gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2007-05-11, 19:37
Omgwtflolzz

Default A3 figures

My first batch finally arrived a few days ago. Review time.

Ended up forking out US$72 for each, excluding shipping (another $22).

Already pre-ordered one of each from the second batch, and plan on getting the third batch's Shiranui and four white Takemikaduchi (one to customize).

Including shipping, that'll be around $700. o/

They look nice, though.

The play value they keep talking about, though... The wossname joints they use are Revoltech ripoffs and nowhere as good. Besides, if it's Revoltech, you just fuck around with it and if it breaks you can just get another because they're dirt cheap, but these are too expensive and too hard to get for that.

Poseability is kind of icky, parts keep falling off (especially on my Takemikaduchi, the Shiranui is fine for some reason), the smaller parts are fragile (broke one of the Takemikaduchi's sword racks in five minutes) and balance is terrible (I'm thinking of grabbing those action base things meant for Gundam puramo).

But hey, it's Muv-Luv and not gareki.

Hopefully they'll fix these problems before the second and third batches are released.
Old 2007-05-11, 19:39
Omgwtflolzz

Oh, right, the purple Takemikaduchi doesn't turn out very well in photos, apparently. Looks kind of blue.

And if you can't tell, my first Shiranui has Mitsuki's markings.
Old 2007-05-11, 21:33
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Mmm pretty to look at, even though I neither have room nor budget for figures of any stripe.

Did they sell a Red Takemikazuchi? Kamio, Ebisu, Tomoe would be lost without Manamana.
Old 2007-05-12, 05:34
Omgwtflolzz

Red Takemikaduchi is in the second batch, which goes on sale at the end of this month, which means mine will arrive early next month.

Personally, I'm going for the Ouka-sakusen party, not Tsukuyomi and friends + Meiya. Missing the Susanoo, though. :/

...and I'm now thinking of getting five white Takemikaduchi. Three for the Valkyries, one to customize, and one to modify for Kei (and Iinchou)'s death scene. I'd need to make a Medium head from scratch, though, and I suck at that shit.

Bandai's action bases fit the A3 figures perfectly... if you stick them in sideways.

o/

Anyway, more photos.

Shiranui (Hayase Mitsuki)

Markings on the Shiranui. They're seals, not decals, so they're kind of hard to get right. The sheet includes a Valkyries (or Valkylies, rather) emblem and Alternative logo, too (stuck those on my Nintendo DS).

Not pictured is a "UN" bigger than the right shoulder's, for the shield.

Takemikaduchi (Meiya)

(More Yuuhi than Meiya, pose-wise, but eh.)

I took some photos of them on the Bandai action bases, too, but they turned out icky and I'm not uploading them.
Old 2007-05-12, 18:44
Omgwtflolzz

Action base photos.

Like I said before, perfect fit if you stick them in sideways.

Shiranui + action bae.

Takemikaduchi + action base.

Old 2007-05-12, 21:34
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

So many?
Seems like alot to pay and effort spent to get a takemikazuchi to full with bite marks and blood splatters. Though it'd be pretty impressive if you managed it, nevermind the head which looks like an ugly white wrinkled melon anyways.

Having a Susanoo would just throw off the scale of everything anyways. Would be like having a base-ball sized death star next to a 1/6th scale x-wing, just looks weird.

The stands are pretty impressive. I know nothing about Gunpura, but it looks like they're designed to hold even larger gundam models? The bulk and sheer white of the stand really stands out against the brightly colored models.
If you had some acrylic rods superglued to the holder part of the arm that'd be spiffy though an utter PIA to build ^_^
Old 2007-05-13, 06:42
Omgwtflolzz

>>I know nothing about Gunpura, but it looks like they're designed to hold even larger gundam models?

Haven't checked, but they look way too small for my MG Griffon (Patlabor, but still a Bandai puramo). The size is probably just to accomodate all the holes needed for adjusting the arm.

>>Having a Susanoo would just throw off the scale of everything anyways. Would be like having a base-ball sized death star next to a 1/6th scale x-wing, just looks weird.

I personally wouldn't mind forking out 40000 yen or so for an A3-scale non-gareki Susanoo Yongata.

...I'd probably need to buy a new display case, though.
Old 2007-05-19, 07:56
Omgwtflolzz

Shiranui

Takemikaduchi

Old 2007-05-19, 21:19
Omgwtflolzz

Last batch of photos for now. Probably.

Old 2007-05-25, 19:20
Omgwtflolzz

Comparison with other robot toys.

Size
MG > HG ≒ A3 > Revoltech

MG is massive. HG is about the same as A3. Revoltech is pretty small. Simple enough.

Colour/details
A3 > MG > Revoltech > HG

A3 comes fully painted, but you may need to fill in some of the lines, decent details. MG isn't painted, but most of the parts come in the colours they're supposed to be in anyway, and have very good details. Revoltech comes fully painted, but they're not very detailed. HG is bleh.

Price
A3 (6000) < MG (4000) < Revoltech (2000) < HG (1500)

A3高スッ!!!

You don't need to assemble it, though, so I suppose you could think of the price difference as an assembly/painting fee or something.

...still expensive.

Poseability
Revoltech > A3 ≒ MG > HG

A3's wossname joints are ripoffs of Revoltech's, but aren't as good. AND some parts keep falling off. MG is about as poseable as A3. HG is somewhat poseable if you aren't afraid of breaking things.

Overall
Revoltech > A3 ≒ MG >>>>>>>>> HG

Yeah, Revoltech's good.

But of course, there're things that you can only get in HG/MG/A3/Revoltech, so if you're a fan of one of the series exclusive to one of them, the only choice you have is to get it or not. orz

つまり

買わないで後悔するより買ってから後悔しろ

そういうことだ

以上、現場のOmgwtflolzがお伝えしました
Old 2007-05-25, 19:31
Omgwtflolzz

Oh, right, some things I left out.

HG and MG (and PG) are, of course, model kits, and thus more for model kit enthusiasts who modify and paint and weather and shit, and so really can't be compared to action figures in that area.

Revoltech's second generation of figures are apparently more(!) poseable than the first. Can't verify this yet as none of mine have arrived.

Play value
Revoltech >>>>>>> A3 ≒ MG >>> HG
Simple enough. As said in a previous post, Revoltech is cheap and you can just buy a new one if you break something. Same can't be said of MG and HG because you need to reassemble/paint them, nor of A3 unless you're really rich because it's crazyexpensive.

Display value
MG > A3 >>> HG ≒ Revoltech
MG is massive, detailed, and with a decent paint job can look really awesome. A3 is really nice. HG is really nice with a decent paint job, but if you can't pull one off are bleh. Revoltech is alright.
Old 2007-05-30, 06:13
Omgwtflolzz

Second batch arrived.

Shiranui (Akane markings)

Red Takemikaduchi

Group shot

Not many differences between this batch and the last. One of the blade mounts is replaced with two gun ones, and that's about it. Figures themselves are pretty much the same, with the exception of the red Takemikaduchi's colour, of course. The red Takemikaduchi is somewhat stiffer than the other three, but that's probably just mine.

Fun fact: The next Shiranui is exactly the same as this one, exact with radar, missile launchers and a new gun, so the only thing exclusive to this one is the decals.

Eh.
Old 2007-07-03, 06:11
Omgwtflolzz

And now that I'm not banned anymore...

A3 5/6 KITAAAAAAAAAAA

The white Takemikaduchi is nothing new. Red with new gun and recolour.

Damn, though, white is sexy. It's fucking pearly. Pearly is nice.

The third Shiranui is win.

Tama markings.

I gave mine a shield, too. Unfortunately this one came with the joints sort of loose, and the weight of the shield, two guns on the back, two missile pods. radar containers, and big gun mean that I can barely get it to stand up without the knees buckling. :/

But eh, at least I didn't get any with botched paint jobs. There've been reports of some of those out there, with the Takemikaduchi eyeslithings gone all funky.

Anyway, group shot.

Well, that was US$600 well spent.

Looks like the stuff in the second series will be announced next month. No idea when they'll start going on sale, but it looks like the series'll be centred around the American senjutsuki this time.

One more thing- I discovered that the blade mounts have the blades and mounts moulded seperately. Which means you can crack the mounts open and get the blades out. This equals fun if you mess with other figures or puramo or whatever.

Oh, and the collection campaign stuff was announced some time ago. Three Takemikaduchi- Dual-handed blade x3 (three colours), Shiranui- Tank-class BETA x5. 500 yen each, but of course you need to send them the coupon-things and have a shipping address in Japan which means I, at least, am screwed.

Thankfully, the campaign seems kind of piddly. Five tank-class BETA is blech, and even if I did get the two-handed blades I'd only use the purple one.
Old 2007-07-03, 06:13
Unregistered

Note about the group shot: The Akane Shiranui seems to have the gun mounts swinging under the armpits like they ought to be able to damn it Volks, but I guess I ought to point out that they can't and I just blu-tacked them on that way.