gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2004-11-13, 11:20
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath
You cannot really compare this case to Java or Python. This is much, much more high level and so parsing at run time doesn't have anywhere near as much impact.
Good point. A better comparison would be to other 90s-era game scripting languages, like Quake C, which I believe also compiles to bytecode - and to things like ZZT, which interprets text directly, and for which the interpreter overhead really does affect execution speed noticably for more complex scripts. On a 386, anyway. ^^;

While you're quite right that 99% of AVG32 code is graphics-bound, there are occasional exceptions. For example, my name changing routine in Kanon (which has to do some nasty stuff to work around an AVG32 bug) executes something like 10,000 instructions on average, and uses a huge Shift_JIS lookup table that takes my compiler several seconds to process. With ahead-of-time compilation, the whole thing runs without a noticable pause; I'm not sure how well a pure textual interpreter would do. Of course, that's not typical AVG32 code... in fact, it's the only non-trivial example of a CPU-bound routine I can think of.

It's interesting to compare AVG32 to RealLive, which is noticably higher level - for example, its bytecode includes expressions almost verbatim, with the interpreter even resolving operator precedence rules, whereas AVG32 breaks all arithmetic down into two-position code. It's quite clear that by the RealLive stage, performance has ceased to be a concern. Their compiler doesn't optimise at all - it doesn't even fold constants.
Old 2004-11-13, 16:12

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Keep in mind that bytecode works really well on game consoles, due to the lack of brute general purpose processing power and memory.
Old 2005-01-13, 01:23
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Donut Send a message via MSN to Donut

And if you want to keep it simple you could use HTML, it's not that bad actully i was planning to use it :P
Old 2005-11-03, 09:56
Rambo

Default need help

hey i downloaded a game but its a bunch of txt and it tells me to compile :/

any1 can help me how to compile it?
it says its kirikiri 2core
gonna upload the file to a site thnx

http://rapidshare.de/files/7141807/N...ument.txt.html

if any1 can compile this and send me or tell me how to compile id be grateful :D
Old 2005-11-03, 12:45
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
to things like ZZT, which interprets text directly
Funny you should mention that - I just downloaded ZZT the other day in an effort to relive the computer gaming of my youth.
There's an idea: create a <strike>visual</strike> novel title using only ZZT! The horror!

Also, if you're looking into visual novel engines, have a look at the ONScripter page. All of the documentation has been painstakingly translated to English by the irreplaceable gp32. ONScripter is - to me - a bit scarier-looking than KAG3, but you can't go wrong with full English documentation.
Old 2005-11-03, 13:05
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
ONScripter is - to me - a bit scarier-looking than KAG3, but you can't go wrong with full English documentation.
Unfortunately there's no such thing as full NScripter documentation. Seriously, a good proportion of the system is completely undocumented. The stuff gp32 translated is as comprehensive as anything, but there's an awful lot missing from it. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo
any1 can help me how to compile it?
it says its kirikiri 2core
Yep, you need KiriKiri, like it says. You can get it here.
Old 2005-11-03, 13:20
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
Unfortunately there's no such thing as full NScripter documentation. Seriously, a good proportion of the system is completely undocumented. The stuff gp32 translated is as comprehensive as anything, but there's an awful lot missing from it. :/
Symantics. :-P I guess I should amend my earlier erroneous statment to say "full enough documentation for most projects you'd want to start from scratch" or something like that, then.
Old 2005-11-03, 14:33
Rambo

Hey thanks for the reply! :)
Though I download this kirikiri thingy and I haved no idea how to use it XD
Old 2005-11-03, 14:39
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
I guess I should amend my earlier erroneous statment to say "full enough documentation for most projects you'd want to start from scratch" or something like that, then.
But it doesn't even mention the syntax for displaying text in English! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo
I download this kirikiri thingy and I haved no idea how to use it XD
The next question is, can you read the documentation? If so, it should all be explained in there. If you don't understand Japanese, you have an excuse. ^_^
Old 2005-11-03, 18:06

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

He has to load the main program (krkr.exe in the kirikiri2 folder), and tell it where to find the game data files. Either specify the directory, or the xp3 I believe.
Old 2005-11-03, 22:38
Addicted

Just a note on the KAG3 documentation: passing it through a machine translator such as Babelfish will not yield grammatically correct results; however, the output IS coherant enough that you should to be able to begin work on a new project.
  #