gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-07-14, 15:18
Local

Send a message via ICQ to Billhead Send a message via Yahoo to Billhead

The game is still sitting in it's Himeya Shop packaging as it has for three years, I think I can last a little while longer out of respect for the translators.

I learned my lesson using leaked patches with Clannad(I gave up on Tomoyo's route, I don't even know whats going on anymore), and Fate/Stay Night(voices in the official mirror moon patch).

On that note, are there any plans regarding voices for Kanon?
I remember Haeleth mentioned the possibility of it, I was wondering if NDT had anything in mind?
Old 2008-07-14, 19:34
Visitor

Quote:
On that note, are there any plans regarding voices for Kanon?
I remember Haeleth mentioned the possibility of it, I was wondering if NDT had anything in mind?
At this time, I would like to confirm that we are releasing a voice patch. It has already been completed and will be released along with the final translation patch. Hopefully, this will help make up for all the delays that this project has suffered. We thank you for standing by us for all this time.

Radical R
Old 2008-07-18, 06:36
Unregistered

Maybe it's just me, and I'm more of an open-source guy than part of the VN community, but.... What's so wrong with leaking a patch? I mean, shouldn't the patch be updated regularly and available to the public at any given stage in development/translation? Wouldn't that prevent this sort of drama in the first place? And don't a lot of translation groups already do this?
Old 2008-07-18, 08:07
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Open source might work for software, to varying degrees, but the playing field of a translation is somewhat different. Like watching a film, or reading a book, the greatest dramatic impact is only possible on the first time through. Everything past that is tainted by spoilers. For software, updates are a Good Thing. New features, new fixes. For a story, you don't get any new plot twists, no new dialogue, just better quality overall.

That's why you have many people who will swear they'll only play a patch when it's complete. There is something of a duty to getting it as close to right as possible the first time; both for the sake of the audience, and respect for the work.

Under that assumption, one of the worst case scenarios then is when an incomplete and heavily flawed script makes it way out -- it damages the credibility of the people working on it and spoils the story (incorrectly) to the readers.

How much can a script change? From draft 1 to draft 5, I've changed 60% of a script for one project. If draft 3 leaked out, then probably 10-20% of the material errors corrected would've gone out. The problem is that there's not enough major difference between drafts 3 and 5 to make rereading it interesting to most readers. A few rewordings, a bunch of fixed mistranslations, even if it's a few hundred lines out of a few thousand, just isn't particularly noticeable or enjoyable to the average audience member. So they don't bother reading it, despite draft 3 being leaked prematurely and being unofficial, draft 5 bores them. From an artist's perspective, the damage has been done.

Sure, some groups open up their translations onto wiki. But I've yet to spot a high quality translator work on them. If someone knows of a good translator on one of the translation wikis, I'd like to know and see it for myself. Translation wikis seem to be for scraping the bottom of the talent barrel of translators. Most times I randomly peek at one, all it does is destroy the credibility of the translators on the project.

For whatever reason, most if not all the high tier translators in this community work on closed projects. For myself, I'd sooner die than put my scripts on a wiki where every grubby peasant can touch them. I'd be less hostile to giving people read-only access to my project svn, I just know that if I did that, idiots would use it as an unofficial status barometer, and when I finish draft 1, they'd start clamoring for a release when it's clearly not ready from my perspective. Worse, some idiot could just fork the project and we're back to leaked patches again.
Old 2008-07-18, 10:40
dsp2003

Just another boresome example from my life, if you don't mind: i'm running the E17->RU translation for about 1.7 years, so... eh... the first 5 months were in-door translation, with no site\homepage and absolutely no info about the project at all. That was the beginning. When the first playable demo (Takeshi's May 1st & 2nd) were released (May 2007th), the people said "kewl demo, when it will be finished?" I said "probably in the next 1-2 years". They said "okay, we'll be lookin' forward for your sub, good job!"

And so it started. Of course, there was no graphics and some other stuff, because the KID Engine was hard to hack (many thanks goes to Ed for his great articles).

For those 1.7 years, i've released more than 10 different versions of the work-in-progress translation. Some of them were buggy, some were completely different from the others, but none of our fans said "your demos, alphas and betas are suck" - actually they helped us a lot finding the bugs, typos etc.

Well, the thing is... several days ago we've asked some of our fans, did they played our demos or not. The most of them said "Nope, we're waiting for the final release, because we want to play the compete game!"

So, what's the point? Oh well, i guess you should trust your fans. They're humans like you, not the lower caste of morons.

Believe me, if your work could be an "modular" step-by-step w.i.p. translation, like Higurashi by Sonozaki Futago-tachi, no one would "branch" it, because it updates constantly and there's simply no sense in the "stealing". :)
Old 2008-07-18, 11:22
Obsessive

Just a thought, Higurashi's translation by Sonozaki Futago-tachi is a linear game, the events happen in a set unchangeable order. As such partial releases make a lot more sense than a partial for a branching game because if you say have part of each route done the reader is having an unnatural experience switching between routes all the time waiting for the rest of the patch.
Old 2008-07-18, 15:00
Posts way too much

Well, my own justification for wanting to release the G-Senjou no Maou translation in parts is that I figure:
1) I don't know people well enough to be able to pick beta testers. Obviously I'm not going to pick someone to beta test if I don't _know_ that they are the sorts of people who will pull through and provide me with quality feedback. In other communities (I work on indie games and the like) I know who to get to beta test my stuff. I don't have that here.
2) People can decide for themselves whether they want to playtest for me or not. I'll just use feedback that people who do play the early versions will provide for me.
3) By and large, most of the people will probably play the thing after the full translation is released (because it'll actually have a website and be Google-able etc.)
Old 2008-09-01, 10:26
Unregistered

What happened to the updates? It's stopped once again at 62%.
Old 2008-09-01, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What happened to the updates? It's stopped once again at 62%.
not going to be mean but the translators do have lives outside of the project, this has been said far too many times and I feel bad that I have to say it again. anyways just be patient. btw new semester of school has started so that will delay most projects even further.
Old 2008-09-05, 05:37
Obsessive

The translator was in Japan, on the last update.

I think we'll get back on track in a bit.
Kunisaki Yukito is a flooging pervert. He makes a mother finger her daughter to get off his sick kicks, have two sisters paizuri his cock while slobbering all over it, and he raped another in the rain. From Behind. I bet he assreamed the ghostly loli too.
Old 2008-09-05, 13:35
Unregistered

IIRC, some parts were so poorly translated that it was decided some scenes had to be started over rather than having them simply edited, which slowed things a bit more.