gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-11-24, 13:20
Visitor

Default Good Beginner Visual Novels

This thread is somewhat similar to this one, but since I don't want to hijack his thread, I figured I'd start my own. Back in the summer, I watched the Air anime and found out that it had a game. I was pretty surprised, since I'd never heard of a "visual novel" before, and looked into it, since I'm an avid reader. Since then I've managed to acquire and play Clannad and One: Kagayaku Kisetsu e, and found both to be touching, witty and interesting. And so, I'd like to ask for your suggestions on where to go from here, as this forum seems to be the most knowledgeable when it comes to visual novels. For the record, I can only play games that have english translations out there, since though I'm learning Japanese, it's mediocre at best for now.
Old 2008-11-24, 13:29
Unregistered

Narcissu and True Remembrance, for sure. Only warning is that they may raise your expectations high for other novels you encounter.

http://narcissu.insani.org/
http://trueremembrance.insani.org/

And eventually Soudentou no Mimei whenever it's localized (same author as TR). I want to think that it's what the teaser on Insani's page refers to, but who knows.

Also check out some of the al|together novels. A good number of them are excellent.

ttp://altogether.insani.org/
Old 2008-11-24, 13:59
Posts way too much

Commercial visual novels not yet mentioned that are available in English and that I think are pretty good:

Fate/stay Night
Tsukihime
Ever17
Phantom of Inferno (beware, censored and only available in shitty DVDPG - might not be worth it)
Wanko to Kurasou
Yume Miru Kusuri
Kana: Imouto
Old 2008-11-24, 18:03
Visitor

Thanks for the quick suggestions, guys. I'll start with Fate/Stay Night and True Remembrance, since I think I've heard of them before. It's nice to see how many are available in English, I wasn't expecting this good a turnout.
Old 2008-11-24, 18:28
Regular

Don't forget Crescendo! It's one of the better commerically translated ones out there.

Glad to see Yume Miru Kusuri is already mentioned ^-^b