gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-10-11, 14:41

Default Is Higurashi's anime a good adaptation?

Recently I've read some things online that have baffled me a bit... that the Higurashi anime (1st Season) was a poor adaptation. Higurashi is one of my favorite anime, but was it adapted properly? According to what I've read, the atmosphere was all wrong in the first season, but right in the manga as well as the second season of the anime. Is the original VN's general feel entirely different than how it was portrayed in the (1st season) anime? If so, is it significant enough to call the adaptation crappy?

On an ironic side note, I actually have some friends who disliked the second season of Higurashi due to the fact it had next to no horror... which leads me to another question. Was Higurashi--no, When They Cry in general ever intended to be a horror? Or was it simply supposed to be a unique, supernatural drama and mystery with a tinge of a psychological element? I mean look at Umineko; the only really "horror-esque" moments are found in the first episode and afterward there are none.

Thanks NovelNews. :)
Old 2009-10-11, 15:35

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

I still haven't finished watching the animated adaptation of Higurashi; I've only watched the first arc so far. From that, it feels like they simply removed some of the more filler-like stuff. The main point still seems to be fine, although the reason for Ooishi contacting K1 wasn't as clear/convincing in the anime, in my opinion. I really should go watch the rest of the arcs.

I've never really regarded Higurashi as a horror visual novel. It's more of a suspense/mystery to me. Frankly, it's the parallel storytelling and Japanese setting that is the most intriguing for me.
Old 2009-10-11, 15:37
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Tatarigoroshi and Himatsubushi were cut extensively in the anime, Meakashi was also fairly misrepresented.
Old 2009-10-12, 15:29
kouryuu

My opinion is based off playing the Nintendo DS versions, but I feel like the Anime adaptation is like the cliff notes version of the game: Yes the major points, the key scenes and some of the more notable plot elements are all present and in order, but it also feels like what really gives it the atmosphere it holds in the game is missing. It's a very stripped down adaptation. Furthermore, the anime adaptation contains absolutely none of the TIPS from the games, and a lot of the times these TIPS sections help make everything from the game link up. For example, Hanyuu isn't in the anime until the second season, while the TIPS for himatsubushi really help explain why that arc is so important and what that arc was trying to tell the audience, while the anime never does. Also, the anime doesn't have any of the Otsukaresama-Kai which features the characters arguing over their theories about the mystery.

So, overall, I'd say the anime isn't necessarily bad, it's just a stripped down, Cliffnotes version. If you only want to know Higurashi well enough to have a general knowledge, the anime is good. If you truly want to get into the story and read what makes it such a great work, go play the game. As for which version of the game to play: If you understand Japanese, I recommend the DS version since it's currently considered the most complete version of the story AFAIK. Also, the artwork in the DS version is actually enjoyable, unlike the original PC version. If you don't understand Japanese, well, other people can point to the available patches or you can wait for MangaGamer's release and hope they do well on it.
Old 2009-10-12, 19:05

Sadly, I don't know Japanese. Will eventually, but for now, I can't count on that.

I suppose that means I'll just have to wait for MangaGamer... assuming its good. *sigh*

At least I can rely on the Sonozaki twins.
Old 2009-10-12, 22:51

Just finished watching Watanagashihen. It looks like more were changed in this arc, with the tournament at the toy shop being a lot more different, and the reason for Mion's reaction less obvious due to the changed story. However, judging by the episode description for the first episode in Tatarigoroshihen, it looks like a lot more are going to be cut in the next arc.
Old 2009-10-13, 00:52
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouryuu View Post
Furthermore, the anime adaptation contains absolutely none of the TIPS from the games, and a lot of the times these TIPS sections help make everything from the game link up. For example, Hanyuu isn't in the anime until the second season, while the TIPS for himatsubushi really help explain why that arc is so important and what that arc was trying to tell the audience, while the anime never does.
I have watched all of the anime except for Rei and didn't think there were any gaping holes in it. So even if details were missing, they skipped stuff in a way that it didn't distract from the viewing experience.

I haven't played the game yet, but the part about TIPS seems strange to me. If you need an extra section that has to explain what just happened... sounds like really bad storytelling to me.
Old 2009-10-13, 05:51
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaioShin View Post
I haven't played the game yet, but the part about TIPS seems strange to me. If you need an extra section that has to explain what just happened... sounds like really bad storytelling to me.
Play it before shooting.
Old 2009-10-13, 07:37
Local

Umineko is far Better ^_^
Old 2009-10-13, 18:30
kouryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaioShin View Post
The TIPS section doesn't necessarily "explain" what just happened, it just adds more. They're basically scenes that aren't necessary to the story, but compliment it well. They're also scenes that wouldn't occur if you didn't make the right choices.

Spoiler

In short, the TIPS aren't *necessary* to the story at all, but they add an entirely new layer to the stories that makes it such a shame NOT to read them.
Old 2009-10-13, 21:21

I think TIPS give you a fuller experience and allows the story to be told in parallel instead of linearly. Sometimes TIPS can get a bit long, though, like when they stuck the first chapter of Matsuribayashi in the last TIPS entry in the PS2 version. Basically, when I played through the first several arcs, I skipped the tips entirely and still understood what was going on. However, later on, I started reading all of them, and it really does fill in some extra details and made the experience more enjoyable. I guess you can think of it this way: take all the nonessential parts of the story and make it optional for the reader so that the reader can decided whether to read those or not.
Old 2009-10-14, 05:25
Local

Send a message via AIM to pbsaffran Send a message via Skype™ to pbsaffran

I think you all forget how the game came to be.

Back in the days, it was one game every 6 months or more. The tips were a nice way to develop the characters with completely random infos, because the rest of the story was being written.
You are looking at the games and thinking "well I have access to all of the story anyway" but it simply wasn't the case back then.

I still think it's amazing that some of the tips in game one allude to some really big secrets revealed on the later games. The info is there, it's just given to you in a way so simple that you don't really pay attention to it.

And btw, it looks like production might be on time for the french version of the game. So if you're french or canadian, check the internets in around 3 weeks. You will only get two books and will have to wait for -months- before the rest comes out. Maybe that way you will understand why the tips are important.
Old 2009-10-14, 09:08
Local

I can tell for sure that 11eyes anime is an UBER SHIT adaptation.
Old 2009-10-14, 13:05

You mean just like Chaos;QUALITY? :3
Old 2009-10-16, 00:22
Regular

OK, in this case I stand corrected. The TIPS do sound intriguing. When I first heard this it reminded of the Xenosaga games on the PS2 where half of the background story was outsourced to the game's database >_<