gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-06-01, 11:00
Local

Exclamation The Devil on G-String: Release Thread

http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/G...20Patch%5d.rar
Quote:
So there you have it. Patch translates all dialogue from the first chapter of the game. There are some technical nuances that need to be addressed, but the above patch is fully functional. This is for people who can’t wait. Sometime within the next week, week and a half, we’ll re-release it with critical image edits, and with a new font. Enjoy~.
this is great, i played a little yesterday, and it seems good, i hope it gets fully translated!
so discuss
Old 2009-06-01, 15:26
Posts way too much

oh my

i'm a bit scared to play it after what accany was saying about the translation, but jolly good stuff
Old 2009-06-01, 15:31
Local

what sayed accany?
he's one of the TL checkers...
Old 2009-06-01, 15:37
Posts way too much

i know that =P
Old 2009-06-01, 16:37
Unregistered

I can't help but feel like this translation came out of the blue.

The group putting it out has opted for almost complete transparency. We don't know who is translating, if there is a group behind it, how we can check if it's still alive; it's like someone just quietly dumped it on us with no warning and no way of even knowing it's still being worked. The translator/group hasn't even issued a message besides something that basically says "here it is, have fun".

Now I don't think that a group has to update frequently or butter up the community with high expectations, but I just feel like they could have a little more courtesy. Even the current translation projects that haven't had progress in a long time, like the KGNE project or the many dead ones on TLWiki, at least have some kind of webpage or main person behind it. Or try taking a page from AstCd2 by having a stagnant webpage that is only updated upon completion of the project.

Please don't just leave us hanging like this.
Old 2009-06-01, 17:09
Unregistered

Disregard that last post. Didn't realize this existed.

http://nekorelated.wordpress.com/
Old 2009-06-01, 17:14
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I can't help but feel like this translation came out of the blue.

The group putting it out has opted for almost complete transparency. We don't know who is translating, if there is a group behind it, how we can check if it's still alive; it's like someone just quietly dumped it on us with no warning and no way of even knowing it's still being worked. The translator/group hasn't even issued a message besides something that basically says "here it is, have fun".

Now I don't think that a group has to update frequently or butter up the community with high expectations, but I just feel like they could have a little more courtesy. Even the current translation projects that haven't had progress in a long time, like the KGNE project or the many dead ones on TLWiki, at least have some kind of webpage or main person behind it. Or try taking a page from AstCd2 by having a stagnant webpage that is only updated upon completion of the project.

Please don't just leave us hanging like this.
[STRIKEOUT]you can just don't play it first if you are worried you know... you can hope that a full version eventually comes out and then you can start.

courtesy is having a place on the internet where translators must post updates in order for 'fans' to feel like they are not left hanging? anyhow... you can google where the patch was dropped and try to post there since there would be more chances of the people from the translation group replying[/STRIEKOUT]

erm... google .... goooooooooooooooogle ... http://nekorelated.wordpress.com/
shame on you
Old 2009-06-01, 17:49
Posts way too much

i really don't know about japanese->chinese->english

i mean, aren't japanese and chinese pretty different languages?

that said, at least the two editors know Japanese, which is better than the editing process for many translations!
Old 2009-06-01, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post

that said, at least the two editors know Japanese, which is better than the editing process for many translations!
I think it turned out all right I guess. We aren't trying to win best translator records or anything like that anyway.

And asceai, you really should help me with tling asukimi. It's too effing long for just me....
Old 2009-06-03, 06:58
Visitor

Any idea if this thing works with the demo?
Old 2009-06-05, 00:29
Unregistered

Default chinese guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post

difference is mainly in grammar, the Japanese have an insane number of tiers for politeness/formality (in my opinion, atleast)

I can get by reading (some) Japanese manga, while only knowing Chinese (English<->Japanese + Chinese<->Japanese dictionaries at hand), so long as there's (much) more kanji than anything else.

In terms of translating, i'd have to say chinese<->japanese is much easier than english<->either Chinese or Japanese, by simple virture of a greater ability in retaining meaning when doing Chinese<->Japanese, and many statements sometimes only need <50% of the text edited in order for it to become grammatically correct Chinese.
Old 2009-06-05, 04:32
Obsessive

Well aint Chinese grammar completelly different? (It's even different type, I mean Chinese is analytic; Japanese is agglutinating).
Old 2009-06-05, 06:24
Unregistered

uh...didn't i say that?

"difference is mainly in grammar"
Old 2009-06-05, 10:03
Obsessive

But that is huge difference, I mean, sure, you get meaning of words, because kanjis (except few different things which got shifted meaning or just differently simplified) but is that enough for translation? If I wrote you: I game to wonder can you make sentence out of it?
Just saying my few cents.
Old 2009-06-05, 11:41
Regular

This argument only means anything if you're assuming the Jap to Chinese translators are complete morons who don't understand Japanese grammar and decided to translate anyways.

Grammatically speaking, Japanese isn't anymore similar to English than it is to Chinese, so the implication that "since Japanese and Chinese are different, any project that comes as a result of this must be low quality" is complete baseless bullshit.

Besides as already mentioned, they have two editors experienced with Jap and J->E translations, they'd probably speak up if there was anything overly deviating from the original script.