gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-24, 10:10
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Default Need reccomendation

Hello. I'm looking for interactive visual novels, 'preferrably' school romance. And they should be in English, or been translated into it, as I don't know any Kanji at all :P

Prefer harem style, but most things are good.
Old 2006-04-24, 22:34
Regular

Default A Newbie's Recommendations

I'm fairly new to the Visual Novel genre myself -- while I first played Phantom of Inferno years ago, I only "got into" the genre last summer. Seeing as nobody has given you a reply yet, I'll offer my input.

Of the VNs that I have played to date, very few of them meet your criteria. The closest match would be Crescendo, an excellent VN set five days before a high school senior's graduation. So far, it is the best VN I have ever played. Kana also deserves a mention. There are a couple of flavors of school romance in it, but the real draw of this title lies elsewhere. VN fans seem to regard it as a must-play title, and I wholeheartedly agree with them.

I have played a few other school-themed VNs, but none of them struck me as particularly good. I have recently bought Hourglass of Summer, which seems to match your criteria to a T (minus the harem part), but I have yet to play through it and give it my personal approval. What I have seen of it is quite promising, though.

Here are a few other titles that you may consider having a look at:
-Phantom of Inferno (contains a pretty decent school romance in Act 3)
-Eve Burst Error (a well-written detective story)
-Chain (another good detective story -- a little gratuitous at times, but I liked it overall)
-A Winter's Tale (short dojin work available at insani.org, among others)
-Ever 17 (Reputedly very good, though I have yet to finish it. No school romances, though.)

I'd give a few more recommendations, but I don't want to put my foot in my mouth by recommending a title that I have never played.

Keep an eye out for the Wind and Shuffle translations, which should be complete sometime in the near future. Also, the webmistress at Animetric has reviews of practically every VN currently available in English, so you'll be able to get a good idea of what you might like there (http://www.animetric.com/bgames.html). So far, I have agreed with her on every title that I have played, so I know her recommendations are good ones.
Old 2006-04-25, 14:37
Regular

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf

I bought and played Ever 17 and it was a great game. It not school romance, the main character being either 14-15 or 20 and its setting is in a water world like theme park.
I would recommend (all translated to english):

Kana ~little sister~ its not exactly school romance but there are elements of it. Its a great story and pretty realistic but if you don't know what your doing it will be quite depressing.

Phantom of Inferno is not a school romance at all, act 3 does have Reiji going to school but he is not your average day high school student being an assissan and all and there are no secenes associated with school romance genre such as girl trouble, misunderstandings, well there is one misunderstanding but with the girl waving around a real steyr AUG full auto assualt rifle it sized to be funny real fast .

Cresendo is school romance and its a pretty good H-game as well, more story and less sex.

As for Harem: try Come see me tonight 1 and 2, do you like horny bunnies, I'm gonna serve you 4, or just go to Jastusa.com and see for yourself.

Heart De roomate is a also a school romance, pretty good.

Figure of Happiness also has elements of school romance, again more story and less sex, pretty good story too.

Eve series despite its sexual overtone is not known to be a H game at all, Eve burst error english version has no H content, Adam does but the rest of the series, Eve fatal attraction, Eve zero Eve the lost one and Eve new generations are just rated M for language suggestive secenes.

Casual romance club is also another school setting game, it even has english voices, altough horrible english voices.

Lacan/grahf
Xenogears
Old 2006-04-26, 13:25
Regular

I have played Kana and Casual romance club before. I liked Kana alot... Got all the endings. Did not like Casual romance club as much though...

Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I'll check them all out ^_^
Old 2006-05-08, 11:20
Regular

Default Follow-up.

Toxic, since you enjoyed Kana, I highly recommend you check out Crescendo. There's a movie that two of the characters go to watch that will definitely grab your attention. Probably one of the best Easter Eggs I've ever seen, and it's well-integrated into the story.

Anyway, I just finished a four-day marathon of Ever 17 -Out of Infinity-, and the best word I can think of to sum up the experience is "WOW...!". While I finished all 11 endings, I still missed a few things (I have 215 of 225 paths completed). I'll handle the last ten paths tomorrow. It's nice to have a checklist and a bunch of incentives to actually go through these; aside from a better understanding of the story, you also get unlockable wallpapers, the soundtrack, screensavers, and Windows sound schemes. The story itself (to paraphrase a review of Eve Burst Error) is like an intricate jigsaw puzzle that, when completed, reveals a completely different image on its reverse side.

Ever 17 is very difficult to review without spoiling the story's coup-de-grace. RPG Fan gave the story a 94% (http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/ever17/index.html), but the reviewer admitted to only completing two endings. I cannot stress this enough: you must complete the final chapter of the game (Ending #11 -- only available when all four scenarios have been completed at least once) to appreciate the depth of the story (and if you don't, the game will subtly prod you to).

A fair word of warning: the game is LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. A single playthrough from the beginning will take about 10 hours, regardless of which ending you take. During subsequent playthroughs, even if you use fast-forward, you'll take at least another hour to go through the game again.

Anyway, I'm beginning to rant, so I'll clam up and cool down a bit for now. If you want more details about the game, ask away. I do not regret spending $40 on this title. I'll wrap up by saying that the hype for Ever 17 is definitely well-deserved.
Old 2006-05-08, 11:29
Obsessive

Default Re: Follow-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOMMX
Anyway, I just finished a four-day marathon of Ever 17 -Out of Infinity-, and the best word I can think of to sum up the experience is "WOW...!".
That's just how I felt when I finished the game, the way they pulled it all together is probably the game's strongest point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOMMX
Ever 17 is very difficult to review without spoiling the story's coup-de-grace.
And that, I'd have to say, might be one of it's biggest weaknesses. It's very hard to make a case for the game without ruining it for someone. Everything that one tries to describe about the ending comes across as "and it was really good!"
Old 2006-05-10, 05:37
Regular

A little problem.. I can't [afford] ANY of the games. [snip]

I'd have to import them if I was going to buy them. There's also the fact that I have no credit card, and not that much money, either.

[snip]
Old 2006-05-10, 05:43
Ex-boss

Please don't even ask for warez links. There are other forums which are dedicated to pirating anime games, where it would be appropriate to ask, and you can find those for yourself with Google.

A better solution would be to get a job, which will solve the money problem, and then use a prepaid debit card to solve the credit-card problem.
Old 2006-05-10, 06:38
Regular

Debit cards don't work, and I can't get a job because of my age.

Did you really have to edit my message like that? <_<
Old 2006-05-10, 07:05
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
Debit cards don't work, and I can't get a job because of my age.
I don't know where you heard debit cards don't work (because they do, I ordered Clannad from Himeyashop with one only a few weeks ago) and I'm fairly sure you could mow lawns and babysit, it sounds more like you just don't want to.
Old 2006-05-10, 07:36
Regular