gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2010-05-07, 11:26
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTX View Post
That's where the line's drawn; making a profit.
And why should we care about line?
It's illegal anyways, who cares, specially now that they clearly show hostility.
Old 2010-05-07, 13:09
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerccio View Post
And why should we care about line?
It's illegal anyways, who cares, specially now that they clearly show hostility.
Guess we're all morally bankrupt.
Old 2010-05-07, 15:01
Unregistered

Quote:
1. eden* (minori)
2. ef (minori)
3. Yosuga no Sora (Cuffs)
4. Cartagra (Gungnir)
5. Kara no Shoujo (Gungnir)
Yeah, this is more than a mere coincidence. While I would ignore Minori due to their hopeless hostile actions so far, I still believe there's hope with Cuffs and Gungnir and that they deserve the benefit of doubt. There is a small chance that these two might actually want to license their games to someone like Jast, or maybe do something similar to Mangagamer.

In the case of Kara no Shoujo, the project team intents to continue underground, but I would still suggest they give Gungnir a time frame of 6~12 months to settle whatever negotiations they need in order to release Kara no Shoujo to the english market.
In the case of Yosuga no Sora, I don't know anything. But if they want to continue underground, I also hope that Cuffs is given 6~12 months. There's still a chance this will turn into something good like with Nitro+.
Old 2010-05-07, 15:16
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTX View Post
Guess we're all morally bankrupt.
Yup.

It's like if a band of murderers were discussing "Well, killing is alright, but killing for hire, NO, THIS IS WHERE WE DRAW LINE!"

Last edited by Enerccio; 2010-05-07 at 17:45.
Old 2010-05-07, 15:37
Unregistered

Default my 2cents

Wow, it would suck for Mangagamer if they did spend capital to try to license KnS and the patch still comes out. But I doubt it, I mean, the hints for their new releases point to mostly Overdrive/circus vns (D.C and Dear Drops) I doubt that they would license KnS. Or if they do, they should just contact the current KnS tl group and just do it that way to minimize potential losses etc. That is if "negotiations" finish (or even exists) in time before the fan release.

Still. Guess I'll just wait and see.
Old 2010-05-08, 00:18
Unregistered

If Dark Translations were making a profit from their translations that's obviously a big "NO NO", technically unlike other free fan translation I don't think the C&D they received can be counted.

On the other hand isn't time for TL Wiki to relocate? If 3 companies can get wind of their website it won't be long before more & more C&D come their way.
Old 2010-05-08, 03:50
Posts way too much

Quote:
Yup.

It's like if a band of murderers were discussing "Well, killing is alright, but killing for hire, NO, THIS IS WHERE WE DRAW LINE!"
It's actually more like the line between seeding torrents of pirated games and selling CDs of said games out of the back of your car. Once it turns into an activity you're doing to profit, your chance of saving face later in court goes to zero. Not to mention it's a lot riskier, as is collecting money on the internet (because SOMEONE knows your identity and they'll probably give it up if subpoena'd).

So it's not just immoral, it's pretty foolish too! I certainly wouldn't do it.

Oh, and for the general point Enerccio was trying to make earlier, I feel I have to give a bit of an explanation of what 'illegal' means in this case.

It has nothing to do with criminal law at all. Your translation is not going to land you in jail. So, in that sense, it is not illegal. However a fan translation is performing an activity that copyright law grants to the copyright holder. Copyright law also grants the copyright holder the legal right to stop others from using its exclusive privileges.

Creating e.g. a translation with permission from the copyright holder (unless you have a contract to do it that can't be ended arbitrarily) does not make it any less 'illegal' than creating the translation without said permission. Your translation is entirely without any sort of legal protection and the state of such can be turned around at will. However, the idea is that if you have permission, the copyright holder won't go and assert their rights against you.

I'll give an example of something that happened not too long ago. In fact, just click the link and read it. This will save me from explaining it.

In short, YES, fan translations are "illegal", in that they are not legal, in that the law does not protect your fan translation. But lots of things are "illegal" in that manner - if you go to visit a friend's house and that friend decides all of a sudden that you're trespassing and had better leave, the law does not protect your right to be on the property. Does this mean it was "illegal" to be on the property in the first place? Yes, if fan translations are "illegal". The matter rapidly changes after you get the C&D from the company or after your friend tells you to get off the property - the fan translation goes from being "illegal" to being illegal (well, the fan translation still doesn't breach criminal law, but bear with me here) and I think this distinction is a bit more important to remember. The eden* translation and the narcissu 2nd translation were in the same level of legality up until minori sent that C&D.

Last edited by Asceai; 2010-05-08 at 04:07.
Old 2010-05-08, 04:39
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow, it would suck for Mangagamer if they did spend capital to try to license KnS and the patch still comes out. But I doubt it, I mean, the hints for their new releases point to mostly Overdrive/circus vns (D.C and Dear Drops) I doubt that they would license KnS. Or if they do, they should just contact the current KnS tl group and just do it that way to minimize potential losses etc. That is if "negotiations" finish (or even exists) in time before the fan release.

Still. Guess I'll just wait and see.

I would like to think that if MangaGamer had Kara no Shoujo, or even were trying to get it, that someone from the company (EvoSpace or Kouryuu) would have already contacted the translator already.
Old 2010-05-08, 07:33
Obsessive

I would like to add that the concept dark translation was doing is not illegal either, IMHO. It shouldn't be, because he is not paid for TRANSLATION, he is either paid for WHAT TO TRANSLATE or for TRANSLATION process.
Old 2010-05-08, 08:03
Obsessive

Quote:
I would like to add that the concept dark translation was doing is not illegal either, IMHO. It shouldn't be, because he is not paid for TRANSLATION, he is either paid for WHAT TO TRANSLATE or for TRANSLATION process.
What's the difference?
Old 2010-05-08, 08:40
Obsessive