gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-03, 21:53
Obsessive

MG's panel is happening right now, i'll edit in anything worth noting (thanks to bayoab's feed):

Storyline for Go! Go! Nippon!
Quote:
22:51:27 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> Go Go Nippon
22:51:40 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> the main character is you gusy
22:51:41 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> the main character is you guys
22:51:43 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> what kind of game is this?
22:51:47 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> and you home stay for 1 week in japan
22:52:05 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> and conveniently, you are staying with two sisters whose parents aren't home
22:52:14 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> so you can choose one of the sisters and travel around japan
Sections for Go! Go! Nippon!
Quote:
22:53:20 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> there's even an explanation on how to use washlets
22:53:35 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> (the toilets that wash parts)
22:53:42 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> also teaches you how to ride the subways in japan
22:53:56 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> and actually, we have a currency conversion calculator
22:54:26 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> every time yoon, u spend money to travel in gogo nippon, it tells you how much you spent
Go! Go! Nippon! Release date:
Quote:
22:55:00 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> at the earliest, a release at the end of the month

22:55:24 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> and actually, planning to make it available on iphone and android
22:55:32 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> it will be $10-$15
ef:
Quote:
22:57:34 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> ef - a fairy tale of the two by minori
22:57:50 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> my friend, the president of minori, has a message for everybody
22:57:55 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> "sorry it's late"
22:57:58 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> the end
I think they're trying to say "Speak to us before you release your fan-translation"? >.> hes also referring to fan-translations as fansubs.
Quote:
23:00:38 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> so if we could cooperate with many fansubbers, and make high quality titles for you guys..
23:01:19 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> so if the fansubbers could stop uploaders without talking to us, that would be great..(actually you could just stop doing it .. translators made it weird)
23:01:29 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> having fansubs out make it really hard to work with the publishers
DearDrops Demo confirmed:
Quote:
23:04:20 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> we're planning to have a demo up by the end of july
dengeki stryker is actually costing them a lot more then we think due to the voices:
Quote:
23:07:01 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> do you know JAM project
23:07:12 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> the vocaloist masaki endo and...do you know evangelion
23:07:29 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> do you know ikari shinji...do you know megumi kobata.. she's one of the voice actors
23:07:41 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> and the animation director is watanabe shinchi
23:07:53 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> if we don't sell enough of these, we're going to go under
Possible titles:
Quote:
23:09:04 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> we have a bunch of titles we are negotiating for ....
23:08:49 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> kimi no nozomu eien
Quote:
23:16:38 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> b: and of course da capo 3 will be localized right
23:16:43 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> t: sure (deadpan-ish)
Quote:
23:22:16 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> Q: Will Da capo+ communciation and Da capo 2+ communication be localized
23:22:35 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> A: We will think about releasing it if the current da capo games that are out sell more
Quote:
23:23:47 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> Q: Any more info on Kimi ga nozomu eien?
23:24:22 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> A: so we're talking with age, the publisher, the president, and i think pretty soon, we can make a pretty good announcement
23:24:26 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> but negotations are really hard
Full MG names:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...758906866.jpg/
Go! Go! Nippon!
My First Trip To Japan

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...759374000.jpg/
Harukoi Otome
-Greetings From the Maidens Garden-

Last edited by swiftnissity; 2011-07-03 at 22:29.
Old 2011-07-03, 22:55
Obsessive

"kimi no nozomu eien" now this is something to look forward to.

in other news, Sentai Filmworks have licensed "ef: a tale of memories" and "ef: a tale of melodies" anime. They are also going to re-release "Clannad" on Blu-Ray this coming November. Sadly, all Sentai BD are released as regional 'A' only.

Sentai Filmworks Adds Ro-Kyu-Bu, Loups-Garous, ef
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...oups-garous-ef
Old 2011-07-04, 05:11
Obsessive

I don't know where this originates from but apparently Ef (the game) might be getting an English dub.

Quote:
@Dave: John will be sending Sentai an email regarding a possible crossover dub. 11:39 For EF.
this is floating around 4chan and someone on the MG forums referenced it too.

I'm assuming this is Mangagamers answer to the voice issues. If they can't get the Japanese voices, dub them in....
Old 2011-07-04, 05:34
Obsessive

dub will be far more expensive then licensing the Japanese voice... I won't hold my breath on this........
Old 2011-07-04, 05:56
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
We've been over this before. The English term 'visual novel' is not the same as the Japanese 'NVL'. The term 'visual novel' in English can refer to any ADV, NVL, visual novel, kinetic novel, sound novel and similar games where there's little to no gameplay and you're more reading than playing the entire time.
If any game that has a lot of text should be considered a visual novel, then Western text adventures should be considered visual novels too, because although you spend a lot of time typing, the majority of modern players don't consider typing words to be gameplay, and aren't even aware that text adventures ever existed.

In some Western adventure games, you spend more time listening or reading than playing, yet they're still wildly considered adventure games.
Old 2011-07-04, 06:11
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toranth View Post
Especially since, in English, "adventure game" refers to games that focus on quest-like activities, such as item collecting and puzzle solving. In the 1970s, this was 'Adventure' or 'Zork', and the 80s and 90s this was the 'Kings Quest' style games.

Just because the Japanese have been misusing a pre-existing term for years doesn't mean that you should confuse things by bringing the meaning from a different language into this one. In Japanese, call them Adventure (ADV) games. In English, call them Visual Novels.

You are aware that Japanese ADV gameplay is a streamlined version of the text parsers and graphic interfaces used in Western adventures, right...? You know that Japanese ADV have the same roots as Western adventures, right?
Old 2011-07-04, 06:53
dorkatlarge

Some unexpected news from a /jp/ thread. According to what I'm reading at http://boards.4chan.org/jp/res/7566210 , progress has been made on the Idolmaster SP translation. The first post states, "All of Makoto's communications and story events are now done, in addition to Haruka's. Some of Haruka's events have been retranslated from the last release. Thanks to an anon from the last thread, the menu translations are now working better, so I added them this time." (On TLWiki, there was an Idolmaster SP fan translation project. It's currently marked as stalled/inactive, and the last update there was from 2009.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That explicitly said they got it at AX, I'm not sure what you're talking about.
The ANN article mentioned above may have been incorrect, or I may have misunderstood it. However, as of this writing, I do not see any statements on JAST's website indicating whether the Starry Sky franchise is licensed. Nor do I see any official statement on their Twitter feed. So if the company clarifies the licensing status of Starry Sky, or if I simply did not see an announcement, then please correct me. Cite your sources -- for example, if you know of a detailed liveblog or a full transcript of JAST's panel, then please be sure to state where the information may be found. (I found a rather vague transcript at http://inside.anime-expo.org/games/2.../ax11-jast-usa which implies it's licensed, but provides no details...)
Old 2011-07-04, 07:44
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Message View Post
Not to mention that with lower translation costs (assuming that buying an existing translation is indeed cheaper than doing it from scratch), the games would probably also be cheaper than they otherwise would've been.

Apart from the obvious 'some people need something to bash', perhaps the 'hate' stems from a feeling that one should be able to get everything for free. Pirating a Japanese game and getting a free translation patch possibly feels more 'free' than pirating an already localized game from a Western company?
Actually, someone from MangaGamer said in an interview that a good deal of the staff is from Overdrive, including at least part of the translators (the company that fund MangaGamer) and that they aren't paid, otherwise, most of the games would end up in the red apparently, since most don't even sell 1k copies.
Old 2011-07-04, 08:32
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkatlarge View Post
Going from the English version of Sakura Wars 5, and what I've read in FAQs about the other main games in the series, each game is about half visual novel and half combat. It's pretty rare to see a console game in English with such an emphasis on reading, so that's *probably* why Sony rejected the unnamed company which wanted to license it. That said, it seemed a bit odd how Hakuouki for PSP got a green light for translation, but the port of SW1-2 for PSP didn't. I don't know if Sony's policies have changed, or if this was just some coincidence.

Unfortunately, I don't think this has been confirmed. According to a recent article on ANN, the JAST staff are "looking into the process of licensing" the Starry Sky visual novels and drama CDs. This is stated at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ry-sky-project . The article doesn't mention the Starry Sky anime TV series, which doesn't seem to be licensed for streaming or home video. Regardless, the JAST website doesn't mention this *yet*, but there's already a discussion on their forums.
Well, technically, although in English fandom people often mix-up ADV with VNs, Sakura Wars is part adventure (ADV) and part tactical simulation.

I think it was someone from NISA who said in the past that SCEA doesn't consider text based games to be real video games.
Sakura Wars actually is not even a text adventure, but does most of the SCEA staff know the difference, and are they aware of ADV?

As for SCEA policies, they supposedly also had policies like no 2D games, no RPG's, and no Japanese voice acting. If that's true, that means they must have changed the 2D policy, or maybe they're more lenient for PSP games?
Old 2011-07-04, 09:04
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Quote: