gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-08-27, 19:15
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasurot View Post
Do you know if AGTH works with Little Busters? My first foray into kanji was using Atlas and trying to translate Shuffle! ... which was well beyond my capabilities at the time. But playing LB in a window with a converter seems like it would be a good way to learn now.

I know some forums have rules against mentioning products that would extract text... let me know if this is the case and I'll remove this post. Thanks and/or sorry!
Sure does! (That's what I use to find my way around the script) but you need this Reallive patching program to make it work right This is by the maker of Oh! Text Hooker (It comes with certain builds of OTH.)
but I recommend AGTH ;3

Since we have a whole forum section about hacking (legally acquired) copies of games I don't think using a text hooker will be a problem with anyone here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rlivepch.zip (14.7 KB, 177 views)
Old 2008-08-27, 19:24
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

There's no particular rule against mentioning the use of text extraction and various other tools. We sometimes discuss reverse engineering data file formats, and AGTH is practically nothing compared to that. There IS a rule against telling people how to do illegal acts, which doesn't cover this.

Depending on the person, 'ideal' kanji learning varies. Many people say they have luck with various kanji books, that's more or less drilling, and for more obscure things, it's probably the only way since you won't encounter them often enough to remember.

Meanwhile, I just leran most of my kanji from reading books, playing games and project work. I learn just enough to recognize them, I learn their readings just from repeated exposure to various forms of the kanji... It doesn't help much if I'm trying to order sake, and I really don't come across the vocabulary for lots of food items enough in my reading material to really learn them for menu reading, but oh well. Finally, transcribing text like lyrics and sch makes decent drilling practice with some practical use at the end.
Old 2008-08-27, 19:39
Local

mmm, just seeing the activity of the thread has started in me to study japanese, so guys, what do you think that start first? from seeing the thread its seem to the basics, learn hiragana, katakana, and then kanji, but i would like to focus more in reading the language and later to speak it(i think that learning to read it first, will be more easy to hear it)

PS: mmm, and i would like to take classes to learn and that stuff, but here where i live there no such a possible thing >_>
Old 2008-08-28, 04:45

I'd have to agree with others on the forum that Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese is probably the best starting point. Lots of good material there on Japanese grammar.

I'm still partial to Japanese Pod 101 as a learning center too. The audio portions are free and they're excellent for building your vocabulary and listening to spoken Japanese.

For studying Kanji, I've been using Kanji Gold. It's basically a flash card program for Kanji... and it's also free. I haven't looked much into various methods for studying Kanji so I'm not sure how this software ranks up there. If you're good at learning from repetition, it should be very beneficial.
Old 2008-08-28, 13:07
Local

wow the tae kim guide is awesone, is even in spanish, so that makes the things more easy, but one question, how much kanjis should i study at a day? i thinked about 10 ´´er day but that could be too much, soo any suggestion?
Old 2008-08-28, 13:32

The amount seems like it'd be more a personal question... depends on how good you are at memorization and how much time you're dedicating to studying.

Kanji Gold has a nice feature called "Just In Time" that shows Kanji in diminishing time frames depending on how often you've got the Kanji correct in a row. The time frames start off rather low... I think the first 5 are measured in less than a hour. So at the beginning, you'll get the Kanji regardless of if you got it right or not. But it eventually knocks off ones you memorized with them only shown once every X amount of days depending on how many times you've got it right.
Old 2008-08-28, 13:52

Send a message via AIM to Bluefire101 Send a message via MSN to Bluefire101 Send a message via Yahoo to Bluefire101 Send a message via Skype™ to Bluefire101

Basically what i did to learn hiri and kata in a week was just through memorization of what each symbol represents (oh and having a photographic memory like me really helps :P) What I did for kana tables was glace at it for about a minute, turn them over and then get a spare sheet and write down the symbol and beside it write what you think the syllable is.

For kanji, all i did was go to kanjisite.org and memorize most of the symbols on there. But then again the only thing I'm not good at is following stroke order (for kanji). Mostly because I jump to the conclusion that it doesn't matter as long as the symbol comes out right.

I personally find the best way of learning is either classes (which i never took yet because they don't have classes for 14 year olds >_>) or the other way which isn't classes was to either get a book about it and explaining the language order and such or do the cheaper less expensive way and find a webpage that does that.
Old 2008-08-28, 18:05
Unregistered

are there any visual novels with furigana on most kanji?
Old 2008-08-28, 18:27
Addicted

Not as such. Even so-called 'all-ages' VNs are generally aimed at high school-aged kids or above, so the target audience is generally presumed to have a solid grasp of at least the common kanji. Accordingly, even in a best case scenario, only unusual words and names will receive furigana.

On a related note, though, I notice that the Japanese edition of the new Zelda DS game has (very commendably) added furigana to every single kanji in the game (toggable with the stylus). If a VN was ever released for younger audiences (which seems unlikely for a whole range of reasons), it'd be interesting to see whether something like that would be adopted.
Old 2008-08-28, 20:26
Addicted

On the slight digression of furigana in games, I would like to heartily recommend the Mother 1+2 collection and Mother 3 on the Gameboy Advance if one is looking to take one's reading to the next level but isn't quite skilled enough in kanji. The games are entirely in hiragana, and while normally that's a terrible terrible idea, the text is acutally spaced out so you don't spend an hour trying to comprehend a word before you learn that part of the word was actually a particle between two seperate ones.
Old 2008-09-01, 19:42
Wererat42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
are there any visual novels with furigana on most kanji?
I think there's AGTH mod somewhere that inserts furigana into scripts, which uses Itadaki, a Firefox add-on that does the same thing for websites.

Also, on the topic of learning Japanese I'll be leaving for Japan in three weeks to study in Yamagata-shi for a year.