gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-03-20, 09:43
Visitor

Send a message via AIM to BobDaDuck Send a message via MSN to BobDaDuck
Default Help...

I know it's not about a bishoujo game, or kanon, translations of any kind...I am still really really new to the forum so I don't expect much but please go here http://www.omegos.net
Old 2006-03-20, 14:46
Ex-boss

Well, this is... unexpected, to say the least.

As a layman and a non-American, I'm clearly not in a position to judge the accuracy of the story or of the quoted cost, but I can't find any obvious reasons to suspect this of being a scam, so I'll leave it here for the time being.
Old 2006-03-20, 15:01
Obsessive

The worst damage that is done by internet scammers isn't the money they've stolen from unsuspecting people, it's the current situation they've created in which honest people in need have, in many cases, lost the benefit of the doubt when it comes to online donations.
Old 2006-03-20, 15:16
rodan

It would be more convincing if the "certain surgery" was named, I guess.
Old 2006-03-20, 15:56
Local

Send a message via ICQ to Billhead Send a message via Yahoo to Billhead

I'm not going to guess if this is a scam or not, but this sort of stood out to me, altough it could be perfectly honest
Quote:
If you need a webhost please e-mail me at admins@gammos.net if you need a web designer, e-mail my roommate at admins@gammos.net.
Old 2006-03-20, 16:38
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billhead
I'm not going to guess if this is a scam or not, but this sort of stood out to me, altough it could be perfectly honest
The story is consistent. BobDaDuck and Rio Nishida are roommates at Spencerian College in Lexington, Kentucky. The former is majoring in computer engineering, the latter in graphic design, and they're apparently trying to set up a web business based on these skills. That would explain why they're sharing a "work" email address, among other things. Then there's a medical crisis involving BobDaDuck's girlfriend, which would explain why they're soliciting work and donations in this way.

It just seems like it would be disproportionate effort to set up multiple identities and numerous fake websites (right down to a shoutcast of anime soundtracks), just to try to scam forums like this. It's nothing like the usual driveby spambots who post a few links to phishing sites and move on. So Occam's razor is in favour of this being honest.

I guess anyone who is tempted to donate could always try contacting the college to confirm the students' identities (their real names are on their websites).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan
It would be more convincing if the "certain surgery" was named, I guess.
Although, of course, a sufficiently smart scammer would have done enough research to be able to name a plausible operation if pressed. And conversely there are plenty of reasons why an honest man might not know any more details than BobDaDuck gives, in the circumstances.

Yup, l|ammamama's right... it's too, too easy to be suspicious. :(

So I guess I'll leave it to individuals to make up their own minds. After all, anyone who's in a position to donate should be mature enough to judge for themselves whether it's the right thing for them to do.
Old 2006-03-20, 17:03
Visitor

Send a message via AIM to BobDaDuck Send a message via MSN to BobDaDuck
Default Sorry about any confusion

Sorry about any confusion here, no I wish this were a scam, at least then there wouldn't be a crisis at hand. The reason I can't really name the surgery is cause there's not really a name for it...basically they have to go in and fix all the tears in her body, cut some things away tie others off, and just try to fix everything that's in her....I hate asking for help, and I really hate having to do it on a website, I'd show pictures but she doesn't want to be put on display, and she's afraid somebody might try to hunt her down and kill her *rolls eyes a bit* but I have to respect her wishes, if you want I can give you the colleges # or it's here http://www.spencerian.edu. I also put my phone # on there for anybody that has questions, but please be nice, it is a cell phone and I do have minutes. And yeah gammos.net is going to be the web page for our webhost business, there's also clouddesignworks.com (that's the web designer side) but my roommate went home for the holiday so I couldn't ask what e-mail to use so I was going to have it sent to mine....=/ sorry about any confusion. My g/f's going in for blood work sometime in the next couple of weeks (when an appointment opens up) to see what kind of timeline we have before the toxins overtake her blood....*crosses fingers* lets just hope we can get enough money for the surgery before then...and thank you very much haeleth for letting it stay on here, it means alot to me...cause she means everything to me.