gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2007-03-03, 18:10
Unregistered

Default Adventure Game not Visual Novel

Hello

I see that you say visual novel for all these games

But most of the games is not visual novel but ADV or AVG which is for Adventure Game

Originally visual novel is called sound novel, because it is novel + sound

Leaf release game which is novel + picture, and this is called visual novel

Sound novel and visual novel are called novel game

Game which is not novel type is called adventure game

Novel game is actually a type of adventure game also
Old 2007-03-03, 18:13
Addicted

つ http://forums.visualnews.net/showthread.php?t=6562

The distinction you raise is a valid one, of course, but 'Visual Novel' has gained currency with fans in the West, due to the potential of confusing 'Adventure Game' with western adventure games, which are very different things.
Old 2007-03-03, 18:20
rg4619

That's correct. However, most English-speaking fans don't care to bother with those distinctions (which are a bit silly, if you ask me).

Also, it might be confusing for Westerners to adopt the Adventure Game classification, since there's already another genre with that name.
Old 2007-03-03, 20:14
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Also, when VisualNews was started, we had to select a "term" to encompass the very broad game type we wanted to cover that included visual novels, eroge, ren'ai, ADV, HRPG, and whatever other crazy acronym that the Japanese had created, and chose to use the term "visual novel" as that one classifier word. It is not that it is necessarily "correct", but for convenience sake, it seems to be the world that the English community has selected to describe the majority of these style of games.
Old 2007-03-03, 22:52
Regular

The distinction between ADV and NVL-style games is a fairly weak one, and it's not unheard of for a single game to include both kinds of presentation. (For example, Binary Hearts is an OEL game that uses ADV-mode for dialogue and NVL-mode for narration.)

That being the case, I think it's okay to call both styles visual novels, as they use pictures and text to present a story.

My own definition of visual novel is something like:

A visual novel is a computer program that uses text, pictures, and music to present a story, without using gameplay elements more complicated then menus. A visual novel should be simple enough that a human designer can reason about all paths through the game.

(When the game becomes too complex for the designer to easily reason about all playthroughs, that's where I draw the simulation game line.)
Old 2007-03-04, 01:34

Hey guys I finally did it! I'm so lazy when it comes to registering, but from now on, no more faceless posting. Anyway, since this is exactly the type of topic I'm interested in, please have a look at the guide I've compiled on this subject.
http://atp.manga.sk/activities/grh/grh.htm

I divided the terms into their Japanese usage (left side) and their English usage (right side).

Also, I've added my own views in the "suggested English" part (centre). Mostly it's the division in VN-CYOA, VN-adventure and VN-linear that I love so much.

I'll appreciate comments and tweaks and additions, since you will probably have more exact knowledge about the Japanese usage and meaning. I've not been able to find out several things, like for instance what "kichiku" means as a word and so on. In any case, it would be nice if, based on comments and suggestions this could be a reference that everyone could live with, which would be great, IMO, and I'll gladly rework and rephrase whatever is needed.
Old 2007-03-04, 01:46
Unregistered

>> had to select a "term" to encompass the very broad game type we wanted to cover

?

The term used for all this game types is Adventure Game
Old 2007-03-04, 01:51

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
>> had to select a "term" to encompass the very broad game type we wanted to cover

?

The term used for all this game types is Adventure Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619
Also, it might be confusing for Westerners to adopt the Adventure Game classification, since there's already another genre with that name.
When people in the US think of adventure game, they think of stuff from Sierra like King's Quest or stuff from Lucasarts like Monkey Island.
Old 2007-03-04, 02:14
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I've not been able to find out several things, like for instance what "kichiku" means as a word and so on.
'Kichiku' (鬼畜) can be translated as 'brutal', 'inhumane' or 'heartless', suggesting behaviour more befitting an 'ogre' or a 'beast' (the two characters that compose it) than a human.

In an eroge context, it generally refers to games featuring explicit and (frequently violent) non-consensual sexual content (rape being the most common example). The current entry seems pretty adequate in covering this.

Last edited by AstCd2; 2007-03-04 at 02:18.
Old 2007-03-04, 02:39

Thanks, I'll have that in the next update.

I've also added a paragraph about the lack of an overarching term for next time. It's hard to think of one, actually - and it may even be impossible, simply because on one hand it's the gameplay you want to describe (VN, DS etc...) and on the other, the content (girls, romance, horror). And you just can' encompass the structure (game mechanic such as VN, DS etc...) and content in one word.

In the past, I thought about calling all the things I like to play "character- and/or text-based", but that's just not a viable term for everyday use. You can't even call them games, since VNs aren't games, so maybe this is simply impossible.
Old 2007-03-04, 12:26
Unregistered

Whatever you say, the correct word is still Adventure Game

>>When people in the US think of adventure game, they think of stuff from Sierra like King's Quest or stuff from Lucasarts like Monkey Island.

In Japanese that game is also Adventure Game

SF is type of Movie
What you say is Visual Novel is type of Adventure Game
Old 2007-03-04, 12:53
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu