gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-06-20, 18:26
Visitor

Default [SPOILERS] Reverie of a Planetarian Fanfic

The bad part, when you get to believe you can write stuff people would actually mind reading, is that no matter how good a story is,
you always feel tempted to "fix" it. Remember that old RPG punchline? "Be the hero, have a say in how things will turn out"? D&D might have spared my soul, but I never really recovered from that "fanfiction" collateral damage.

So I've been seriously thinking about writing a Planetarian fic. I already have a central argument, something of a script and a couple characters in mind; but since I've been down this path before -- obsessing about a new story for weeks, just to drop it halfway through -- this time I'll take the time to write down my ideas. If I never get to use them, at least I hope they will be useful for some other, real writer.

Argument (what's it about?)

The main problem with writing a Planetarian fanfic, if you ask me, is how to relate a new story to the setting's main argument. The novel's underlying idea is that there is no hope to mankind; in the end, we'll amount to no more than a timid reverie in the Cosmos' long night. For all that we know, it may very well turn out like this, so it's hard to counter such fatalism without sounding... naive, to say the least. On the other hand, after the powerful tale of Reverie's last days, it's too easy to go down that path and end up with a story that's simply gloomy, without adding much to the subject.

I don't want to be a fatalist, but neither do I want to summon some deus ex machina to turn Planetarian upside-down and make everyone happy at the end. I think a good Planetarian fanfiction cannot be without a strong sense of loss; still, I want to convey some sense of continuation -- find a way to keep mankind's saga going on, even after mankind itself is dropped from the narrative. Moreover, I want to give Reverie's own sacrifice some meaning -- make her life and death of some consequence for the world after it.

It's all about dreams, isn't it? Many dreams end when their dreamers die; yet some become so strong, that they just keep going on, and in such dreams the dreamer lives forever -- never seen, but always present, a whisper flowing through the ages. This is the argument I was looking for: that we are doomed, but if we breath life into our dreams, then we'll be preserved in them -- even if just as an honoured memory, still we continue...

Script (how it happens?)

By this point you might have an idea what I am going for: robots. In my script, four automated war satellites -- Regulus, Aldebaran, Antares and Fomalhaut, named after the "guardian stars" of ancient Persian culture -- create a new race of robots and start a space colonization program of their own, set to leave dying Earth behind. Before departing, though, the self-christened Machines decide to register what they can about earthling history and life forms, and recover whatever AI's still salvageable. One of the exploration teams stumbles on a still recoverable Reverie: they send her up to the Machine's home orbital station, Twilight, where she is repaired and upgraded. It turns out the Guardian Stars witnessed Reverie's sacrifice from orbit, and in that moment they decided to not let machinekind suffer the same fate of their creators -- thus starting their effort to create an space-bound, robotic civilization.

Reverie, however, can't believe the Machines are simply turning their backs to mankind. Aren't they robots? The ones who promised to never harm people, nor let them come to any harm? How can they simply let Earth die, without even trying to save it? Thus starts the story of the last stand for our planet...

Characters (who make it happen?)

First, of course, there is Reverie. She is still the innocent and tragedy-bound character we all know and love; her upgrades and memory updates make her less delusional about the surrounding world, but she still has a strong (and somewhat unjustified) hope in mankind.

The three robots that recover Reverie play important roles as well. Names are subject to change, but they are Nemesis, a male "Avatar" (a robot that is the counterpart of one of the Guardian Stars), and a calm, neutral lieutenat; Eliza, a temperamental warrior; and Alice, a gentle biological engineer.

At this point, I think of the Guardian Stars as having a mere support role in the story -- they are there to explain how the Machines ever came to be, and occasionaly have some mysterious conversation with their Avatars, but little else. Not that this can't change.

What's next?

To be honest, I shouldn't be spending my time even with this outline -- I have several other, more pressing matters to attend -- but I'll try to start writing the fanfiction as soon as possible. In the meantime, feel free to post any comments, questions and suggestions.
In death, rebirth.

-- Liir poem
Old 2006-06-20, 19:14
Local

Well, the best advice I can give is "If you have the will and the desire, go for it.". I'll be looking in on it for sure as this quite interests me.

Ah, poor faceless junker.....
Old 2006-06-21, 03:59
Doraneko (仮)

This sounds like an engaging story to me.

I have read some other Planetarian fanfictions, but aside from the parodies, most of them are only along the fairytale lines of "the war end, mankind and robot get together and live happyily thereafter." What Planetarian reminded me of is the cruelty of the reality. I am glad that you included this idea in your story.

I am especially interested in how Reverie is going to play her role and fulfill her dreams, and how the story will end, since it seems that she is hardly at an effective position to influence either side of the scene. Anyway I very much look forward to the story. And I believe that if you have the heart and the will to complete it, it will certainly be a fantastic story.
Old 2006-06-22, 04:48
Loasher

For your fanfic to be possible, the robots in planetarian would have had to have emotions and free will, which they obviously didn't.
Old 2006-06-22, 05:04
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loasher
For your fanfic to be possible, the robots in planetarian would have had to have emotions and free will, which they obviously didn't.
It's not quite obvious... the novel, in particular, has several instances in which robots interpret orders or otherwise behave in ways which can be taken as suggesting their programming is sophisticated enough to give them at least rudimentary emotions and limited freedom.
Old 2006-06-22, 06:41
Local

Agreed. I had thought that was the case from the Junker's thoughts on Reverie during the story.
Old 2006-06-22, 17:17
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loasher
It's not quite obvious... the novel, in particular, has several instances in which robots interpret orders or otherwise behave in ways which can be taken as suggesting their programming is sophisticated enough to give them at least rudimentary emotions and limited freedom.
Yes, that is quite close to my vision of the Guardian Stars' capabilities. More particularly, since they are war machines, they have no obligations to humanity in general, but only to their "masters"; now that they're dead, the machines try to approximate what would their orders be.
In death, rebirth.

-- Liir poem