gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2007-02-24, 21:17
Unregistered

well. i'm definitely looking forward to a Clannad Movie. But Toei... I hated the Air movie, and I love the Series.. Kyoani should do the movie :(
Well lets see, maybe it's going to be better for me this time.
Old 2007-02-24, 22:58

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

One thing the movie did have going for it was that it was at least cohesive. The series have at many times suffered from "jump-around" syndrome, where the individual scenes don't really mesh together.
Old 2007-02-25, 05:10
Regular

Nevertheless, it was another story altogether. For me, it's like this; if I wanted to read a different story altogether, I'll read a different title altogether. Not some material purporting to be "AIR" when really it was not.

Let's see how this goes. If the reviews come in that the CLANNAD movie was fairly faithful to the original material despite having only 2 hours or so to work with what it's got, I might change my mind about giving this a miss.
Old 2007-02-25, 08:04
velocity7

Ascaloth: It's not going to be faithful. As we said earlier, the game is way, way, WAY too long to fit into a 90 minute timeslot. We'll just have to make do with an alternate telling of CLANNAD, so just view it that way and enjoy it.
Old 2007-02-25, 08:12
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

I remember something someone said a long time ago about the AIR Movie that I think rang really true.
Quote:
Think of the AIR Movie was one of the best AIR fanfictions you ever read, but now only animated.
Old 2007-02-25, 08:44
DG1

Nagisa's scenario has at least 14000 lines (That's Nagisa alone, but you can remove some of the lines like the 3 on 3, her scenario to other girls, etc...). After Story has 15000 Lines, scenes about Yuusuke, Sanae, Akio is not included ... so, that would be 29000 lines (let's say half of those lines are dialogues). I just can't imagine how will they fit it in a 2 (would it really be two hours or just 1 hour 30 mins?) movie and at the same time staying true to the story.
Old 2007-02-25, 12:03
Unregistered

Quote:
Nevertheless, it was another story altogether. For me, it's like this; if I wanted to read a different story altogether, I'll read a different title altogether. Not some material purporting to be "AIR" when really it was not.
Well, yeah. It deviates so much from the original concept that it isn't really AIR.

Nonetheless, I think the movie might be more palatable to a modern mainstream audience. Some of the changes possibly stem from the director's personal tastes, as length doesn't appear to be a great enough stumbling block.

-> minimalistic approach to supernatural themes (at most, gurer'f n ervapneangvba gurzr tbvat ba, vs vg vfa'g zreryl n cnenyyry orgjrra svpgvbany zlgubybtl naq n "erny-yvsr fgbel". In any case, the whole concept is de-emphasized as scenario backdrop/parallelism, with the main Yukito/Misuzu/Haruko drama taking center stage). Most of the metaphysical fluff has been stripped out.

-> character antics gone. MoƩ appeal would be lost on most people, who'd probably find that content rather childish and embarrassing.

-> Potato reduced to a TV cameo. In a modern setting, he would stick out like a sore thumb, wrecking a viewer's suspension of disbelief.

-> Less forced pathos. For instance, they got rid of Zvfhmh'f zrzbel ybff, which was a pretty cheap plot device to develop a mother-daughter relationship.

-> Stronger romance. The original story was kinda choppy, with multiple focuses, so I guess the director picked one to focus on.

Overall, the AIR movie seems remade to suit the tastes of somewhat who disliked the source material. They excised most elements that could be regarded as silly/ridiculous and wrote a more believable, less fantastical story (let's face it, while these supernatural themes are popular in classic Japanese literature and movies, over-the-top usage can seem pretty hokey to most people. Only game writers tend to try things like that, and we all know what most say about even highly-rated game stories). However, what's left is a somewhat shallow and pointless human drama, although it's still quite watchable in its own right.
Old 2007-02-25, 12:25

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Then where do you draw the line? The TV animation series was closer, but if I really wanted to know what happened in the game, I'd go play the game. They still had to do a lot of stitching to get a nonlinear story to fit into a linear format, and had to drop out a lot of connecting scenes/dialogue to get it to fit into 12 episodes. Remember, a branching visual novel and a linear animation series do not have compatible methods of storytelling, and thus the storytelling _can't_ be the same.
Old 2007-02-25, 14:18
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
The TV animation series was closer, but if I really wanted to know what happened in the game, I'd go play the game.
Exactly how I feel. I enjoyed the movie much more because it was a different retelling of AIR. It's more important to be faithful to the spirit of the work sometimes than to be literally faithful to it, and in that sense the movie worked quite well.

I'm excited for this movie not because I can finally see an animated rendition of the game, but so I can see Toei's perspective on what the game means.
Old 2007-02-25, 22:16
velocity7

The other thing to note is that, in all of the endings in CLANNAD, once you were with a girl lbh jrer fghpx jvgu ure (nf va, lbh sryy va ybir jvgu ure naq gung'f gung). You don't get the luxury of saying, "Bu, jr'er sevraqf", yvxr lbh qb va Xnaba. For that reason, there's a good chance that even if Kyoto Animation did CLANNAD, a whole crapload is going to have to be rewritten from scratch.

If there's anything in a Kyoto Animation telling of CLANNAD that will be faithful to the game, it'll only be Antvfn'f Fpubby naq Nsgre Fgbel ebhgrf, and that's all you're going to get. Probably the 幻想世界 stuff too.
Old 2007-02-26, 04:11
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
Then where do you draw the line? The TV animation series was closer, but if I really wanted to know what happened in the game, I'd go play the game. They still had to do a lot of stitching to get a nonlinear story to fit into a linear format, and had to drop out a lot of connecting scenes/dialogue to get it to fit into 12 episodes. Remember, a branching visual novel and a linear animation series do not have compatible methods of storytelling, and thus the storytelling _can't_ be the same.

You think I don't know that? As for where I cut the line.....as long as whoever's doing the adaptation doesn't set out to come up with a almost entirely different storyline altogether, I'm perfectly fine with it. Toei failed on both attempts at a KEY adaptation; I do not deny that AIR the Movie could be a good story in its own right (I could only stand 40 minutes of it, BTW), but the fact was that Yukito wasn't Yukito, and Misuzu wasn't Misuzu. I could probably enjoyed it a lot more had the two of them remained at least recognizable as their original selves......but when you have a Yukito who seemed like a overly-cynical good-for-nothing whiner compared to his far more dignified if still cynical KyoAni counterpart, and a Misuzu who didn't endear herself to the audience as much as her KyoAni counterpart, it's the back-breaking straw for me.

The irony is, if they had used the same concept as they did in Toei AIR with a different setting, a different history, and different characters altogether.....I might have actually watched it to the end, and rated it very highly. As it is, though, it just felt like a ripoff of Maeda's creative work to me.

Sorry, but this is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Old 2007-03-07, 21:56
velocity7

http://www.clannad-movie.jp/

キタァァァァァァァァァァ――――

First thoughts... the line above Nagisa's picture here translates to:
Qvq lbh ybfr fbzrbar vzcbegnag gb lbh?

Based on that line alone, I'd gather...
Gur zbivr jvyy yvxryl gnxr cynpr qhevat Nsgre Fgbel nsgre Antvfn'f qrngu, jvgu Gbzbln gelvat gb gnxr pner bs Hfuvb naq gelvat gb znxr n zvenpyr unccra, jvgu synfuonpxf gb gur Fpubby Yvsr fgbel.

Another possible take could be...
Gbzbln zbfg yvxryl ybfg fbzrbar pybfr gb uvz (znlor GBRV jvyy erjevgr vg fb uvf sngure be zbgure qvrf ng gur ortvaavat bs gur fgbel?) naq Antvfn gevrf gb pbzsbeg uvz qhevat gur Fpubby Yvsr crevbq.
Old 2007-03-08, 03:55
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Yoshi00 Send a message via MSN to Yoshi00

Is it just me or does Nagisa look funky?
Old 2007-03-08, 12:56
Asmadi

I like it.
Old 2007-03-08, 13:14
adun50

I think she looks rather cute. The animation style is looking close to that of the Air Movie.

Also something I photoshopped in 1 hour, because I'm a beginner at it.

Last edited by adun50; 2007-03-08 at 16:49. Reason: Fixed image link