gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Closed Thread

Old 2005-04-05, 22:39
Shish

Default Helping with xclannad (can't think of anywhere else to go..)

I'd really like there to be a linux reallive interpreter ready when the kanon translation is done, so I can be playing things without needing windows (and as mentioned re:planetarian, I have win98 but it sucks generally). I'm seeing two options:

1) Write my own interpreter.
+ It'd be in english
- I have motivation problems; it'd never get finished unless people demanded it
- I'd have no idea what I'm doing; the most complicated reverse engineering I've done is hex-edited various things in .exe files to see what happened, and that was with file format documentation.

2) Help out with xclannad
+ most of the code is there
- It's all in japanese, as are the developers.
- I am not japanese, at all.

Poking round the source, there are some things I think could be improved quite easily*, but I have no idea how to get my contributions to the developers in a way that they'd understand -- I'm coming here for advice as you guys are the only people I know who are in the scene and speak english :)

Currently all I can think of is to mail an example patch to jagarl with some simple english / machine translated japanese explanation, and hope he understands and is willing to accept anonymous code contributions -- any better ideas?

Even better but less likely; are any english speakers already working with jagarl / on the xvn mailing list, so I could send my patches to them and have them translated and added by proxy?

* mostly minor / cosmetic things, eg using getopt to allow command line arguments -- currently the window / fullscreen toggle is hardcoded; a command line switch is only a minute / ~10 lines of code away, with other settings another ~3 lines each...
Old 2005-04-06, 02:02
Ex-boss

Default You came to the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shish
Even better but less likely; are any english speakers already working with jagarl / on the xvn mailing list, so I could send my patches to them and have them translated and added by proxy?
*raises hand*

Well, I wouldn't exactly say I'm "working with Jagarl", but he did accept a three-line patch from me that's the reason it compiles on Linux at all. ^^

As the more fluent Japanese speakers here will doubtless be only too happy to tell you, my written Japanese sucks, but it's a damn sight better than Babelfish, so I'd be happy to translate stuff for you.

I'm vaguely working on Kanon support myself at the moment, though I don't have that much time for it. If you're interested you can find the patches I haven't submitted yet (and various other stuff that may be of interest w.r.t RealLive) here. In particular, applying the "Read Flags" patch will enable xclannad to launch Kanon, although it doesn't get past the Key logo yet.
Old 2005-04-06, 10:18
Shish

> it's a damn sight better than Babelfish, so I'd be happy to translate stuff for you

Thanks ^_^ The only thing I can currently see trouble with is introducing myself to him, like so:

o) I'm some random english guy who'd like kanon to work
o) I'd like to send patches every now and then
o) Even though I don't speak any japanese, I find his C quite understandable, and I would hope he understands mine
o) as said, I don't know much about reverse engineering specifically, but I'm fine with C in general
o) Example patches:
http://shish.is-a-geek.net/projects/.../switches.diff - command line flags rather than hardcoded paths
http://shish.is-a-geek.net/projects/...creenshot.diff - take a screenshot with F12 or printscrn, also adds F11 as a fullscreen toggle (alt-enter is alredy used by some WMs)

once we're introduced it *should* just be a case of me mailing patches and him applying them; not much need for human language...

Come to think of it, I should probably go and buy Clannad or Kanon SE <_<;; All I have currently is the old Kanon and Planetarian...

ED> Added another patch~
Old 2005-04-07, 10:17
Ex-boss

Okay, I'll write you a letter of introduction. I believe Jagarl speaks English to some extent, so you should be okay after that...

Clannad would be the best choice if you're looking for something to run in xclannad - it runs reasonably well, unlike Kanon (doesn't reach main menu) and Planetarian (demo doesn't run at all, at least not for me, and the full game will likely never run for DRM reasons).

One comment on your patches: my RealLive stuff is installed in <tt>/usr/local/share/games</tt>, which makes 32 characters rather tight. Any reason why you aren't using <tt>PATH_MAX</tt> from <tt><sys/param.h></tt>?
Old 2005-04-07, 15:47
Shish

> Any reason why you aren't using PATH_MAX from <sys/param.h>?

Early morning stupidity, mostly. 4096 is overkill for the cdrom device though; 64 ought to be enough, even for people who like to refer to their disks through the /dev/ide/ tree... He seems to have used 1024 for filenames throughout, so I'll go with that for now and switch them all to PATH_MAX later.
Old 2005-04-08, 12:03
Shish

Bump rather than edit because it's 50% new thread, 50% existing thread...

My windows 98 just cacked itself and no longer boots at all; hence now would be a good time to upgrade. The box is quite old (500mhz, 256mb ram, 10gb disk) -- what would be a decent version to upgrade to? I ask here specifically to do with japanese game compatability; it'd help if I could run things in windows too, to see how they're supposed to work~
Old 2005-04-08, 12:21

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

I've generally only used Win2k, WinXP and Win2k3 when running Japanese games. Depending on what you want to run, you may need different system parameters. For example, if you're just running AVG, just about any computer will do :) But, if you want to run, say, Studio Ego's really inefficient 3D programming in their games, then you'd need a relatively recent computer with good graphics card.
Old 2005-04-08, 12:28
Shish

The hardware should be enough for most things I'm wanting to do (avg & reallive), it's just Windows that I want upgraded~ I only point out hardware with worry that XP may be too bloated (or it may not, I don't know; hence I ask)
Old 2005-04-08, 14:08
Ex-boss

There's no real reason not to go to XP that I can think of. 256 Mb should be plenty of memory even for XP, if you're not using it for anything serious.

The only potential problem would be that 10GB drive - my RealLive game folder is about that size by itself! (But that's with the games fully installed, of course. Running them from DVD would cut that down a lot.)
Old 2005-04-08, 14:29

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

For XP, I'd still recommend at least 512MB. You really can't run much on XP with 256MB, and you'll spend a lot of time just swapping to and from disk. That said, I'd recommend 512MB ram, ~80gig HD, a gfx5200(it's a cheap nvidia card, and I'm partial to nVidia, so <_<) and like pretty much any recent processor (go for AMD, they're cheap and give you more bang for the buck).
Old 2005-04-08, 17:33
Addicted

80GB is good, but if you're resourceful (read: broke) you can actually make do in XP with a 20GB drive. The 512 of RAM is definately a good idea though, as it gives XP that little extra kick. Also, I concur with Zalas - the GeForce FX5200 is a wonderful card for the <$100 you'll spend on it.

I'm doing the above (well, I have a second 20GB drive now) and still chugging along on a Pentium III 866Mhz processor, and I'm running AVG32 and RealLive-based games beautifully. They aren't really demanding game engines, that's for sure.
Old 2005-04-08, 18:11
Irregular

Would suggest Win2K; works well enough on 256MB RAM, and it's got the same set of I18N features that WinXP has.

Typing this right now on a Pentium II 533MHz laptop with 256MB RAM -- although the bootup time is very long, once you're in it's quite responsive.
Old 2005-04-08, 21:53

I'm running a stripped down windows xp under vmware with only 128 meg allocated and the performance is fine.You could run most run games with even only 64mb if you wanted but some games don't work...planaterian for instance is terribly bloated and tends to have serious trouble with out more ram,but that is the only bgame I have had trouble with.I'm running this under linux BTW,so I n