gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #376  
Old 2010-09-08, 10:44
Cicero Cicero is offline
Visitor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuichi View Post
MangaGamer's Koihime Musou release will be unvoiced....unless it sells over 2000 copies.

http://mangagamer.wordpress.com/2010...ent-with-hope/

Kind of an interesting strategy...
Koihme Musou may end up being a "make or break" game for MangaGamer. If they don't hit that 2,000 mark it will be an opportunity for the naysayers to say "I told you so." If that is the case then the future may be very grim for them. On the other hand if they are able to get past 2,000 or beyond it may be an opportunity for further growth.

I think there is a lot riding for them on the sales of this game. I'm not going to say they are finished if this game doesn't sell well but they could be in a lot of trouble.
  #377  
Old 2010-09-08, 10:48
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuichi View Post
People buy unvoiced games. Fate/stay night and Clannad come to mind. Also Higurashi seems to have done reasonably for MG and it is unvoiced (and marked up significantly from the JP price...)
Sure, but what I meant was this: if they think that people will swallow that crap about them releasing voiced version if the game sells over 2000 copies, they're either incredibly dumb or incredibly sly. I mean, isn't it obvious that they'll never manage to sell that many? AFAIK, the games you mentioned didn't have voices in the first place. It's one thing if a game was originally unvoiced, but it's different if the voices were cut out because some company *COUGH* MG *COUGH* couldn't afford to pay royalties. And now this company blames some other company *COUGH* Nexton *COUGH* for their own impotence and shamelessly trying to convince people to buy their crippled product.
  #378  
Old 2010-09-08, 11:00
Cosign's Avatar
Cosign Cosign is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 27
Default

It's the same thing as always. The companies just want to reap but never sow. They want the fanbase to buy but they don't develop the fanbase. It's completely Japanese. These games are Japanese games, international market is too hard. If you want to play, come fly to Japan and play. We have no interest in overseas sales apart from the cheque that arrives at our doorstep.

And 2000 is too much.
  #379  
Old 2010-09-08, 11:06
NTX's Avatar
NTX NTX is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujifruit View Post
Means I'm buying several copys then in the future buy another one for voices. >_>
It says the voices'll come in a patch, so I doubt you'll have to rebuy the voiced version.

That said, I'm sure someone'll make an unofficial voice patch by ripping them from the original game if this doesn't go through for MG. Not saying it's a good thing, just seems inevitable.

Last edited by NTX; 2010-09-08 at 11:10.
  #380  
Old 2010-09-08, 11:09
fujifruit's Avatar
fujifruit fujifruit is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTX View Post
It says the voices'll come in a patch, so I doubt you'll have to rebuy the voiced version.

That said, I'm sure someone'll make an unofficial voice patch by ripping them from the original game if this doesn't go through for MG. Not saying it's a good thing, just seems inevitable.
Ahh I see..Thanks for clearing it up man : D
__________________
Air freshener.
  #381  
Old 2010-09-08, 11:19
Moogy's Avatar
Moogy Moogy is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: #tlwiki@irc.rizon.net
Posts: 430
Send a message via AIM to Moogy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
some company *COUGH* MG *COUGH* couldn't afford to pay royalties. And now this company blames some other company *COUGH* Nexton *COUGH* for their own impotence and shamelessly trying to convince people to buy their crippled product.
I don't think this is really being fair. It's not right to call people "impotent" because they don't have enough money to license some voices, geez.

Now, I agree that the 2000 units number is fairly ridiculous and, barring an act of god, will not be reached, but I don't think the situation itself is really something you can blame either company for.

It's simply the reality of the market. Licensing and releasing eroge in English is not cost-efficient and, at this rate, never will be. Not being able to afford to license the voices is a sad inevitability, not some conscious decision on either side's end to screw over the customers or whatever.

That said, I'm not going to blame anyone for being unwilling to buy the game unvoiced. Koihime is a game that focuses on the moe and sex, and voices generally tend to be a pretty big part of the appeal for those sort of things.

Really, it's just a depressing situation all-around. I'm beginning to believe that there simply is no market for translated eroge period, but I suppose that's a discussion for another day.
  #382  
Old 2010-09-08, 11:44
KaioShin KaioShin is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 69
Default

There is always the possibility that someone creates a patch that will add the voices from the Japanese version to the English one. I can't tell if it would be good or bad for the sales. On one hand it would take away the motivation for some people to buy it after all, but it might also get people who'd buy it but only if voices are available.
  #383  
Old 2010-09-08, 11:51
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaioShin View Post
There is always the possibility that someone creates a patch that will add the voices from the Japanese version to the English one. I can't tell if it would be good or bad for the sales. On one hand it would take away the motivation for some people to buy it after all, but it might also get people who'd buy it but only if voices are available.
It would be a good thing especially if it were bad for sales, because it would make companies to think twice before pulling that stunt again. Otherwise the situation will never change.
  #384  
Old 2010-09-08, 12:06
jyuichi's Avatar
jyuichi jyuichi is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sure, but what I meant was this: if they think that people will swallow that crap about them releasing voiced version if the game sells over 2000 copies, they're either incredibly dumb or incredibly sly. I mean, isn't it obvious that they'll never manage to sell that many? AFAIK, the games you mentioned didn't have voices in the first place. It's one thing if a game was originally unvoiced, but it's different if the voices were cut out because some company *COUGH* MG *COUGH* couldn't afford to pay royalties. And now this company blames some other company *COUGH* Nexton *COUGH* for their own impotence and shamelessly trying to convince people to buy their crippled product.
MangaGamer is mostly controlled by Japanese companies is it not? As the blog post said, Nexton funded the translation so Nexton gets to make the decisions. MG is not "blaming" Nexton, this is just how their business model works.
__________________
Twitter: @jyuichi
  #385  
Old 2010-09-08, 14:33
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It would be a good thing especially if it were bad for sales, because it would make companies to think twice before pulling that stunt again. Otherwise the situation will never change.
If by "pulling that stunt" you mean "publishing titles that aren't nukige in English" and by "the situation" you mean "the situation where we are finally getting games that aren't reprehensible garbage", I must concur.
  #386  
Old 2010-09-08, 16:03
Asceai's Avatar
Asceai Asceai is offline
Posts way too much
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,413
Default