gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-10-22, 13:09
Obsessive

Default Japanese Ellipsis

How do you type the Japanese ellipsis? In Japanese mode, pressing the normal period key gives 。 Three of these "。。。" is not the kind of ellipsis see in visual novels. The circles are all supposed to be filled in. Another possibility is the question mark key: "・・・". Or is it more common to switch to English mode and type the 3 periods "..." Are there any other ways? Which kind of dots are used in visual novels?

Also, is there a standard for the number of dots? Of the Japanese novels I've read, the standard seems to be 6 dots. I'm playing Berwick Saga now and it uses 2 and 4 dots. And I've played games where there are tons of trailing dots.........................................
Old 2006-10-22, 14:01
Iriliane

To get just type three periods in japanese mode of the windows IME and press space.
Old 2006-10-22, 14:04

The ellipsis is supposed to be  「さんてん リーダー」 Using more than 3 is technically poor style.
Old 2006-10-22, 14:17
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The ellipsis is supposed to be  「さんてん リーダー」 Using more than 3 is technically poor style.
I guess every Japanese novel I've read has poor style then. Can you recommend a Japanese novel that consistently uses three dots instead of six? I'd like to see it with my own eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriliane
To get just type three periods in japanese mode of the windows IME and press space.
Aha! That's the secret!
Old 2006-10-22, 16:36
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonmasterX
Quote:
I guess every Japanese novel I've read has poor style then. Can you recommend a Japanese novel that consistently uses three dots instead of six? I'd like to see it with my own eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriliane
Aha! That's the secret!
using only 3 dots is the rule of thumb in any writing in general
Old 2006-10-24, 00:13
Obsessive

And then there's always Nasu's ultimate ellipses mayhem of doomz0rz. For Tsukihime we decided to stay as close to the original as possible, so you'll be seeing lots and lots of periods. So many even, that chendo hacked a font to display | as ... because we got tired of typing them all out.
Old 2006-10-24, 02:56
omgwtflolz

Quote:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%A6
Old 2007-03-27, 13:53
Obsessive

For the record, a few native Japanese told me that in games, whether 2 dots or 3 dots are used is the sole discretion of the script writers.
Old 2007-03-28, 19:06
Lemon Diet

This is a pet peeve of mine. Nothing makes me cringe as much as reading ellipses being machine-gunned in a feeble attempt to "extend" a pregnant pause. I understand it's apparently pretty common in visual novels; I'm unaware if their use of ellipses and omission points are similar to the English language's, but it still drives me nuts.

And Message, I figured Mirror Moon was aiming for fidelity to the original, from what I've heard, Nasu's grammar and writing style is rather "exotic" so to speak. (The non-ero patch was probably the best idea ever.) It really didn't bother me as much as say:

"This chair, this chair, this chair chair this chair thischair olol chair~ !!!"

The redundancy department of redundancy meets "innovative" writing. :O
Old 2007-03-28, 21:33
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Diet View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine. Nothing makes me cringe as much as reading ellipses being machine-gunned in a feeble attempt to "extend" a pregnant pause. I understand it's apparently pretty common in visual novels; I'm unaware if their use of ellipses and omission points are similar to the English language's, but it still drives me nuts.

And Message, I figured Mirror Moon was aiming for fidelity to the original, from what I've heard, Nasu's grammar and writing style is rather "exotic" so to speak. (The non-ero patch was probably the best idea ever.)

Nasu makes this kitty's head hurt (tm).

In VN's, abuse of the ellipse tends to vary writer to writer, but it's not THAT abused most times. About the worst of it is that they'll use a pair of ellipses or more to signify meaningful silence of a character and sometimes hesitation at the start of an otherwise normal sentence. 3 dots in the corner of a large box just looks incomplete.

Poking around my light novel stash,

In Shana and Hantsuki light novels, both published by Dengeki, a 6-dot ellipsis seems to be the house standard, I suspect on visual layout grounds. Two light novels from different Kadokawa brands also use 6-dots, as well as one from Media Factory.

Assuming all these houses aren't just under one big parent company with a unified house style, 6-dots seems pretty popular. Anything more or less not nearly so much except for occasional visual effect gags on the page.

For more serious books, I have no particular experience, but the flow of storytelling and culture might be different enough that more traditional 3-dot ellipsis is the standard, if they're used at all.
Old 2007-03-30, 09:54
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilis View Post
For more serious books, I have no particular experience, but the flow of storytelling and culture might be different enough that more traditional 3-dot ellipsis is the standard, if they're used at all.
海辺のカフカ、世界の中心で愛を叫ぶ、雨と夢の後に、all best-seller novels that take place in Modern Japan, use 6 dots. And since such a major author like 村上春樹 uses 6 dots, I suppose we can assume it's the standard.

Interestingly, I couldn't find a single ellipsis in 義経記(現代語訳). Perhaps there were simply no ellipsis in the original 文語 version.

Last edited by DragonmasterX; 2007-03-30 at 09:57.