gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2010-09-21, 11:28
chocorush

Default Clannad:Another Story Translation

Hi, everyone. While doing a bit of blogging stuff, I was reminded of this little project that I started a while ago, and the guilt of not putting much effort in getting it out slowly sort of built up. My lack of time made it hard for me to get things presentable in a way that I would like people to see things.

I know it's not exactly a vn-translation, but it seemed like the gemot (or what's left of it), would have been where the people who cared about it the most would hang out. Sorry if it's in the wrong place/thread.

The project is a collection of short stories released by Key a few years ago, that I had gotten a hold of last year and had been thinking about translating for a while. I have currently translated and edited Kotomi's story, though I'm in various stages of development for the others. The link to the story I have done is here: http://2xtottemo.wordpress.com/2010/...u-ni-owattano/.

Unfortunately, despite spending so much of my life programming in c/c++ i haven't devoted any time into all this web stuff >_<. So the one thing I have up is disorganized, and just an embarrassment presentation-wise. If anyone has any tips on learning this kind of stuff in a reasonable amount of time (I know that there aren't really any "easy" ways to learn these things), that would be really helpful.

I realize that there was another project on baka-tsuki that stalled a few years ago, but seeing how it was more of a personal project to enjoy Clannad more, I didn't think it was appropriate to try to merge projects. Maybe a vanity issue, but the idea of putting my work up on a wiki just felt strange to me.

Also, any suggestions where else to post, as I have gotten quite behind on the internet community stuff since the days of Haeleth (just noticed the sad letter he left behind T_T), so any tips on where this might be appreciated is helpful.

Thanks!
-ikotomi
Old 2010-09-21, 11:51
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocorush View Post
Unfortunately, despite spending so much of my life programming in c/c++ i haven't devoted any time into all this web stuff >_<. So the one thing I have up is disorganized, and just an embarrassment presentation-wise. If anyone has any tips on learning this kind of stuff in a reasonable amount of time (I know that there aren't really any "easy" ways to learn these things), that would be really helpful.
http://www.w3schools.com/ was where I learned basic web stuff, though there are millions of such websites out there. I also quite like tutorials on YouTube, because of my tiny attention span, though the quality greatly varies.

My biggest tip is using proper web designing software such as Dreamweaver (or one of the free alternatives). Seeing people trying to create websites in Notepad and MS Word so on hurts my brain.

Good luck, and thanks for the translations!
Old 2010-09-21, 15:01

What kind of "web stuff"? Choosing a theme with a wider width might help. Wordpress.com also lets you set some fonts. The editor do wysiwyg already, so there isn't much need to worry about format, style, etc. Javascripts and php etc aren't allowed on there, so no point learning those.

Last edited by Kenn; 2010-09-21 at 15:03.
Old 2010-09-21, 16:42
chocorush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
What kind of "web stuff"? Choosing a theme with a wider width might help. Wordpress.com also lets you set some fonts. The editor do wysiwyg already, so there isn't much need to worry about format, style, etc. Javascripts and php etc aren't allowed on there, so no point learning those.
I guess I just want more control over how everything looks without hoping somebody created a theme that already suited my purpose. It's just a bit daunting looking at some of the documentation on wordpress's codex as it requires knowing a little bit about a lot of things like xml, css, etc. Though I'd have to be honest and say I never really got down and said "I'm going to fiddle around with this stuff for the next hour," as I never really broke down how I'm going to attack it in a way that's not demotivational.
Old 2010-09-22, 23:40

If you stay with wordpress.com, you'll have to pay for them to allow you to edit the theme's css. Even internal style sheets are removed, as far as I know. Just like javascripts, etc.

I would simply just choose a relatively wide-width theme, one that doesn't have obnoxious colors, and insert pictures with the wysiwyg editor at places as you see fit. There really isn't much need for anything else, as in the end, it's the story, the text that is the main focus here.
Old 2010-12-19, 17:17
chocorush

Wow, 3 months without any updates. Hard to find the time to work on these kinds of things when not on vacation. Can't really promise a more constant stream of updates, especially since I don't have access to the book at this moment, but I'll try to make working on these a higher priority.

Next story involves Fuuko.
http://2xtottemo.wordpress.com/2010/...-koukos-diary/