gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-08-21, 21:30
K

Clearly I must be thick or something, but Blade is the only one I looked at and thought that I could just dive right in and make something with.

I don't question that it's extremely feature-deficient, but assuming they do work on the things they say they're working on, I kinda like the direction it's heading in.

Dunno. Just felt like nobody here was willing to stand up for it at all... >_>;;
Old 2006-08-22, 04:36
Regular

Send a message via MSN to rednaxela

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Dunno. Just felt like nobody here was willing to stand up for it at all... >_>;;
Gotta say, when you've got free VN interpreters that are open source and already in shape, and a closed-source one that's still "in infancy stage", it really isn't a hard choice of what to choose, unless, well, one might think the ease of writing in Blade's script is really worth of loosing even the ability to use variables. Variable customization sometimes seem so critical that once I heard a fellow complaining KrKr2 doesn't provide random numbers that he needed to get his system-in-mind working. And one question: what's Blade's Japanese counterpart mentioned on their official site? I'm sure I saw this:
Quote:
Blade Engine was developed based on professional Visual Novel engine being used in Japan
There's a VN tool (or extendible VN game, should I say) published by enterbrain, called Ren'ai-simulation Tsukuru 2 (duh, I dunno if it's got an English name...the official site for the series is at http://www.daiichi-koutsu.co.jp/mbi/renai-main.html), we call it LM2 for short. If you want easy coding, this one might be even easier to use than Blade, wouldn't it? But, it's in Japanese. I've seen two Chinese versions (simplified/traditional) of this, too, but dunno if there is an English version.

If anyone would like to try, I'm sure KrKr2/KAG3 is also a good choice in terms of making original English-language VNs. It's open source, it supports unicode, and it supports plug-ins to add your own customizations. but anyway you might want to tweak some of the details a little bit before actually using it, like menus. There's even a developing environment (something like IDE where you can edit your code and debug and sorts...) project going on called KKDE, hosted on SourceForge (https://sourceforge.jp/projects/kkde/). The down side might be that I haven't seen much English materials covering KrKr2. So, should anyone work on English support for KrKr2, it might be a good choice.

ONScripter is something I have to thank to, for it's the very VN tool that made my PSP useful...
Old 2006-08-22, 09:24
K

Like I said, I don't question that it's extremely deficient in features. Just... not all projects actually require variables (visual novels?) and I'm under the impression that Blade _is_ being worked on and should support these things eventually.

I'm not going to argue Blade is actually better or anything, but it seems to get more hate here than seems to be merited...?
Old 2006-08-22, 09:48
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
I'm not going to argue Blade is actually better or anything, but it seems to get more hate here than seems to be merited...?
I think a significant number of points against it have been outlined.
Old 2006-08-22, 09:54
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shii
I think a significant number of points against it have been outlined.
It cannot possibly be as bad as the engine for the first Russian visual novel, 'Book of the dead: the Lost Souls' though. :) I can tell you a long horror story about this one. (The game content is horrifying too, but not because it's scary - just because it's way too bad for what I would expect a commercial game to be.)
--- Maybe not the rest of Russia, but I certainly do.
Old 2006-08-22, 10:15
K

Oddly enough, it just occurred that I looked at Ren'py and it suddenly also made sense. Err. Moot point now?
Old 2006-08-22, 10:19
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
There's also some annoyance/jealousy/backlash coming from Blade's publicity splash I think... it would be awesome for Ren'py or ONScripter to have had equal press releases, Slashdot and ANN coverage, etc. "Why are they getting all the attention when 'we' have been doing the same thing, for longer, and better?"
Old 2006-08-23, 01:44
Regular

Send a message via MSN to rednaxela

So 恋愛シミュレーションツクル2 by Enterbrain is refered to as Love Simulation School 2 in English...just got to know that today.

If you have the patience to read manuals or materials in Japanese, the range of choice would surely be bigger, for KiriKiri2/KAG3, LiveMaker, Alicesoft's System 4.0 and so are popular choices among the fellows in Japan. What I want to say is that if you have a wider range to choose from, sure you'll find the one that best fits your projects. To be realistic, in English languange realm, Ren'py really has some advantage, perhaps not in functionality, but from language level (Python-like) to the rich materials available.