gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-06-10, 23:22
Squirrel-Honest

Default Squirrel - Honest Truth! (This post is not about squirrels.)

[spambot post deleted]
Old 2006-06-11, 00:34

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Can we rename posting.php? <_<; /diespammer.php would work >_>
Old 2006-06-11, 01:49
Regular

Adding normal urls to the bad word list for guests might also change something..
Old 2006-06-11, 02:01
Ex-boss

The spam filter already rejects any guest post with more than one URL in it... it's hard to be any more draconian without turning away legitimate visitors. It's catching about 90% of the spam now, which gives you some idea of how bad the situation is getting. :(

Renaming posting.php is an interesting alternative. I'll look into it. Some kind of CAPTCHA might also be necessary, but the thing there is that the standard PHPBB one is already utterly broken and trivially solved by any bot, and researching decent ones requires yet more of that mythical thing "free time"...
Old 2006-06-11, 07:15
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
Some kind of CAPTCHA might also be necessary, but the thing there is that the standard PHPBB one is already utterly broken and trivially solved by any bot, and researching decent ones requires yet more of that mythical thing "free time"...
KittenAuth!
Old 2006-06-11, 09:31
Regular

Well I do not think it would be a major problem to block links in for guests general if guests, that tried to post an url, get told, that due to spamming they have to do something so that we know they are human.
Example:
Tell them that they can either
a)register
or b) write the url into .

b) would give them a possibility to post the url without registering and if they like this board then they will not get upset just because they have do a change that costs 10 seconds.
Since bots usually cannot read it should still prevent bots from being able to post urls.
Old 2006-06-11, 09:43
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoEd
That is amazing! I cast my vote for this security system. Going through some sort of validation process to post isn't NEARLY as obtrusive when you're clicking on bunnies and squirrels and kittens.
Old 2006-06-11, 10:37
Regular

Did you think of the fact that there might be actually people coming here who do not know what the word 'squirrel' means? And maybe also some people who think that this is so perfectly idiotic...
Old 2006-06-11, 10:53
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

In the other thread I posted a much simpler solution:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=361339

To get around this the spammer would have to make each post manually.
Old 2006-06-11, 13:07
Regular

so this wasn't a post about squirrels... i find myself highly disappointed...(T_T)

Yes I came out of my little lurker cave just for that.
Old 2006-06-11, 13:11
Ex-boss

The kitten CAPTCHA Ed posted a link to includes pictures of squirrels.

Though I suspect I'll try something like Shii suggested next. It would have the added advantage that registered users would stop forgetting they weren't logged in. ^__^
Old 2006-06-11, 13:46
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor
Did you think of the fact that there might be actually people coming here who do not know what the word 'squirrel' means? And maybe also some people who think that this is so perfectly idiotic...
If you're referring to my post, I see that the concept of humor is obviously lost upon some members here. I apologize for, you know, making a joke.

I can't really help you with the squirrel thing; quite a few people post in Japanese on this board, but not everyone is capable of reading that, either. I've yet to see any major grousing about that issue, though.