gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-03-21, 23:31
Obsessive

Default Do you read reviews for visual novels?

It seems to me like Famitsu usually gives visual novels bad ratings. Is it unfair to rate visual novels? Famitsu is not a fair standard for visual novels is it? Then what is? What site do you check for visual novel reviews? Or do you check specific fansites for opinions?
Old 2006-03-21, 23:38
omgwtflolz

I read Comp, Daiou, and G's.

Don't really pay much attention to reviews, though.
Old 2006-03-22, 00:22
Addicted

Default Re: Do you read reviews for visual novels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonmasterX
It seems to me like Famitsu usually gives visual novels bad ratings. Is it unfair to rate visual novels? Famitsu is not a fair standard for visual novels is it? Then what is? What site do you check for visual novel reviews? Or do you check specific fansites for opinions?
I don't think there's anything inherently unfair in rating visual novels, although I doubt magazine-based reviewers like Famitsu have the time to play through more than a small extract from them.

Personally, I don't put much faith in reviews, as the fact that someone else enjoyed a game won't affect my chances of enjoying it in the least. When I need information on games I'm thinking of buying, I visit product sites.
Old 2006-03-22, 04:58
Ex-boss

I mostly read reviews in Japanese blogs. Reviews seem to work a lot better when the reviewers are up-front about their tastes and not even pretending to be doing an objective thing. By looking at their reviews of games I've played, I can often get a fairly good idea for how closely my tastes match the reviewers', and thus how likely I am to agree with their opinions.

Trial versions are also very useful, but I tend not to bother with demo movies or with product sites (except for basic technical info), because they don't provide any negative information. No product site is ever going to advertise something as a 冗長退屈ADV, and the flashiest movies can be advertising the dullest games. It takes access to the game text itself to find out whether it's going to be worth reading, I find.
Old 2006-03-22, 13:18

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
It takes access to the game text itself to find out whether it's going to be worth reading, I find.
Which could explain why I immediately went to figure out how to dump the game texts before playing the latest demos I got -_-;
Old 2006-03-23, 22:31
Obsessive

No one checks fan review site mk2?!

http://kyoichi.mods.jp/ps2/soft/lslg/
Old 2006-03-23, 23:31
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonmasterX
No one checks fan review site mk2?!

http://kyoichi.mods.jp/ps2/soft/lslg/
Wow, North Wind really took a panning...
Old 2006-06-08, 20:09
Obsessive

OMG! I haven't checked the PC section, but for PS2 ADV/renai, Ever17 is the only one ranked S!!! Now I'm gonna have to play through every path after seeing that.
Old 2006-06-08, 20:31
Obsessive

You didn't believe us english speakers ranting and raving about how good the game is? =p

Then again, I guess a few people saying "it's so good! but I can't tell you why it's good because of spoilers..." isn't the most convincing thing in the world.
Old 2006-06-09, 00:34

"it's so good! but I can't tell you why it's good because of spoilers..."

LOL! Yeah but there really is no way around it for The Infinity Games. Once again I'd liek to refer to my review of Ever 17 if you've not yet read it: http://anime.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=2782

And yes I do say something similar to what was quoted... >=)
Old 2006-06-09, 00:48

Gah I wasn't signed in so I can't edit post but...do you guys see how differently the Memories Off Games score? I saw A, C, D...I never played this game but I figured they were all A~B games since they are quite popular. The latest one Sorekara Again only got a C, and I believe that was quite a big title for KID. Along with #5.
Old 2006-06-09, 10:07

There're many factors to consider when assessing user ratings. For one, PSMK2 is way too "gamer oriented" to provide a good sampling for ADV/VN scores. With Memories Off scores, the samplings seem to range from ~3 to 30.

Another thing to consider is that the opinions of dedicated ADV or Memories Off fans may not reflect those of the typical consumer. A series diehard might be content with countless sequels and spinoffs, regardless of quality or level of originality (niche developers thrive on that kind of userbase). They'll happily buy many things up (due to the appearances of favorite characters, further development of a loved story, the same style of presentation or writing, etc.), even if the work isn't on par with the original. However, the casual fan might not be so forgiving.
Old 2006-06-09, 11:46
Addicted

So, what are some good review sites in Japanese? I'm particualrly interested in seeing what the general consensus is on Scarlett, but I'm not particularly competent with Googling in Japanese.
Old 2006-06-09, 11:53

ErogameScape seems to be popular with genre fans.

http://erogamescape.dyndns.org/~ap2/ero/toukei_kaiseki/
Old 2006-08-03, 07:05
Obsessive

The big-name professional reviews can't be trusted

As is mentioned within, all 4 Famitsu and all 3 The Playstation reviewers say about Ever17 "OH YES!!!!!!!! I LOOOOOOOVVVEEEEEEE THIS GAAAAMEE! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" But their rating does not reflect that, as if it's forbidden to give too high of a score.