gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2007-10-12, 14:28

I think you might need a native Jap speaker to proof-read your translation before any of your work is released. I bet you just can't have the faintest idea how important that is unless you go through all the trials and tribulations as I did when I took the time out to compare the Eng patch for D.C.P.C with the orginial Jap scripts. There was bad/poor, inaccurate/equivocal, surplus/insufficient tranlsation all over the place. It was just regrettably horrible.

Nonetheless, I guess the patch would prove much more satisfactory if they had had their work checked by a native Jap speaker, or at least the patch wouldn't be so botched that it was almost nothing short of a disaster if they had had employed one or two native speakers as testers. But now is too late for anything as the patch has been around for like a year and many people have already completed all the routes covered by the patch.

I'd also like you to know that I'm not by any means questioning your Jap skills. Obviously you're bound to do a much better job than the D.C.P.C.-patchish fiasco and I'm excited that someone has finally been committed to crack such a hard nut. And here I'm just a little bit concerned about the overall accuracy of the translation since it's really a massive project. I know it might still be a little bit early to worry about anything yet, but just give it a thought.

Last edited by dukedhx; 2007-10-12 at 14:47.
Old 2007-10-12, 18:44
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedhx View Post
I think you might need a native Jap speaker to proof-read your translation before any of your work is released. I bet you just can't have the faintest idea how important that is unless you go through all the trials and tribulations as I did when I took the time out to compare the Eng patch for D.C.P.C with the orginial Jap scripts. There was bad/poor, inaccurate/equivocal, surplus/insufficient tranlsation all over the place. It was just regrettably horrible.

Nonetheless, I guess the patch would prove much more satisfactory if they had had their work checked by a native Jap speaker, or at least the patch wouldn't be so botched that it was almost nothing short of a disaster if they had had employed one or two native speakers as testers. But now is too late for anything as the patch has been around for like a year and many people have already completed all the routes covered by the patch.

I'd also like you to know that I'm not by any means questioning your Jap skills. Obviously you're bound to do a much better job than the D.C.P.C.-patchish fiasco and I'm excited that someone has finally been committed to crack such a hard nut. And here I'm just a little bit concerned about the overall accuracy of the translation since it's really a massive project. I know it might still be a little bit early to worry about anything yet, but just give it a thought.
I see a proofreader volunteer who's name starts with d... >.>
Old 2007-10-12, 19:31
Local

Send a message via AIM to Edger

Quote:

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you what I have so far so you can see how accurate it is or what not. But I'll agree with you there. Anyhow, I just think that at least someone working on something is better than no one working on something.
Old 2007-10-12, 19:48
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edger View Post
If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you what I have so far so you can see how accurate it is or what not. But I'll agree with you there. Anyhow, I just think that at least someone working on something is better than no one working on something.
Quoted for truth. It's not like there's any great deal of demand for the exclusive right to fan-translate Canvas 2. My own current translation project is also something I haven't heard about in the English speaking world at all, so I don't think anyone else translating it would be discouraged by my releasing a patch, even if it isn't high quality.
Old 2007-10-13, 08:11

Sorry, I don't really have the time... I also have my own project to grind out in the space of a year. Plus, I'm not at all a native Jap speaker... I'm only a Chinese who happens to speak both Eng and Jap a liittle...
Old 2007-10-13, 16:29
Local

Quote:
Plus, I'm not at all a native Jap speaker... I'm only a Chinese who happens to speak both Eng and Jap a liittle...
Hey, me too! Welcome to the club :P

As for the progress, I haven't really progressed at all this week due to me obsessing over One and some other series that have been finishing up. But Day 3 is pretty much done, so progress will resume on Day 4 shortly.
Old 2007-10-13, 16:48
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

You know, this is a rather long standing fallacy, but having native-speaker status doesn't a good translator make. It's nice to have, but knowing two languages doesn't mean you can bring them together.

Hell, if it were true, I'd be a translator thanks to my bilingual English/Cantonese, but I can't do anything of that sort. All the internalized language rules in my head are so wrapped up in their own thought patterns that it wouldn't work unless I carefully trained myself to analyze the language closely. Best I really manage are paraphrases.

All the detailed nuances between both languages would get glossed over 'cause I've never thought about X in Y language. Because, well Duh, X is X, that's what it is and how I know it, if I need to describe or even think about it, I have X available to me, why would I need to describe it in Y now?

Actual writing ability, and conscious working with 2 languages is more important for the actual job of a translator than some magical shortcut.
Old 2007-10-14, 21:46
Local

Of course. And like most people would say, practice makes perfect. As I've said before, it's probably not going to be completely accurate or anything like that, but I'll make sure that it has good grammar and flows well. I hate things that are done half heartedly myself. Although I haven't seen anything bad in terms of fan translations just yet.

About halfway into Day 4 now. The intro into Day 4 was pretty interesting :P
Old 2007-10-15, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edger View Post
Of course. And like most people would say, practice makes perfect. As I've said before, it's probably not going to be completely accurate or anything like that, but I'll make sure that it has good grammar and flows well. I hate things that are done half heartedly myself. Although I haven't seen anything bad in terms of fan translations just yet.

About halfway into Day 4 now. The intro into Day 4 was pretty interesting :P
By "me too", do u mean to say that u r also from that "chinkish country"?XD~
Old 2007-10-15, 05:20