gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2006-07-29, 08:36
vampiresaru vampiresaru is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 99
Default a couple of language questions.

I preface this with saying my knowledge of Japanese is very very low so don't kill me for my stupidity yet T_T


I was at the Japanese market this morning and held the door open for a nice old woman and her husband. She said doumo arigatou gozaimasu and my books have always said that douitashimashite is basically the equivalent of "you're welcome" or "it was nothing" so I said it without any hesitation... but the she stopped dead in her tracks for a few seconds and and gave me the strangest look I have ever seen. It could just be that she was suprised I knew a little Japanese but just in case was that perhaps an improper thing to say in that situation?

A little later when I was stock piling natto I heard someone else say "natto futari" and the person with her grabbed 2 of the natto multipacks they had. My question here is I thought "futari" was a counter for 2 people. I've looked it up a bit on google and I can only come up with the counter for people... are there other uses for that counter I cannot find?

thanks for any insights you can give!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2006-07-29, 08:44
inuyasha9854
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As to the former, I can't help.

The latter, I can only give you a guess: Perhaps the translation would be, 'natto for two people' - with of course, the 'for' not directly translating and being implied. It would make sense depending on how big the packages are.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2006-07-29, 08:53
K
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Or it could be slangy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2006-07-29, 09:38
inuyasha9854
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Remind me to invest in a slang dictionary someday....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2006-07-29, 10:24
vampiresaru vampiresaru is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 99
Default

hehehe they were elderly people and when you said slang the first thought i had was the one time my grandma called me dawg ^_^

as for the "for two people" it seems to make perfect sense to me there was 2 and I tend to eat 1 of the 3 packs a week so I can see it. I always try to over analyze the simplest of things when I am working with japanese! -_-
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2006-07-29, 10:55
Talbain's Avatar
Talbain Talbain is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a field, eating grass.
Posts: 209
Send a message via AIM to Talbain
Default

It's off the hook!
__________________
Runaway.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2006-07-29, 12:16
Shii's Avatar
Shii Shii is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cloudy Water
Posts: 497
Send a message via ICQ to Shii
Default Re: a couple of language questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiresaru
It could just be that she was suprised I knew a little Japanese but just in case was that perhaps an improper thing to say in that situation?
It's because you're a gaijin. She was surprised, not annoyed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2006-07-29, 12:44
Talbain's Avatar
Talbain Talbain is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a field, eating grass.
Posts: 209
Send a message via AIM to Talbain
Default

<sarcasm?>
You have to remember, people outside of Japan do not speak Japanese.
</sarcasm>
__________________
Runaway.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2006-07-30, 03:50
roxybudgy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

lol, I had a similar experience. I went to Japan as an exchange student, and I was asked to help another Japanese student out with English. Because it wasn't the first time I met her, I said "doozo yoroshiku" rather than "hajimemashite" when greeting her, I didn't know what else to say. She then looked suprised and maybe embarassed or something, and then she said the same thing back.

I guess the Japanese really do find it weird when non-Japanese know Japanese, even if you say things wrong. I mean, they were suprised that I could write kanji pretty well, but that's because I'm Chinese.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2006-07-30, 04:03
Carl Carl is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 551
Send a message via MSN to Carl
Default

It can be fun to throw off Japanese people by starting a coversation with ういっす! or ちわっす!, or by replying to questions with an inqusitive なになに?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2006-07-31, 21:47
omgwtflolz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Eh, it isn't just the Japanese.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2006-07-31, 23:34
GreatSaintLouis GreatSaintLouis is offline
Addicted
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 807
Default

But that guy's from California, which explains everything.

They don't quite speak English there either, obviously.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2006-08-01, 02:19
Haeleth's Avatar
Haeleth Haeleth is offline
Ex-boss
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: England
Posts: 2,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
They don't quite speak English there either, obviously.
Not even close to it.

In fact, the only place in America where they even nearly speak English is, I'm led to believe, Boston.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2006-08-01, 03:54
ChocoEd ChocoEd is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: California, USA
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
In fact, the only place in America where they even nearly speak English is, I'm led to believe, Boston.
Hate to burst your bubble...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2006-08-01, 03:58
JRaiKetchum's Avatar
JRaiKetchum JRaiKetchum is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
They don't quite speak English there either, obviously.
Not even close to it.

In fact, the only place in America where they even nearly speak English is, I'm led to believe, Boston.
Really? I always thought it was in the Maryland/Virginia area where you HAVE to be prim and proper to be in the government. But then again...

You want to hear some fun perversion of the English language, listen to rednecks from my region. XD We have practically our own language so to speak! And I'm guilty of using it from time to time ^^;

Ja, ne
-Rai
__________________
Breathe Deep.
The answers are all around you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Japanese Language Proficiency Test DragonmasterX General Discussion 13 2022-09-04 04:16
Magical Language Lyrical LISP (English) Zoom909 Production & Help 2 2011-08-12 06:27
Kirikiri language problem(local language) YUU1999 Technical Issues 1 2010-04-27 22:28
Translate CLANNAD_FV into another language? midishero Technical Issues 4 2009-06-22 04:00
Information on language patch creation DaisukeTS Technical Issues 24 2005-10-06 11:14


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.