gemot encubed

gemot encubed (http://forums.novelnews.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.novelnews.net/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   General News (http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=7128)

zalas 2006-05-24 22:53

A "preorder" page for Utawarerumono PS2 is up:
http://www.aquaplus.co.jp/utayoyaku/

Apparently, if you there are 1000 preorders, everyone gets a clear file, and the prizes get better if more people preorder. Everyone has to get their preorders in by June 30th. Meanwhile... I'm still trying to find where I can preorder it. orz

Haeleth 2006-05-25 04:25

Tut, tut... it's still the 25th, but naughty Himeya has already shipped my copy of Scarlett.

So, like, it's only going to be a month or two before I get my hands on it... >_<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanatuha
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
Is Shizuka taking that seal clubbing?

No. That's narration.

GSLは下らないしゃれが好きだそうです。「seal clubbing」=アザラシを撲殺する事。

Quote:

ムツゴロウ ,who is a unequaled adorer of animals, …. he appears the game I've chosen for al|togheter, too... It's tricky to translate local celebrity with certain backdrop.

You could replace him with an English cultural reference. What about Doctor Doolittle?

Nanatuha 2006-05-25 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haeleth

Why!? My eyes told to me "seal grabbing" seriously. "掴んでるアザラシについて何か言ってるの?"かと本気で勘違いした。
すまぬGreatSaintLouis… orz

Quote:

Quote:

ムツゴロウ ,who is a unequaled adorer of animals, …. he appears the game I've chosen for al|togheter, too... It's tricky to translate local celebrity with certain backdrop.

You could replace him with an English cultural reference. What about Doctor Doolittle?

Or David Attenborough? However on the other hand I have a feeling that I 'd like to leave original expression as long as I can. Hmm...

l|ammamama 2006-05-25 10:42

Quote:

Quote:

Why!? My eyes told to me "seal grabbing" seriously. "掴んでるアザラシについて何か言ってるの?"かと本気で勘違いした。
すまぬGreatSaintLouis… orz

And here I thought they were going out for a night on the town...

GreatSaintLouis 2006-05-25 13:33

Quote:

Tut, tut... it's still the 25th, but naughty Himeya has already shipped my copy of Scarlett.

So, like, it's only going to be a month or two before I get my hands on it... >_<

Is shipping that slow to the UK, or did you just go with the cheap shipping option?

Be glad your copy has shipped--I've been camped out at the computer every spare moment I get waiting for my email from Palet to arrive with my shipping info so I can start obsessively camping out on the EMS tracking site.

Haeleth 2006-05-25 15:14

Quote:

Is shipping that slow to the UK, or did you just go with the cheap shipping option?

Have you heard of Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs?

They're like the IRS and the CBP rolled into one massive bureaucratic entity, whose sole purpose in life is to wait for me to order stuff from Japan, then grab it as soon as it enters the country and hold it hostage for a myriad extortionate taxes.

2006-05-25 16:57

you infected me with the scarlett virus haeleth ;)

i can't wait to get that game...

Carl 2006-05-25 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.aufziehvogel
you infected me with the scarlett virus haeleth ;)

Looks at Haeleth uncomfortably

2006-05-26 01:13

lol

that is not completely what I meant.. :P

Carl 2006-05-26 01:19

"Completely"...?

2006-05-26 01:53

sorry for some errors...i just woke up :P

Carl 2006-05-26 02:01

No need to appologise. You are convalescing from a disease, afterall.

GreatSaintLouis 2006-05-26 11:32

来ている━━━(゚∀゚)━━━ッ!!
I received my shipping notice last night for Scarlett; now all I have to do is check EMS tracking hourly to take note of every change in transit.

Quote:

Have you heard of Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs?

They're like the IRS and the CBP rolled into one massive bureaucratic entity

That sounds truly horrible. You have my sympathies, and if it makes you feel better, while the US Postal Service takes sadistic pleasure in squashing packages.

Haeleth 2006-05-26 12:07

Quote:

now all I have to do is check EMS tracking hourly to take note of every change in transit.

26-05-2006     01:44     TOKYO INT                  Left origin country
25-05-2006 18:29 Delivery Agent - JAPAN Collected from customer

...thrilling.

I made the RSS joke last time, didn't I?

2006-05-26 13:04

Hey, the USPS isn't that bad, so far, my imports have been fine, and they all come in through JFK in NYC!

Celsius 2006-05-26 23:23

2 New Visual Novels released on the same day in NA

2 new visual novel titles just got released in North America on the same day. Even more amazing is one is Bishounen and the other Bishoujo!

Animamundi: Dark Alchemist
Doushin - Same Heart

sjoben 2006-05-27 00:07

I guess I win the Scarlett race:

http://www.japanska.se/img/scarlett.jpg

And yes, as I know everyone is desperate for any information about this, I can confirm that with some help from wine it does indeed work in Linux. ;)

Now, let's get back to playing...

GreatSaintLouis 2006-05-27 00:21

Sweet, glad to see it's in someone's hands! Looks like the first print comes with a decent amount of goodies, too. I can hardly wait!

Quote:

26-05-2006 01:44 TOKYO INT Left origin country
25-05-2006 18:29 Delivery Agent - JAPAN Collected from customer

...thrilling.

I made the RSS joke last time, didn't I?

Well, maybe YOU'RE jaded by updates every eight hours or so, but I am rivited to my seat in fascination every time I see an item go from "En route" to "Dispatch from outward office of exchange."

But actually, despite how banal it sounds, I really try and keep track of the date it's set to arrive here so I can arrainge to be home to sign for the package. It's pretty inconvenient having to head down to the post office and pick the thing up if I miss the postman, and I'd just rather not bother with it. Besides, there's a greater chance of squashing if I let them take it back!

Billhead 2006-05-27 00:41

All the USPS bashing...
Have you ever seen what UPS does?

Haeleth 2006-05-27 02:13

Quote:

But actually, despite how banal it sounds, I really try and keep track of the date it's set to arrive here so I can arrainge to be home to sign for the package.

What, they deliver it to your door? ParcelForce drivers aren't allowed to take cash on delivery any more due to security concerns, so I have to drive 20 miles to the local depot to pay the customs charges (and the $25 "handling fee" they tack on for their own pockets)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjoben
I can confirm that with some help from wine it does indeed work in Linux. ;)

I generally find a stiff brandy helps even more.

BTW, what's in the tin?

sjoben 2006-05-27 02:35

Quote:

BTW, what's in the tin?

That's a good question. The front says "ねこのおでん屋、おでんちゃん", which had me thinking it was cat food. =) On side it says "品名:おでん(野菜スープ味)ドライパック" and lists a bunch of ingredients including こんにゃく、黒はんぺん、ちくわ、スジ(練り製品)、豚モツ、昆布、うずら卵、ミネラルウォーター、海洋深層水、野菜スープ, and after that I still have no clue what it actually is. The fact that it contains both deep sea water and mineral water has me wondering how much of a "ドライパック" it really is. I have not dared open it yet lest I feel forced to actually eat it.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be included in the pre-order campaign or if AsoBitCity where I bought my copy threw it in. I actually hadn't pre-ordered so I guess I was lucky they still had some of the pre-order stuff left when I got there.

AstCd2 2006-05-27 02:41

All is revealed:
http://www.akibablog.net/archives/2006/05/post_503.html
http://www.akibablog.net/archives/2006/05/post_531.html

Haeleth 2006-05-27 02:53

アソビットのショップ特典か。残念・・・・・・がっかり

sjoben 2006-05-27 03:23

I still don't get what it is though... Shaking the tin I can feel something moving inside, which has me a bit worried. The small fork attached and the "dry-pack" title implies it's something you eat, not drink. But why make something you eat taste like vegetable soup? And why put deap ocean water in it and then make it a "dry-pack"? It just makes no sense...

AstCd2 2006-05-27 03:31

http://akiba.ascii24.com/akiba/news/...ages795194.jpg

Appetizing.

http://akiba.ascii24.com/akiba/news/...59741-000.html
Let us know how it tastes (if you feel brave enough =P)

sjoben 2006-05-27 03:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstCd2
Let us know how it tastes (if you feel brave enough =P)

ummm... yeah, that looks tasty. However, I... I just had dinner, right, so I'm not really hungry now... Sorry, it'll have to wait... But I'll make sure to try it later, of course........ (-.-;)

(I think I'm gonna have nightmares of those big pieces of こんにゃく crawling out of the can and eating me in my sleep if I leave the can in my room tonight.)

GreatSaintLouis 2006-05-27 05:50

That's... uh... kindof scary.

Quote:

What, they deliver it to your door? ParcelForce drivers aren't allowed to take cash on delivery any more due to security concerns, so I have to drive 20 miles to the local depot to pay the customs charges (and the $25 "handling fee" they tack on for their own pockets)...

With smaller packages like this, EMS parcels are simply handed to mail carriers to deliver on their usual route, unless of course it's something that customs decides you owe money for, in which case you get a notice stating you need to pick the item up at the post office. I've not once had to pay customs, even on some games I've ordered previously that were declared around $80, so I'm not entirely sure at what point they force you to pay.
The difference between regular parcels and EMS is that you have to sign for the package on the carrier's route because, well, it's insured. I just don't like the idea that I would have to go down to the post office to pick up something that could have been delivered to my door, so I try and be there when the carrier arrives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billhead
All the USPS bashing...

You mean aside from charge exorbitant rates for some of the slowest shipping anywhere in the country? I avoid them like the plague because they're such a ripoff, so I'm not sure about what they do to packages. I just know I've had enough boxes squashed or WEDGED inside my mailbox, nearly impossible to remove, because the letter carrier didn't feel like going to my door to make the hand-off that I feel absolutely justified in complaining about USPS' frivolous attitude towards package handling.

Carl 2006-05-27 13:02

Why. Just why.

AstCd2 2006-05-27 16:50

Two blurry pages from this month's G's detailing the designs for the new Kanon TV series.
Page 1
Page 2

2006-05-27 17:20

Quote:

That's... uh... kindof scary.

Quote:

With smaller packages like this, EMS parcels are simply handed to mail carriers to deliver on their usual route, unless of course it's something that customs decides you owe money for, in which case you get a notice stating you need to pick the item up at the post office. I've not once had to pay customs, even on some games I've ordered previously that were declared around $80, so I'm not entirely sure at what point they force you to pay.
The difference between regular parcels and EMS is that you have to sign for the package on the carrier's route because, well, it's insured. I just don't like the idea that I would have to go down to the post office to pick up something that could have been delivered to my door, so I try and be there when the carrier arrives.

Unless of course, you sleep through their phone calls, or it arrives at the regional office after the local office completed their route. Not a big deal, 7 minutes to local office, 15 to regional (and the regional is open to 7pm, so) - As far as customs, I usually get a little $0.64 charge that appears after I get my things, labelled International POS Fee. Also, you had an $80 game come in with no customs fee? How about my $110 copy of ONE with no fee (other than that Int'l POS fee)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billhead
All the USPS bashing...

You mean aside from charge exorbitant rates for some of the slowest shipping anywhere in the country? I avoid them like the plague because they're such a ripoff, so I'm not sure about what they do to packages. I just know I've had enough boxes squashed or WEDGED inside my mailbox, nearly impossible to remove, because the letter carrier didn't feel like going to my door to make the hand-off that I feel absolutely justified in complaining about USPS' frivolous attitude towards package handling.

Around here, of all things, UPS is 1) the cheapest, 2) usually the fastest, 3) is willing to deliver early when it arrives locally early.

FedEx is the bane of my existence - almost every packages requires a signature, if it's in the regional office early, they make you wait. And for FedEx/UPS, the regional offices are 45 minute drives anyway I go.

Billhead 2006-05-27 17:28

There is almost allways somebody at my house, so I never have to worry about driving out to them to pickup the packages.
From both FedEx and UPS, I have recieved packages that got so crushed that chunks of the boxes were gone.

AstCd2 2006-05-27 21:14

This month's G's article on Utawarerumono (TV series/PS2 release).
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

Asmadi 2006-05-28 16:24

XD

Mine came in yesterday! Paletwebが大好き!

AstCd2 2006-05-29 20:33

http://pie.bbspink.com/test/read.cgi/leaf/1146026473/
There's been some news on 2ch (of questionable authenticity, as always) about Kanon PSP featuring a new voice track for Yuuichi.

DragonmasterX 2006-05-29 21:26

How come the URL you linked is a 2ch thread, but there is no "2ch" in the URL itself? I recall every 2ch thread I've ever browsed through in the past had "2ch" in the URL.

AstCd2 2006-05-29 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonmasterX
How come the URL you linked is a 2ch thread, but there is no "2ch" in the URL itself? I recall every 2ch thread I've ever browsed through in the past had "2ch" in the URL.

The 2ch adult boards (including Hakagi) are run off 'pinkCH', whose servers appear to be located in the USA rather than Japan for legal reasons.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/PINK%E3...81%AD%E3%82%8B

AstCd2 2006-05-29 22:59

http://www.otsu.dj/image/ksla-0023_poster.jpg

Otsu remix album to be released next month.

Billhead 2006-05-29 23:13

No... more of the forbidden hand gesture...

Carl 2006-05-30 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstCd2
http://www.otsu.dj/image/ksla-0023_poster.jpg

Otsu remix album to be released next month.

I need to get me a copy of the Otsu vinyl release of the AIR songs (OTSU アナログコレクターズエディション), but the price has inflated insanely over the last month.

Damn crazy Key fans...

AstCd2 2006-05-30 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I need to get me a copy of the Otsu vinyl release of the AIR songs (OTSU アナログコレクターズエディション), but the price has inflated insanely over the last month.

Damn crazy Key fans...

I'll bet the limited run of 500 copies isn't helping.

http://pie.bbspink.com/test/read.cgi/leaf/1148893167/
For those of you playing at home, 26,250 yen = $1,121.89 USD
Σ(゚д゚;) ヌオォ!?