gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-13, 06:06
Ex-boss

Default Moving to VisualNews

Update: as you can see, we've moved! We're still ironing out the kinks, so let us know if you can see any problems. Give the VN team a few days to fix obvious bugs and get a nice theme installed, and then the board should be back to normal in its new home.

----

So, I've been talking with the VisualNews guys about the possibility of transferring this forum to their site.

Why? Mainly because I simply don't have the time to run a forum properly any more - you've doubtless noticed it's been taking longer for spam to be removed recently. That's only going to get worse. Secondly, I know part of the community is unhappy with certain restrictions I've imposed recently that are stopping you talking about subjects of great interest to you all. This seemed like a way to kill two birds with one stone.

(Why not just add more moderators here? Because that wouldn't solve the second issue. I don't want to censor people, but nor can I permit people to talk about things I consider wrong on a board I own.)

What will change? Really, just the software and the management. The boards will be running on vBulletin, which is better and more secure than phpBB, and they will be being moderated by Misu, Message, and the rest of the VisualNews team, instead of by me. All your existing posts and accounts will still be there, and the spirit and atmosphere of the forums - unrestricted guest posting, light-handed moderation - will be the same.

Oh, and Misu promises to provide proper spoiler tags (with rot13 available for oldfashioned types)! That's something a lot of people have been wanting for a long time.

Anyway, that's what we're thinking of doing. I'm announcing it here and now because I don't want to spring a change like that on people without warning -- and because if anyone has questions or objections, they deserve an opportunity to be heard before we go ahead and take actions that affect you all.

Last edited by Haeleth; 2006-11-27 at 05:18.
Old 2006-11-13, 08:17

I think this is the best move.
Because of what your site was offering for a long time, i really always saw this forum as one of the centres of the VN translation scene... so to take away a significant portion of that with new rules would be silly.

But... this board has such a relaxing and homely colour scheme compared to visual news. Any chance of fixing that, Mizu? =P
Old 2006-11-13, 08:35
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

The revision of VN that is currently being worked on is a white and blue color scheme similar to the old days of VN. For the forums, the skin's default coloring will be a white and blue varient. For old times sake though, I did add a secondary skin that matches the gemots warm brown colors for anyone who wants to use that as their defualt skin =P.
Old 2006-11-13, 09:53
Local

Merging two sites seems to be a good idea. More neighbours to commute with. It will take some time to adapt, but I guess that is not any big ordeal.

Seems like you have some problems at hand currently, Haeleth. Hope you can get over them soon.
Old 2006-11-13, 10:31
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.A
Merging two sites seems to be a good idea. More neighbours to commute with. It will take some time to adapt, but I guess that is not any big ordeal.
VN unfortunately doesnt really have a community or active forum, so there really isnt any new neighbours to deal with par se, so I dont think there will be any problems "adapting". I'll try my best though to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
But... this board has such a relaxing and homely colour scheme compared to visual news. Any chance of fixing that, Mizu? =P
Yeah yeah... I realize VN is stupidly ugly... actually more like stupidly boring, changes are coming though and hopefully ppl will like the new layout a bit better ^^.

Oh, and it probably doesnt need to be said, but I'll be checking this thread pretty frequently to answer any questions also, so feel free to direct any towards me.
Old 2006-11-13, 11:46
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Personally, I don't care where this forum is hosted or what software it runs on, and I understand Haeleth's concerns, but I really like the name "Gemot" and the colour scheme. :) I have seen enough blue-and-white forums that the next one which invites me will invite me to vomit all over it.

I am doing finals this week but if Misu wants a better site design he is always free to contact me.
Old 2006-11-13, 11:59
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shii
Personally, I don't care where this forum is hosted or what software it runs on, and I understand Haeleth's concerns, but I really like the name "Gemot" and the colour scheme. :) I have seen enough blue-and-white forums that the next one which invites me will invite me to vomit all over it.

I am doing finals this week but if Misu wants a better site design he is always free to contact me.
Well, I want the forums to match the color scheme of the main page. You've got a very valid point of blue and white being way overused. Hrmm... I've always liked green.... do you think a green and white VisualNews would look nice? The new frontpage layout though is a lot slicker then the old one. Colors can be changed around fairly easily. And like I said, for anyone who doesnt like the default, I'll make a skin that will try to match up the Gemot's colors.

As for naming, Haeleth wouldnt let us keep calling it the haelepes gemot (=P), so we had to settle for VisualNews Gemot.
Old 2006-11-13, 12:01
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

That is a sweet name, you have made me happy, thank you.

Green and white would be an interesting choice. It's a pleasant combination which you don't see much on websites (although I use it on shii.org, but that page is going to be scrapped for other things later).
Old 2006-11-21, 18:27
Addicted

Okay, heres the plan for migration!

Assuming Haeleth and I meet up at our roughly planned time tomorrow, the migration will take place at 6:00PM PST.

Upon the start of migration, Hlees gemot will be put into maintanence mode and will be closed between one to two hours.

Afterwords, VisualNews Gemot will be available. ALL Avatars will have to be either relinked or reuploaded to VN:G's servers. So if you really like your avatar, make sure you know the URL of it and/or save it.

Also, upon first login, please go and check your profiles to make sure everything is correct. Update if needed.

For the time being, we will be using the default vBulletin skin after migration. Yes I know its ugly. Yes I know its blue and white. But have some sympathy on a guy when he has no computer right now besides his work computer and has a holiday in a day or so (so no computer access).

HTML is disabled all throughout the boards. Please use BB code from now on.

A bugs and update thread will be created upon the migration so you can see whats happening to the forum over the next week or so after migration and report bugs that you find throughout the forum. Yes, there will be bugs! (Well, unless a miracle happens). Please help me find them so we can clean up after migration.

As for those who hate captcha, yes there will be captcha enabled for a little bit till I create a much better way to control spam. Please bear with me in the intial weeks. I hate capthca too.

That is all. If you have any last minute questions, better ask now or else you probably wont get a second chance till after migration.

Thanks for all your understanding guys ^^.
Old 2006-11-22, 02:38
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misu
HTML is disabled all throughout the boards. Please use BB code from now on.
            -‐-
        , '      ヽ
          i イノノノリ)))〉      / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
          !  | ( i] i]`|l       |
        !l l ゝ" ' /!i_   < えっ、じゃ、じゃあ、これからこういうのは駄目なの?
           /^〔)ロ(l ((ァi.     |
         /  |〈,|!〉/`/     \_____
.       `7^ス. l|「、,/
      __ / //  |!|
.      `つ,》ノ i  l| |
         |__ll__ゝ
          |  | |
            「~^|''~|
            |  ll  !
            |  ||  !
            |  |.!  !
            F⌒Y⌒)

(I use a styled div to set the correct font, as most AAs rely on specific character spacing.)

If this is a permanent thing, you'll need to create some additional BB-codes - at least one to take the place of <span title="Translation">日本語</span>. (Edit: this has been done. Use the new AA bb-code for ascii arts, and the new JP bbcode for spans.)

Last edited by Haeleth; 2006-11-27 at 05:19.
Old 2006-11-22, 09:31
Addicted

That I can do ^^.

I should make a suggestion box thread too so ppl can throw those kinds of ideas at me =P.
Besides, how could I resist to that utterly cute Shiori =P
Old 2006-11-22, 20:08
Addicted

First import run: FAILED
Second imort run: FAILED AGAIN

Hopefully third time is a charm? Well, it'll be a couple more days before we do a third attempt at migration. Theres a bit more research and test runs that need to be done. It'll be announced when we try again.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Old 2006-11-22, 23:22
Obsessive

And a sad panicked avatar to go with it?
Old 2006-11-23, 11:44
Local

Ah. Heh heh. That would explain the difficulty I was having in getting in.

Oh well. Gonna brace for another one in the next attempt at the big move. Hmm-hmm.
Old 2006-11-23, 11:50
Ex-boss

We'll try not to turn the board right off next time. At worst it'll go read-only, at best we might be able to keep it running and migrate any extra posts that come in after the migration by hand.
Closed Thread