the full version excerpts featured in the comparison that was linked to 3 months ago, and in the post above me?

The main problem is this. People are saying one thing, while I'm seeing the opposite.
The full version project started on /jp/. People there tend to fervently hate things they don't agree with for whatever reason, and early on there was animosity between the project group and TLwiki, and they started being called "troll project", "machine translated", "fake", etc. But if you look more closely at what's going on you can see they're just expressions of hate, appeals to emotion, and don't amount to anything really concrete.
Quote:
If that's the case, why are people calling "Machine trans" on those specific parts in the patch?
Keep in mind that those who say this was "machine translated" may be correct... there is quite a large community at Hongfire for improving machine translation and they've made significant progress with things like Translation Aggregator and patches to ATLAS that improve accuracy. But you should ask yourself whether that's really an issue, or if it's just being thrown around as an insult to divert from what really matters: accuracy. Neither the trial nor the full version is perfect, but the comparison shows how similar (or different) they are, so they can't be that far off even if the means of translation was different.

Do you want to follow and continue repeating what everyone else on one side is saying, regardless of it being true or relevant, or find out what's real by looking at the comparison the other side gives?

Quote:
whether or not the translation is genuine or a waste of time.
Given what's said above I won't comment on what you mean by "genuine", but as to whether or not it's "a waste of time" - that depends on what's "a waste of time" to you. Do you want to entertain yourself by reading a nice story with cute pictures, or would you rather do something more productive?
Old 2011-10-03, 21:53
Regular

Send a message via AIM to X-Calibar

While the full translation is understandable in a very good way... I get Edelweiss vibes (the original translation) from some of the lines... and as much as I was enjoying Edelweiss, I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
Why?
I was spending too much time focused on the translation and not enough time enjoying the story before me. Once the reader's immersion is broken it takes that much more to get it back...

(From the full translation [from the comparison link])

"If I dare say, I may have inadvertently pressed a button."
"Indeed, was that bad!?"
"Do I even say that such a bad button was pressed?"

"B-But! It was seen!? You saw!? P-Pa......Pa......"
".........No, well, uhh......"
"As I thought, were they seen!? T-That's unpleasant, that isn't liked."
"Ehh."
"......"
"I-I'm sorry! W-Was the bump possible!?"

"Oh wow!"
"I wish you good luck------!"
"Owwww......ahh, it's already the worst."
What the fuck was that.

It just... seems... awkward every so often. That's enough to break my poor concentration! ;-;
Shou talks like this when all's going to hell?
Quote:
"If I dare say, I may have inadvertently pressed a button."
"Indeed, was that bad!?"
"Do I even say that such a bad button was pressed?"
But he talks like this when something random happens?
Quote:
What the fuck was that.

Quote:
My style of translation is to follow the original as closely as I can; while that may cause a result that doesn't look like it was written originally in English, that was not my goal.
I'm not a big fan of direct translations, at least for entertainment purposes...
I mean kudos to being able to understand it, however with a VN, I want it to convey the same impression the original should convey to a Japanese reader.

If reading the original gives you one impression, and the translation gives you another...

Last edited by X-Calibar; 2011-10-03 at 21:57.
Old 2011-10-04, 05:49
Regular

Well that tells me everything I needed. I'll give the project a few more months of waiting before give a final verdict.
Old 2011-10-06, 05:08
MuMu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Went through that comparison a while ago. I admit, he (she?) was right about not leaving anything out. Ousted me on the language's technicalities many times over and pointed out mistakes I would have never known. I would argue that with no access to the script other than through a hex-editor, I could only replace text, not add to them. Short sentences with long translations suffered the most, and some names could not be translated without crashing the game. (「はっ、八重野副会長よ」 gave me nightmares.)

The only aspect of my translation I could be proud of is how natural it sounds, and even then it's not that much better than his work. Still, 「It's your fault I ended up in this mess!」 sounds better than "I've had a difficult experience because of you!" IMO.

Nevertheless, I see that both of us started on a similar note, making use of dictionaries and a good enough feel of the language to turn Japanese sentences into English ones. It was an enjoyable learning experience, indeed. I haven't considered doing it again any time soon, but yeah, it was fun while it lasted.

I have sort of a simple love for the game, and I hope that I can get that across in my translation. =)
Old 2011-10-08, 19:25
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuMu View Post
I would argue that with no access to the script other than through a hex-editor, I could only replace text, not add to them. Short sentences with long translations suffered the most, and some names could not be translated without crashing the game. (「はっ、八重野副会長よ」 gave me nightmares.)
That explains a lot. I'll say you did a pretty good job of squeezing the English in while keeping the important points, and being pressured to fit it in would force you to reword so it sounds more natural. Although you could've joined the other project in the beginning, where line length was no obstacle.
Old 2011-12-04, 00:25
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuMu View Post
After months of procrastination, here's the translated data.pac of the trial of Flyable Heart! The game that got so much attention this year, but never a proper translation team, now's your chance to see what it's all about!

Here --> http://www.mediafire.com/?1gdd8fylrjg46fb

You can get the trial here: http://www.softpal.co.jp/unisonshift...oject19/dl.htm

Translates the main/prologue script, and all the scene trials. I wouldn't say it's the best localization, but at least it's not pure machine garbage.

My thanks goes to dsp2003 for AnimED and the person who made the fhcrypt tools. Thanks guys.

- MuMu
How do you install the patch? Do you simply replace the Japanese data.pac in the game directory?
Old 2011-12-06, 05:07
MuMu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How do you install the patch? Do you simply replace the Japanese data.pac in the game directory?
Just replace the original data.pac and you're good to go.