gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-14, 19:56
Obsessive

Exclamation Main Site isnt Working?

Quote:
Site Temporarily Unavailable
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.

error id: "bad_httpd_conf"

The main Visualnews.net won't open for me but these forums work. Anyone know why?
Old 2007-11-14, 22:24
Local

Send a message via ICQ to Billhead Send a message via Yahoo to Billhead

My guess is that www.visualnews.net and forums.visualnews.net are run on different servers, and a change was incorrectly made to the configuration for www.visualnews.net.
Old 2007-11-14, 23:41
Local

iirc the forums are on a dreamhost account but main has a server
Old 2007-11-15, 00:16
Roto

I think you've got that backwards; the main site looks like it's on DreamHost, and the forums are on a different server.
Old 2007-11-15, 10:40
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Yes, the main site is on Dreamhost, as is all the sub sites we host. The forums are on my personal server over at a datacenter in Seattle. I'm still working on transition over but then this happened?

What happened?
Simple, I havent paid the Dreamhost bill yet ><.

The problem?
Had a big finanical hit at the beginning of this month and I've been living of $50 for the past two weeks.

The solution?
Payday is (thank god) tomorrow.

Sorry about the inconvenience.
Old 2007-11-17, 11:08
Visitor

Smile

Is there a PayPal account or something we can donate to?
Old 2007-11-17, 12:48
Regular

If this site puts up a "donate" button I'm never visiting it again.

Misu chose to create this site and he should bear full responsibility for it. I've seen the traffic statistics (I had access to them for a while since that was a proviso for the Wind patch mirror) and they are nothing spectacular. Sites like Wikipedia I can understand since they reach more than 500 unique people a day. This site? Not a chance. And Misu is well enough to host contests. eBay/YJing all that stuff would provide more than enough money.

Has the internet come to this? Ads, ads, donate, donate, ads, donate? I hope Misu has the modesty to reject donations, since he's already suckered someone from Pittsburgh into his manly get-together. Maybe he should beg that person for $500, because that's the cost of a round-trip plane ticket across the USA.

Last edited by GipFace; 2007-11-17 at 12:57.
Old 2007-11-17, 15:59
Unregistered

This site has a donation button up since I visited it the first time which was two years ago lol..
Old 2007-11-17, 17:53
Posts way too much

With the interesting effect of the donation button being inaccessible when the site is most in need of donations (read: when the main site is down). =P

EDIT: Hang on, so this means GipFace is going to stop visiting when the main site comes back up, because there's a donation button on it?

Last edited by Asceai; 2007-11-17 at 17:56.
Old 2007-11-17, 19:33
dsp2003

Quote:
Hang on, so this means GipFace is going to stop visiting when the main site comes back up, because there's a donation button on it?
LOL. In my humble opinion, there's nothing bad in the donations (even a few bucks could improve the situation), especially when you're working "за красивое спасибо" (rus. means "just to hear people's thank you").

On the other hand, i hate ADS. >_<
Old 2007-11-17, 22:30
Regular

Hang on, so this means GipFace is going to stop visiting when the main site comes back up, because there's a donation button on it?
Not only that. I will request all NNL material to be removed from the site if that is the case. The very notion of a donate button on a site that is empowered by amateur work flies against everything I believe in.

Back in the day, donations were supposed to be a sign of goodwill. Today, the word "donate" is being thrown around so much. The term has become analogous to blackmail. Sites are threatening to close unless there are donations. Sites proclaim stagnant progress unless there are donations. It disgusts me.

There is no way to know how Misu spends the donations. My work is on this site, and for all I know, he may be simply pocketing the money for himself. I have never put a donation button on my site for this very reason because I know I am not perfect and will not risk my integrity. The donate button is an invitation to profit off the hard work of every contributor, myself included.

Disagree with me any way you like, but I call them as I see them.

Last edited by GipFace; 2007-11-17 at 22:32.
Old 2007-11-17, 23:07
Posts way too much

Well, the thing about donating is that you do it on the faith that it will be used strictly to support bandwidth costs. Of course, there's no way of knowing that for sure, but I would have faith that Misu would use whatever donations he receives appropriately.

And I don't think that Misu has ever explicitly asked for donations, even under the pretense of improving the site-- heck, I didn't even know there was a donate button, but I don't view the front page much anyway (didn't even notice it was down until someone mentioned it on IRC).

See, while it would not be appropriate to e.g. pay for living expenses with the donated money (unless it was explicitly for that purpose), I see no profiteering from allowing regular visitors to help alleviate the bandwidth costs associated with the site. What Misu is essentially providing is a hosting service for said amateur work (some of which, like DejaVu's releases, are not easily obtainable elsewhere), so I see that as being different from using other people's work to make a profit.

On that note, I don't offer donation mechanisms on any of the sites I host/work with, but nothing I run would use more than a few tens of gigabytes per month. My 'personal' site, which I don't really do anything with except host files (uses up a few gb at most per month, like in the two months Meritous was actually popular =p), could essentially be run on pocket change.

Last edited by Asceai; 2007-11-17 at 23:36.
Old 2007-11-18, 02:12
Local

I think putting up a donation button depends on what exactly you do and offer.
Moreover, nobody TELLS you to donate, I basically ignore such buttons unless it's a site which I really use a lot (i.e. Wikipedia).
Quote:
The very notion of a donate button on a site that is empowered by amateur work flies against everything I believe in.
Agreed, would also never ask for money for what I do or write. But where's the problem when you put sth like that up just to cover server costs?
Honestly, when there's somebody who wants to donate it's his/her business. End of story.
Old 2007-11-18, 04:03
Regular

Well, I guess you're right. There is no way to prevent stupid people with a nice boat of cash from donating. Nor is there a way to stop someone from blowing a $500 round-trip plane ticket to see Misu for a couple of hours. But why give them the opportunity? If they really wanted to donate out of their heart, they shouldn't need a button to remind them.

In real life, I do not donate to charity for this very reason. The money you donate never ends up in the hands of the people who need it most. Allow me to bring up an anecdote. In the summer, I subjected myself to becoming a Christian Mormon via some missionaries who visited my apartment. This was to mainly improve the ef Supah Preview script; I wanted to hear the diction of religious people in order to get an idea of how to deliver Yuuko's lines perfectly. Many of the lines she says were worded as a direct result of my hearing them repeatedly from church members (having faith, assisting in a confession). But I digress.

Once I got baptized, I learned about tithing, which is "donating" ten percent of your income to the church. I asked the missionaries what they used the money for. They said it was to cover operating expenses of the church. Then I asked if there were public records of the tithing funds. They simply told me to have faith, as usual. After they left, I read up about how a Salt Lake City mega-mall was being funded by the church. It made me realize that all religions are a sham. Once ESP came out, I formally resigned from the church, since I had no further use for them.

In short, donating is all about good intentions, but can be easily twisted into corruption.

Last edited by GipFace; 2007-11-18 at 04:07.
Old 2007-11-18, 04:13
Posts way too much

Quote:
In the summer, I subjected myself to becoming a Christian Mormon via some missionaries who visited my apartment. This was to mainly improve the ef Supah Preview script; I wanted to hear the diction of religious people in order to get an idea of how to deliver Yuuko's lines perfectly. Many of the lines she says were worded as a direct result of my hearing them repeatedly from church members (having faith, assisting in a confession).
Anyone who didn't think GipFace was dedicated to quality, now who looks silly?

Anyway, I don't think all churches are necessarily like that, but you're very right. Wherever there's the potential for abuse there will be abuse.

That said, I still don't have any problem with the presence of said 'Donate' button. By itself I don't feel that it pressures people into donating money (if Misu started posting donation pleas on the front page it would be a different story).

Last edited by Asceai; 2007-11-18 at 04:18.
Closed Thread