gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2007-11-27, 11:37
The One Freeman's Avatar
The One Freeman The One Freeman is offline
Local
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, California ; USA
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman
Default Damn spam bots!!

If the bot IP's are listed in the logs for the Admin CP, if you want to, you can post them or PM them to me and I'll trace them to their home servers.
__________________
Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist. He is shot aliens an' make their face blooded but doesn't afraid of anything!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2007-11-27, 13:46
mutio's Avatar
mutio mutio is offline
Local
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 118
Default

I have them on our forum as well. Looks like some Korean IPs scanning for security holes. There's lot shit comming from Asia past time. Recently China tried to spy German government servers with trojans lol.. (China got some clear words from the ministry..)
__________________
Visual-Novels.Net
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2007-11-28, 01:19
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Step back, it's the internet vigilantes!
What would you do with those 'home servers'? You do realise there is probably never two posts from the same IP, right?
People run these spam bot applications on vast networks (hundreds of thousands) of virus infected home machines. Tracing it or putting a stop to it at the source is a fruitless task.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2007-11-28, 09:13
The One Freeman's Avatar
The One Freeman The One Freeman is offline
Local
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, California ; USA
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman
Default

It doesn't matter if the IP renews, because I find it similar to a proxy. It will still track it down to the area where the proxy itself was used, so changing an IP will make it impossible to..."hack"...it directly. But if I find a connection, like more than one leading to a big city, a little investigating can get me an IP for the main server host.

Albeit, when I actually get to the server, I'll probably need some extra help to actually "do" anything. And if what you say is true, and they come off home computers....it is entirely plausible to find the source of the virus/spam bot, but it would take months to years of going through each individual computer, and connecting the carbon copy traces.

Either way, it's worth a shot, if I trace...let's say 5 of them, and they all register as different, I would call it off and not even bother. A better thing to do would be to set the registration to await for Admin approval, I think that would work.
__________________
Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist. He is shot aliens an' make their face blooded but doesn't afraid of anything!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2007-11-28, 09:24
dsp2003
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

T____T Ghhrrr!! Spam bots. Do you know that my main e-mail address is banned here because of them? I couldn't register here by using the mail.ru account. So, i was supposed to register a new on gmail.com. Damn it!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2007-11-28, 12:10
The One Freeman's Avatar
The One Freeman The One Freeman is offline
Local
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, California ; USA
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
T____T Ghhrrr!! Spam bots. Do you know that my main e-mail address is banned here because of them? I couldn't register here by using the mail.ru account. So, i was supposed to register a new on gmail.com. Damn it!
Not only do I too use gmail, but it's also a very commonly used email service now for spammers because they can just go crazy and make new accounts. I liked back when it was exclusive...so you could only invite people.

Spam bots piss me off too...>.<
__________________
Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist. He is shot aliens an' make their face blooded but doesn't afraid of anything!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2007-11-28, 19:31
DaFool DaFool is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 97
Default

How would you know if it came from an unsuspecting home computer or if came from Joe Doe's Supah Basement Machine for Creating Havoc on the InterWebs?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2007-11-29, 03:59
Savta-tan's Avatar
Savta-tan Savta-tan is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 34
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutio View Post
I have them on our forum as well. Looks like some Korean IPs scanning for security holes. There's lot shit comming from Asia past time. Recently China tried to spy German government servers with trojans lol.. (China got some clear words from the ministry..)
You say like it's all of the Chinese or Korean fault that those bots attacked the "poor" Germans. There's assholeslike this in any country, the fact that Asians have more and more SPAM bots is because it's globalizating, everyone have more and more spambots because of jackasses. Please, dont reffer to any country as that us their fault and everyone are guilty.
__________________
A proud Nitro+ fan.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2007-11-29, 07:36
The One Freeman's Avatar
The One Freeman The One Freeman is offline
Local
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, California ; USA
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool View Post
How would you know if it came from an unsuspecting home computer or if came from Joe Doe's Supah Basement Machine for Creating Havoc on the InterWebs?
By tracing the IP, then I'd know what machine sent the spam bot. Source or not. But if it's the origional creator you're talking about...that could take months, but it wouldn't be impossible.

@Savta-tan: Sure that's true, but what was said, was that more of them are coming from Asia. If we are going to wave fingers, I could just as easily say that you shouldn't "imply" the United States of doing it.
__________________
Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist. He is shot aliens an' make their face blooded but doesn't afraid of anything!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2007-11-29, 09:37
HashiriyaR32's Avatar
HashiriyaR32 HashiriyaR32 is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 79
Default

Goddamnit, they're up to their old tricks again!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2007-11-29, 11:23
3dB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Freeman View Post
By tracing the IP, then I'd know what machine sent the spam bot. Source or not. But if it's the origional creator you're talking about...that could take months, but it wouldn't be impossible.
I believe he's referring to the possibility that the spam is being created by computers that are members of a botnet. If that is the case, you may trace and block one or two hosts, but to block them all would be an insurmountable task. The tasks assigned to each node in a botnet can change on a daily if not hourly basis.

You have noble intentions, but the task of getting rid of forum spam is a defensive game rather than an offensive one. I will agree that something should be done about it though.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2007-11-29, 11:45
The One Freeman's Avatar
The One Freeman The One Freeman is offline
Local
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, California ; USA
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dB View Post
I believe he's referring to the possibility that the spam is being created by computers that are members of a botnet. If that is the case, you may trace and block one or two hosts, but to block them all would be an insurmountable task. The tasks assigned to each node in a botnet can change on a daily if not hourly basis.

You have noble intentions, but the task of getting rid of forum spam is a defensive game rather than an offensive one. I will agree that something should be done about it though.
Precisely why I stated it would take months to even find the original source, unless it's all coming from related servers. It's an amazing workload, I couldn't do it by myself, well...I could trace every single one, but to even take a course of action, I'd need help.

First though, the defensive action should be played, you're right on that one. Like setting the account registration so admins must verify the account, unless they are actually delving through the system and spontaniously creating false accounts...although I wouldn't see why any kind of hacker would even bother to do that much work for little cause.
__________________
Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist. He is shot aliens an' make their face blooded but doesn't afraid of anything!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2007-11-29, 11:56
dovac dovac is offline
z_Z work sucks
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: home..
Posts: 73
Send a message via AIM to dovac
Default

Don't bother its a never ending work, at least the spam filter catches 90% of the spam
__________________

woo~ blog
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2007-11-29, 12:02
The One Freeman's Avatar
The One Freeman The One Freeman is offline
Local
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, California ; USA
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman
Default

I love tracking down jack-asses. I see it as more of another obstacle rather than boring work :p

But I just looked at one of the spam threads, and now there's explicit content being posted. Didn't think it would get that far...
__________________
Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist. He is shot aliens an' make their face blooded but doesn't afraid of anything!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2007-11-29, 21:11
jyuichi's Avatar
jyuichi jyuichi is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savta-tan View Post
You say like it's all of the Chinese or Korean fault that those bots attacked the "poor" Germans. There's assholeslike this in any country, the fact that Asians have more and more SPAM bots is because it's globalizating, everyone have more and more spambots because of jackasses. Please, dont reffer to any country as that us their fault and everyone are guilty.
I think he means the country's government (eg. Chinese government) it's self was doing the spying which makes it very much that country's fault.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-by-china.html
__________________
Twitter: @jyuichi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Requesting help on extensionless audio files (damn Buriko GI) HashiriyaR32 Technical Issues 6 2010-01-12 16:42
Damn Summer, Cicadas, and the Girl. jebbito General Discussion 38 2009-06-16 23:57
Anti-spam discussion Varion General Discussion 14 2008-04-18 14:28
What's with all the spam? byndhrzn General Discussion 10 2007-09-25 14:37
Spam filtering notes Haeleth General Discussion 0 2006-06-26 00:39


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 15:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.