gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-07-02, 19:09
Regular

The hardest part when start up business is the beginning. Around 70% fail due to many circumstances such as management, funds, overhead, etc, etc.

Unlike other import shops, this one is actually doing something to try to get the more popular VN here.

I think a large part of being a consumer is to let our voices be heard and tell mangagamer.com our concerns with their translations before it's too late....

Also inform them of current VN sites such as this. This can help them in their research of trends and opinions into the U.S. VN market.

Last edited by nhat; 2008-07-02 at 19:12.
Old 2008-07-02, 21:47
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Kealdrea

Wow, Da Capo was licensed? O.o I never thought I'd live to see the day. The anime is one of my favorite visual novel adaptations, since the characters were so unique and quirky. I can't wait to play the game.

It kind of worries me, though, that they're planning to release so many visual novels so quickly. It might have been a better idea to license a couple games and see how well they're received before going all out and licensing as many as they can. Such recklessness may imply that they're not using a lot of money to improve the quality of games, however. ._.; I hope the English in the actual game isn't as bad as the English on the website.
Old 2008-07-03, 00:25
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhat View Post
I think a large part of being a consumer is to let our voices be heard and tell mangagamer.com our concerns with their translations before it's too late....

Also inform them of current VN sites such as this. This can help them in their research of trends and opinions into the U.S. VN market.
That's what AX2008 is for!

Not that I'll be going, but still =p
Old 2008-07-03, 01:25
Obsessive

I am interested in getting suika (if they release it). However downloading is a big problem for me since I don't have internet connection ><.

I hope it's not over 1Gigabytes...
Old 2008-07-03, 02:04

I wonder if they will change something in those games that they removed for later release. I already bought HinataBokko (yay! they accepted my pay card! Paypal hates me, but here such pleasant surprise ;) )and if they posted corrected version without possibility of redownloading it for people who bought it before (you have 24h for downloading after purchase) ... :/.
Also they should do something about those titles translation, if I hadn't know this game from before I never would have bought something that is named "Which girl should I choose?".
About activation issue in case company disappears - i think cracking activation in game you legitly paid for is not a sin (but of course should not be necessary).
About prices - 20 euro for full new PC game in Poland is cosidered cheap (that's how much HinataBokko costs), but 50.. Only games for consoles costs that much or some uber collectors edition with tons of gadgets.
Old 2008-07-03, 02:54
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyovermind View Post
I am interested in getting suika (if they release it). However downloading is a big problem for me since I don't have internet connection ><.

I hope it's not over 1Gigabytes...
Unless they drastically change their policies, these games aren't for people like you with functional Japanese. You can get Suika pretty cheaply nowadays (much cheaper than what they're offering), and that's in a box that you can put on your shelf (perfect for when friends and family come round and wonder what you do with your disposable income), with no silly activation requirements, and no terrible engrishy translation.
Old 2008-07-04, 11:22

From the MangaGamer website:

----------------------

4) The activation expires if
* OS is re-installed
* any file which is related to the game is deleted
* any file which is related to the game is moved
* the hardware configuration is changed

--------------------

You've got to be kidding me -__-;

In any case, it looks like they're up and running now with stuff coming out the 10th...
Old 2008-07-04, 12:41

Well, it is pretty clear that I will wait with ordering Da Capo for some... modified... exe to appear. No problems with buying and activating the game via net once, but those requirements are way too harch in my opinion.
Old 2008-07-05, 18:48
kouryuu

Hmm... I'm glad to hear they're actually going through with this to bring the games out in english, but I for one am not buying them until I can own a disc in a box.
Old 2008-07-06, 00:18
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
Unless they drastically change their policies, these games aren't for people like you with functional Japanese. You can get Suika pretty cheaply nowadays (much cheaper than what they're offering), and that's in a box that you can put on your shelf (perfect for when friends and family come round and wonder what you do with your disposable income), with no silly activation requirements, and no terrible engrishy translation.
My japanese was not very functional at all (otherwise I would be translating a game right now), I'm still doing a lot of guessings and dictionary checks. It's just my general eroge knowledge is waaaaay above my japaneses skills because of Kj and a number of other people I met.
Old 2008-07-06, 14:56
Unregistered

The French con is over: I'm dead tired so the full report about MangaGamers will be posted tomorrow.
However, I got to interview Nobuhisa Endo, the director of Japan Animation, the Japanese company behind MangaGamers and the important news are:
  • They are completely legit,
  • For people who downloaded a version before the page went official... Obviously the version some people dowloaded were full of mistakes because IT WAS THE VERSION FOR THE BETA-TESTERS, YOU DIMWITS!!!!! :lol: The purpose of the version and the link not made public was for the selected few (proofreaders/beta-testers) to try the buying system and game!
Old 2008-07-06, 18:15
z_Z work sucks

Send a message via AIM to dovac

Well I'm glad that it was the beta version, I will hold Circus and co up to their promise of 100% quality.... (was in a video at AX)

woo~ blog
Old 2008-07-06, 18:59
Unregistered

Default Grapevine

Good luck. From what I've heard, some of the errors are total mistranslations. So your ordinary run-of-the-mil beta tester that only knows English, and maybe a tiny bit of Japanese won't be spotting them.

And by the shear amount of errors, I hope this beta testing stage was long ago... (although the Circus games have some time for refinement yet.)
Old 2008-07-06, 19:38
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovac View Post
Well I'm glad that it was the beta version, I will hold Circus and co up to their promise of 100% quality.... (was in a video at AX)
You sure it didn't say '100% QUALITY'? Gotta watch the capitalisation!
Old 2008-07-06, 23:00

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

I was unable to reach any representative from MangaGamer, but I did talk to Circus's CEO about the operation: http://novelnews.net/2008/07/07/anim...t-with-circus/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The French con is over: I'm dead tired so the full report about MangaGamers will be posted tomorrow.
Thanks, the more information the fans know about this, the better.

Quote:
However, I got to interview Nobuhisa Endo, the director of Japan Animation, the Japanese company behind MangaGamers and the important news are:
  • They are completely legit,
  • For people who downloaded a version before the page went official... Obviously the version some people dowloaded were full of mistakes because IT WAS THE VERSION FOR THE BETA-TESTERS, YOU DIMWITS!!!!! :lol: The purpose of the version and the link not made public was for the selected few (proofreaders/beta-testers) to try the buying system and game!
I sincerely hope that is the case. However, I can't say my hopes are raised that high. Why would anyone decide to polish a low quality translation instead of obtaining a higher quality translation from the beginning? "Editing" a poorly written script is asking for trouble down the line. One possibility may be that they are constrained too much by time and money that this is the only thing they can do.

The sampler disc Circus distributed at their booth at Anime Expo contained a trial version of Edelweiss (which was not available from the MangaGamer site) which contained pretty much the same script as the download version, as far as I can tell at this time.