gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2007-08-09, 05:15
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu
Default Planned Migration

Oh, the great ironies of it all. It looks as if I'll be requiring to move the forums back to phpBB ><.

This migration has been planned for a while now, but will be happening sometime relatively soon in the future. The current timeline right now looks like two to three weeks (most likely after the release of phpBB RC5 or Gold).

With that will come with another URL change ><. Where going back over to http://visualnews.net/forums/. I'll place redirects from http://forums.visualnews.net to the new URL, but since there will be a switch of software, doing fancy mod_rewrite redirects wont work so well...

Why does this need to be done?
Couple reasons..., the frontpage has stagnated a bit as of late because of lack of feature updates (ignore content issues for now >.>;;). The reason for this is that it's been frozen since I started working on the new version of VisualNews. One of the goals of version 4.0 is to combined the disjointed sections into a more coherent piece.
This is achieved through similar templating, single sign-on, and more integration between the three portions of the site (frontpage, Gemot, and the new section). To make my cookie life easier, I decided a while back to consolidate everything back under one domain instead of splitting up the sections via subdomains.
The move to phpBB3 also brings in other needed changes, such as converting the text type of the forums from ANSI to UTF-8.

So, thats that. Given that all the single sign-on will be be managed phpBB3, it is the first component that needs to be implemented.

But, I realize that this is a slight pain in the ass for all of you here, so I figured I'd spend a week or so and do a VisualNews Gemot cleanup project after the migration. During the cleanup project, all links pointing to http://forums.visualnews.net and http://forums.haeleth.net will be hunted down and pointed to the correct threads so that all of our internal forum links should work. Hopefully that will be enough of a consolidation that people wont kill me over another small move ^^;;...

Thanks for your understanding.
Old 2007-08-09, 06:43
Local

Good luck with your migration! Your reasons sound logic, so I guess you didn't have much choice.
I'd still prefer VBulletin though, for me it's just the best forum out there (and aren't you a bit sad of the high price you paid for it?)
Old 2007-08-09, 06:48
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

There are quite a few features in vBulletin that I did enjoy. It's control panel is nice, and its available plugins are excellent.

The big killer for me in vBulletin was the utter lack of good RSS syndication tools from the forums. Maybe I got spoiled by bbPress, but I would like my forums to have syndication on at least a decent level instead of the poor implementation that vBulletin has. (And when I last checked, there wasnt any great plugins to fix that issue =3).

I dont mind price. It was fun getting to play with vBulletin and I think you can sell your license second hand, though don't quote me on that =D.
Old 2007-08-09, 08:00
Local

No need, I have one myself xD.
Well, fortunately there was a good plugin for joomla, so vbulletin was the right choice.
Keep an eye on your data base, I've read so often about "shot" user data base.
But guess you have a few backups, it's not like you are a noob on this ;)
Old 2007-08-09, 08:02
mr.aufziehvogel

@misu: is the migration already going on?

because visualnews.net is kinda ULTRASLOW for me. forum is working correct.
Old 2007-08-09, 08:10
Addicted

No, its not, another part of the migration is moving the front page to the primary server (what the Gemot is on), instead of the downloads server (Dreamhost), so performance on all actual pages are always working and always responsive.
(aka: Were moving the frontpage from shared hosting to dedicated =D)
Old 2007-08-09, 08:12
mr.aufziehvogel

strange. because yesterday the main site was working good and now it takes like 10 seconds only to "find" the page and 20 to load it.

forums.visualnews.net is here in 1 sec ;)

btw. it can't be my connection or routing because it was fast till yesterday. i have 8mbit cable con, so there should be no speed problem.

http://anonymouse.org is giving me a "timeout" sometimes when i try connection to visualnews.net. so that's a sign that there is something wrong with the server or the eu/us connections and since the forum.visualnews.net is working fine, it has to be the "server" :)

Last edited by mr.aufziehvogel; 2007-08-09 at 08:32.
Old 2007-08-15, 02:20
Obsessive

We're moving?

Yowza.

Personally, I'd advise against a move back to phpbb (security issues and whatnot...) but eh. You're the boss.
Kunisaki Yukito is a flooging pervert. He makes a mother finger her daughter to get off his sick kicks, have two sisters paizuri his cock while slobbering all over it, and he raped another in the rain. From Behind. I bet he assreamed the ghostly loli too.
Old 2007-08-16, 21:08

Hmm...good luck...
Old 2007-08-17, 04:13
Visitor

Send a message via ICQ to Icez Send a message via AIM to Icez Send a message via MSN to Icez Send a message via Yahoo to Icez

Sounds good :)
Old 2007-08-18, 21:20
Local

Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman

I wouldn't worry about the security holes too much, I've only heard of a very small number of phpBB based forums actually getting hacked..