gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2009-06-09, 02:16
Visitor

Default Problem with editing Text in Overdrive Games

Well like the thread title says, I have quite a problem here. I wanted to translate "Edelweiss Eiden Fantasia" and now, that I have the files extracted, I can`t edit them. If I try to edit it with hex, I can`t find the Game text (to be precise if I copy something out of hex I get ASCII Code even though I chose Unicode in the Hexeditor settings). After that I tried it with Editor(The normal Windows one) and Wordpad. In those two I can find the Game text, but once I edit them the Game doesn`t accept them anymore -.-"

Can anyone help me on this one?

Edit:
Ah, I forgot to mention that the extracted files do not have a file extension.

Last edited by Zeomak; 2009-06-09 at 02:18. Reason: Forgot something important
Old 2009-06-09, 08:01

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Unless you can find a programmer who can reverse engineer BGI bytecode for you, you should probably give up, since it sounds like you don't have the technical expertise for handling that game engine. Besides, isn't this one of the games that MangaGamer might have a small chance of announcing in a month or so?
Old 2009-06-09, 08:38
Visitor

http://i41.tinypic.com/107qk91.jpg
That is the error I get.

Well that sounds somewhat discouraging -.-" Isn`t there something on the net already? Well I mean I looked up over a hunred sites already, but maybe someone has a bit more experince in this than me....
Old 2009-06-09, 08:49
Obsessive

They were supposed to announce it this year first quarter... but I guess they will later, if ever
I do encourage you to do it, because I would love to read it.
Old 2009-06-09, 12:20
Visitor

Well thank you ^^"

I have, like I said, already extracted the files and I CAN edit it, but the real problem is that I can not make the accept the edited files. (Editing in Hex fails no matter what I try. I would need a script dumper to do it, but still havn`t found one. Only possiblity left is Word Processor -.-")
Old 2009-06-09, 12:29
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeomak View Post
Only possiblity left is Word Processor -.-")
You're missing the real possibility here: writing your own tools. That's usually the way things get done, writing tools.
Old 2009-06-09, 12:50
Local

Send a message via AIM to pbsaffran Send a message via Skype™ to pbsaffran

Quote:
Besides, isn't this one of the games that MangaGamer might have a small chance of announcing in a month or so?
Can we honestly look at ourselves in the mirror and genuinely say that there is a "CHANCE" that MANGAGAMER gets a release ? Aren't they mr. and mrs. Babelfish ?
Old 2009-06-09, 17:53

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeomak
I have, like I said, already extracted the files and I CAN edit it, but the real problem is that I can not make the accept the edited files.
The fact that you can load up the file in a text editor and convince it to write changes to a file means pretty much nothing. Script extraction (aka being able to find and read the original script) is always easy compared to extraction in such a way that allows you to insert the new text back in. Extraction by itself is pretty much pointless unless you simply want to read the original script, which is what some Japanese tools do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsaffran View Post
Aren't they mr. and mrs. Babelfish ?
I can assure you that the translation in Suika is pretty good. Certainly not top notch, but definitely a lot better than Edelweiss and miles ahead of anything current machine translation can pull off.
Old 2009-06-11, 04:59
Visitor

Well I (somehow ^^") managed to get the script readable. But the Editor I use to "decode" it can`t save it (Some Plugin error which I do not understand because its complety written in hex -.-). So I have thought of another option to do it. If this works I`ll start working on it in the evening today.
Old 2009-06-11, 06:11
dsp2003

Sup, guys. Actually, we have a tools and approved methods of extraction, editing and reinsertion of both scripts & graphics of BGI-based VNs. Interested? :)