gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-11-18, 00:31
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Starchanchan Send a message via MSN to Starchanchan
Default [Release] Echoes of Thunder DEMO

:3 at last, we have finished it! This is an original release, not a localization; we're turning the first book in my friend's trilogy into a visual novel. The demo is:

-the prologue of the novel
-unvoiced
-novel style

Wheras the full version will be:

-the entire novel
-voiced
-more of a typical visual novel style

We're releasing the prologue as a demo, and we plan on selling actual CD copies of the finished game (because, y'know, it's the length of a novel, since it IS a novel).

The game can be downloaded here (click on the Visual Novel link on the right):

http://finalwaltzonline.com/index2.html

Currently just Mac and Windows for download, because we don't have anyone to beta-test a Linux release right now ^^;;

We've put a lot of time and effort into this, so I hope people like it X3;;

[edit 8/29/08] New website.
[edit 1/22/09] Server and URL change.

Last edited by Starchanchan; 2009-01-21 at 23:09.
Old 2006-11-18, 02:44
Obsessive

[Edit: Statement rephrased to be less personal]
Finally. A short doujin VN that doesn't suck. I really liked it!

Great work. Maybe a bit fast-paced, jumping from conclusion to conclusion... But I reckon that's how it was supposed to be, to illustrate the endless Phoenix cycle.

Story, graphics and music are all awesome. Soundeffects could use some finetuning, maybe a little lower on the volume and better fading in and out. I understand that making a full VN with background CGs only will probably take too much time and effort, but the third person perspective of the demo really appealed to me. If you can make that work throughout the entire story... ^__^

I can't make heads or tails out of your website, by the way...

[Edit] Sound mode has a typo: Atlantean Twlight. You might also want to add a rightclick = exit in the menu tree.
Old 2006-11-18, 06:49

Works fine with the Linux Onscripter build here. Well, so far, anyway.

Impressed thus far.
Old 2006-11-18, 07:14

Yep, works beginning to end on Linux. You may as well package that up and put it on the site.

Looking forward to the full thing, though I'd guess it's going to take ages...

The afterword says the main body of the work will have voices - how are you going to manage this? Non-sucking voice actors are *very* hard to find, it seems, and a bad voice can spoil the whole work.
Will we be able to turn them off, at least? :)
Old 2006-11-18, 12:35
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Message
Sound mode has a typo: Atlantean Twlight. You might also want to add a rightclick = exit in the menu tree.
I'm glad you liked it! And thanks for pointing that out- I'll fix it for the final release. ^^ I'll look into the rightclick as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
The afterword says the main body of the work will have voices - how are you going to manage this? Non-sucking voice actors are *very* hard to find, it seems, and a bad voice can spoil the whole work.
Will we be able to turn them off, at least? :)
Yes, I'm going to attempt to program in a voices menu where you can adjust the volume or turn off the voices altogether. ^^ my programming knowledge is a bit basic, but the game my group localized for at2006 had voices and had a similar menu, so I'm going to look at the script for that and see if that helps me any.
Old 2006-11-18, 12:56
marus

I just finished reading the demo, and so far I'm impressed. The CGs are wonderful, and I think the music is pretty good too. The story is intriguing (actually it reminds me a lot of the Lufia/Estopolis series), and I'm interested to see where the story goes. I've never read any of the Final Waltz books, but the transition to visual novel format seems to have gone well. My one complaint is that the sound effects (especially the thunder) sound rather scratchy. I'm not sure if it's just because they were compressed to keep the demo small, but you might want to consider getting some cleaner samples if you can. Other than that, I enjoyed reading this and I'm looking forward to the final release.
Old 2006-11-18, 15:03
Regular

Is this the first ever Onscripter-based OELVN?

My download can't finish fast enough, as I cannot wait to get my grubby hands on this!

Quote:
Finally. An OEL that doesn't suck.
Uh, as a member of the the OELVN community, I find that a bit insulting. There are at least several works which are revolutionary, but that is just my opinion. Then again, I have played them all, more or less.
Old 2006-11-19, 01:22
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Quote:
Finally. An OEL that doesn't suck.
Uh, as a member of the the OELVN community, I find that a bit insulting. There are at least several works which are revolutionary, but that is just my opinion. Then again, I have played them all, more or less.
Which I obviously have not, my remark was not as much a commentary on OELs in general as it was an exclamation of pleasant surprise. The sad truth is that my personal experience is that OELs are either lacking in several aspects, or severely lacking in a specific one. For example, I've seen several VNs that were extroardinarily beautiful in the 'Visual' department, but completely failed in the 'Novel' part. Not only OELs actually, so I might as well have said "finally a short doujin VN that doesn't suck". My apologies if I insulted you, though. Feel free to point me to some OELs that you think would be high quality. ^_^

Another bug: On line 70 (in *end) and 84 (in *extras) you set rmode 0, but you forget to set it back to 1. As an effect you can no longer use the rightclick in the game after you've entered the extras menu or clicked End once.
Old 2006-11-19, 11:10
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Message
Another bug: On line 70 (in *end) and 84 (in *extras) you set rmode 0, but you forget to set it back to 1. As an effect you can no longer use the rightclick in the game after you've entered the extras menu or clicked End once.
Alright, I've (hopefully) fixed that in the full version script as well ^^ thanks for pointing that out!
Old 2006-11-19, 13:47
Local

Read the prologue and I really enjoyed it a lot. The story's interesting with that lovely bittersweet and sad air to it. I enjoyed the music very much, especially "With the Sea". That song has a sweet, melancholy, fable-like feel to it that does an excellent job at putting a person in the atmosphere.

I'm excited for this one. Heh heh.
Old 2006-11-20, 15:09
Shiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by New/Old
I enjoyed the music very much, especially "With the Sea". That song has a sweet, melancholy, fable-like feel to it that does an excellent job at putting a person in the atmosphere.
I seriously couldn't have said it better myself. :3

Just finished the demo, i really enjoyed it. Its left me with that feeling knowing that the complete work shall be something epic. Any chance you'll be releasing the music used?