gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-11-30, 04:25
Regular

Default Praise for "Collage"

definitely the most enjoyable imo of all the recent releases..i especially enjoyed seeing things from the different perspectives and some parts being excluded from the reader until near the "end" so that things are gradually made more clear

hah felt more like watching a jdrama than reading a visual novel
Old 2006-11-30, 06:08
Addicted

Glad to hear it!

I wasn't expecting to see much feedback due to its length and atypical non-anime style, but it's good to see that people are playing and enjoying it.
Old 2006-11-30, 06:48
Unregistered

Oh, I definitely agree. Much as Kira was the jewel of last year's AT, I feel Collage is by far the best release of 2k6, though for reasons that couldn't be further apart :).

The first thing that hits you is the stylishness, and the design of the interface - very original.

I felt the story/writing was very good - what surprised me was that being in the shoes of the female characters felt natural. I have no problems relating to female characters, but usually when you read a piece in this genre from a female perspective the writing comes across as... somewhat fake. I can't quite put my finger on it, but in my experience they tend to have a tacky feel. This, on the otherhand, felt genuine, realistic, and interesting.

My one gripe about the game is that the branches were rather stupid. There is always two choices, one good and one bad, and the bad choice always immediately leads to a bad end. So... what is the point of that?
Old 2006-11-30, 06:55
Local

I will voice my agreement as well. A praise to the maker for such a innovative narrative and AstCd2 for translating it for us. The only thing which bothered me are how it has a lot of dead choices and the "drama" cliche, but it is a nice game overall.
Old 2006-11-30, 10:17

Quote:
I felt the story/writing was very good - what surprised me was that being in the shoes of the female characters felt natural. I have no problems relating to female characters, but usually when you read a piece in this genre from a female perspective the writing comes across as... somewhat fake. I can't quite put my finger on it, but in my experience they tend to have a tacky feel. This, on the otherhand, felt genuine, realistic, and interesting.
Might it depend on the gender of the author? There're sometimes problems when a female perspective is written by a male, with the author trying to hard to imagine how a woman might think (a lot of stereotypes show through as a result).

However, with Collage, my distinct impression was that the author was female. For one, the viewpoint of Yosimura was much less intimate and much more one-dimensional than that of the other two characters. The portrayal of his character also seemed to reflect a modern Japanese stereotype (i.e. the guy being detached, dense, and ultimately unnecessary in raising children and within the household. Throughout the work, he's only interesting to the female characters because "you don't need a reason to love someone").

Of course, I could be completely wrong on this, but that's just my hunch.
Old 2006-11-30, 10:56
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Oh, I definitely agree. Much as Kira was the jewel of last year's AT, I feel Collage is by far the best release of 2k6, though for reasons that couldn't be further apart :).

The first thing that hits you is the stylishness, and the design of the interface - very original.

My one gripe about the game is that the branches were rather stupid. There is always two choices, one good and one bad, and the bad choice always immediately leads to a bad end. So... what is the point of that?
i actually LIKE that a bad choice automatically leads to a bad ending because non-harem-style visual novels like this one feel more readable and enjoyable to me when they're semi-linear
Old 2006-11-30, 11:00
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I suppose it's intended to add the illusion of interactivity. Fate/stay night suffers from exactly the same problem, though it mitigates it in part by rewarding the player for collecting bad endings. ^^
Old 2006-11-30, 11:30
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

I also extremely enjoyed Collage. I thought that executing the story as a slice of life in a very normal Japanese setting was externally brilliant. After dealing with hours and hours of brighlyt colored haired, overly cheerful, and loli imouto, just to read how normal people in Japan could lead a normal life, only with a small twist of abnormality to it all, was highly satisfying.

Thanks a bunch AstCd2 for this excellent translation =D.
Old 2006-12-01, 05:35
Regular

Hmmm, if they had anime character sprites I bet Maria would be the take-no-prisoners smarter-then-everyone-else gothloli.

I loved this piece for showing what could be done with visual novels. Unfortunately, it also shows that a live-action perspective is better than animation.

And don't diss male-written female characters. They're just more moe (Crest of the Stars, Kino no Tabi, Suzumiya Haruhi) I take it a gauge of writing ability if a man can convincingly portray women (considering males are supposed to do worse in verbal / oral / written / language / communication skills.)
Old 2006-12-01, 06:10
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool View Post
I loved this piece for showing what could be done with visual novels. Unfortunately, it also shows that a live-action perspective is better than animation.
I wouldn't particularly say better, but it shows that visual novels can be used as an effective live-action presentation medium and because it was live action style, it was refreshingly different from anything else typically seen within the genre.

On that note though, I think it was better Collage was a sound novel rather then a visual novel. First off, it probably would have looked really weird if we used actual people sprites in different poses like they do in visual novels, but I think more so in a story like Collage, the reader creates the perfect human to fit the role their reading, as they can connect with these people a bit easier and have most likely met other people in the real world that share similar traits to the characters.
Old 2006-12-22, 09:08
Anonymous

It's a bit late (three weeks since the last post,LOL) to say this, but I'm very grateful to astcd2 and insani for releasing "Collage". I've read many visual novels, but for me, "Collage" stands out for it's originality in story retelling and design. I would have never imagined a story of the life of people could be told as... uh... realistically like this using visual novel media. I'm having high expectations for your next releases. Keep up the good work ^^