gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2007-03-05, 03:42
Obsessive

Don't mind so much since the Japanese call those games by various (and often inconsistent) terms as well.

I'll be troubled if I was asked if Adventure games sure contain adventure element. :P
Old 2007-03-07, 00:09
Obsessive

Visual novel is a lot better than "dating sim." I hate people calling them that(a lot of Occidentals see screenshots of pretty background artwork with text boxes and think "oh look, a dating sim"), because there's tons of these kinds of games that have no dating aspect, or at least don't even need it.
Old 2007-03-09, 03:43
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Originally visual novel is called sound novel, because it is novel + sound
hmm. The only japanese Game I know that call's itself Sound Novel is Real Sound ~Kaze no Regret~ (リアルサウンド~風のリグレット~), and this game shows just a black screen with sound (choises are selected by Control Pad, it's a console game).

So is it true that Visual Novels were originally called sound novels?
Old 2007-03-09, 05:19
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So is it true that Visual Novels were originally called sound novels?
Kind of.

As the first poster explained, the novel-like 'big pages of text, few if any pictures' games in the early 90s were known as 'sound novels', while their more picture-heavy successors became known as 'visual novels' (a term which may or may not encompass AVGs, depending on how general you want to get).

Both terms originated as the name for a particular series of games (from Chunsoft and Leaf respectively), but subsequently came to be used to describe an entire genre.

Nowadays, given the ultra-competitive eroge market, commercial 'sound novels' (in the sense discussed above) are practically non-existent. However, you'll still see them being made by doujin circles, who usually have less resources to work with but aren't under any pressure to turn a profit.

For example, the popular <a href="http://07th-expansion.net/Soft/Prolog.htm">Higurashi no naku koro ni</a> (which utilises very few pictures and only one CG) is billed as a sound novel. Similarly, the minimalist <a href="http://stage-nana.sakura.ne.jp/product.htm">Narcissu</a> has also been compared to a sound novel.

Last edited by AstCd2; 2007-03-09 at 05:26.
Old 2007-03-09, 09:24
Unregistered

ok, thank you for the explanation :) I'm always interested in things like this.

#18-san