gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2007-11-27, 11:37
Local

Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman
Default Damn spam bots!!

If the bot IP's are listed in the logs for the Admin CP, if you want to, you can post them or PM them to me and I'll trace them to their home servers.
Old 2007-11-27, 13:46
Local

I have them on our forum as well. Looks like some Korean IPs scanning for security holes. There's lot shit comming from Asia past time. Recently China tried to spy German government servers with trojans lol.. (China got some clear words from the ministry..)
Old 2007-11-28, 01:19
Unregistered

Step back, it's the internet vigilantes!
What would you do with those 'home servers'? You do realise there is probably never two posts from the same IP, right?
People run these spam bot applications on vast networks (hundreds of thousands) of virus infected home machines. Tracing it or putting a stop to it at the source is a fruitless task.
Old 2007-11-28, 09:13
Local

Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman

It doesn't matter if the IP renews, because I find it similar to a proxy. It will still track it down to the area where the proxy itself was used, so changing an IP will make it impossible to..."hack"...it directly. But if I find a connection, like more than one leading to a big city, a little investigating can get me an IP for the main server host.

Albeit, when I actually get to the server, I'll probably need some extra help to actually "do" anything. And if what you say is true, and they come off home computers....it is entirely plausible to find the source of the virus/spam bot, but it would take months to years of going through each individual computer, and connecting the carbon copy traces.

Either way, it's worth a shot, if I trace...let's say 5 of them, and they all register as different, I would call it off and not even bother. A better thing to do would be to set the registration to await for Admin approval, I think that would work.
Old 2007-11-28, 09:24
dsp2003

T____T Ghhrrr!! Spam bots. Do you know that my main e-mail address is banned here because of them? I couldn't register here by using the mail.ru account. So, i was supposed to register a new on gmail.com. Damn it!
Old 2007-11-28, 12:10
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
T____T Ghhrrr!! Spam bots. Do you know that my main e-mail address is banned here because of them? I couldn't register here by using the mail.ru account. So, i was supposed to register a new on gmail.com. Damn it!
Not only do I too use gmail, but it's also a very commonly used email service now for spammers because they can just go crazy and make new accounts. I liked back when it was exclusive...so you could only invite people.

Spam bots piss me off too...>.<
Old 2007-11-28, 19:31
Regular

How would you know if it came from an unsuspecting home computer or if came from Joe Doe's Supah Basement Machine for Creating Havoc on the InterWebs?
Old 2007-11-29, 03:59
Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutio View Post
I have them on our forum as well. Looks like some Korean IPs scanning for security holes. There's lot shit comming from Asia past time. Recently China tried to spy German government servers with trojans lol.. (China got some clear words from the ministry..)
You say like it's all of the Chinese or Korean fault that those bots attacked the "poor" Germans. There's assholeslike this in any country, the fact that Asians have more and more SPAM bots is because it's globalizating, everyone have more and more spambots because of jackasses. Please, dont reffer to any country as that us their fault and everyone are guilty.
Old 2007-11-29, 07:36
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool View Post
How would you know if it came from an unsuspecting home computer or if came from Joe Doe's Supah Basement Machine for Creating Havoc on the InterWebs?
By tracing the IP, then I'd know what machine sent the spam bot. Source or not. But if it's the origional creator you're talking about...that could take months, but it wouldn't be impossible.

@Savta-tan: Sure that's true, but what was said, was that more of them are coming from Asia. If we are going to wave fingers, I could just as easily say that you shouldn't "imply" the United States of doing it.
Old 2007-11-29, 09:37
Regular

Goddamnit, they're up to their old tricks again!!
Old 2007-11-29, 11:23
3dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Freeman View Post
By tracing the IP, then I'd know what machine sent the spam bot. Source or not. But if it's the origional creator you're talking about...that could take months, but it wouldn't be impossible.
I believe he's referring to the possibility that the spam is being created by computers that are members of a botnet. If that is the case, you may trace and block one or two hosts, but to block them all would be an insurmountable task. The tasks assigned to each node in a botnet can change on a daily if not hourly basis.

You have noble intentions, but the task of getting rid of forum spam is a defensive game rather than an offensive one. I will agree that something should be done about it though.
Old 2007-11-29, 11:45
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dB View Post
I believe he's referring to the possibility that the spam is being created by computers that are members of a botnet. If that is the case, you may trace and block one or two hosts, but to block them all would be an insurmountable task. The tasks assigned to each node in a botnet can change on a daily if not hourly basis.

You have noble intentions, but the task of getting rid of forum spam is a defensive game rather than an offensive one. I will agree that something should be done about it though.
Precisely why I stated it would take months to even find the original source, unless it's all coming from related servers. It's an amazing workload, I couldn't do it by myself, well...I could trace every single one, but to even take a course of action, I'd need help.

First though, the defensive action should be played, you're right on that one. Like setting the account registration so admins must verify the account, unless they are actually delving through the system and spontaniously creating false accounts...although I wouldn't see why any kind of hacker would even bother to do that much work for little cause.
Old 2007-11-29, 11:56
z_Z work sucks

Send a message via AIM to dovac

Don't bother its a never ending work, at least the spam filter catches 90% of the spam

woo~ blog
Old 2007-11-29, 12:02
Local

I love tracking down jack-asses. I see it as more of another obstacle rather than boring work :p

But I just looked at one of the spam threads, and now there's explicit content being posted. Didn't think it would get that far...
Old 2007-11-29, 21:11
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savta-tan View Post
You say like it's all of the Chinese or Korean fault that those bots attacked the "poor" Germans. There's assholeslike this in any country, the fact that Asians have more and more SPAM bots is because it's globalizating, everyone have more and more spambots because of jackasses. Please, dont reffer to any country as that us their fault and everyone are guilty.
I think he means the country's government (eg. Chinese government) it's self was doing the spying which makes it very much that country's fault.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-by-china.html