gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Production & Help

Production & Help For discussions regarding production aspects, especially localisation, of visual novels and related games.

Old 2007-06-23, 15:56
Rasqual Twilight

Default RLVM

RLVM
RealLive Virtual Machine

Latest version: RLVM 0.6.3 (16 Aug 2009)

Official Site
Add Subscription to this thread!
Screenshots

RLVM is an open-source project based on jagarl's xclannad and H�le�es libreallive which aims at providing a free implementation of VisualArt's RealLive interpreter.
One of its advantages is the fact it is written in portable C++ (Boost) and relies on the multimedia library SDL, allowing it to run on many platforms, such as MacOSX, or various flavors of Linux.

The project is licensed under the GNU GPLv3 or later.

From the official website:
Quote:
rlvm is an open source implementation of the RealLive virtual machine for Linux and OSX. RealLive is a game engine used in Japan to write visual novels (...)
Currently, I'm working on getting three games working: Kanon Standard Edition, CLANNAD and Planetarian. The newer Full Voice Edition of CLANNAD also works and plays character voices correctly. rlvm can run NDT'S Kanon Patch.

Here are info pertaining to the latest release:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBlue
v0.6.3:
Only new feature is fullscreen support. All other changes are non-user visible.

v0.6.2:
Bugfix release.

* Fixes regression where G00 animations weren’t being played (Seen in Planetarian.)
* Fixes regression where Yumemi’s face in the final scene in Planetarian was being drawn twice because of poor clip rect handling.
* Support for English patches compiled with debugging symbols stripped.
* Temporarily disables scrollback due to crash that will be invasive to fix.

v0.6.1:
Contains initial support for the CLANNAD English patch, available at the CLANNAD translation wiki’s Assembla page. This is a minor update and only fixes obvious problems early in the game (i.e. crashing at startup). Despite this disclaimer, I haven’t gotten a crash with the SEENr28_FV.TXT currently up on Assembla (though I have only played about half an hour in). Note: The recently posted SEENr30_FV.TXT doesn’t work; I am not sure why.
See STATUS.TXT for more details, in particular regarding games support.

A guide for installing the NDT translation patch for use with rlvm was written by Eliott Elliot.

* Linux Ubuntu packages:
Downloads:
Ubuntu (Jaunty) package for x86 machines (version 0.06.3)
Ubuntu (Jaunty) package for amd64 machines (version 0.06.3)
* MacOSX packages:
Downloads:
Mac OSX Application (Universal Binary) (version 0.06.3)
* Source code:

Source code (0.06.3, GPLv3)
Git Repository (development)
Repository on github
Spoiler

Last edited by Rasqual Twilight; 2009-08-17 at 11:24.
Old 2007-06-23, 17:00

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

I wonder what he's using Boost for...

EDIT: Ah, I guess it's for some nice memory management stuff. I hope it doesn't make the porting/maintaining too difficult.

Last edited by zalas; 2007-06-23 at 17:04.
Old 2007-06-23, 17:44
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Starchanchan Send a message via MSN to Starchanchan

Oooooh, I like the sound of this. o_o
Old 2007-09-27, 13:30
Rasqual Twilight

Default A little update on this project.

There has been progress on making RealLive games work. The original goal was focusing on making Kanon play, but news from the CLANNAD translation project have been a good motivation.

Quote:
I've made steady progress towards a non-sound, non-movie playing version of rlvm, and am currently working on saved game support.
Elliot would like to support the planetarian demo, but lacks documentation on the HIK animation (movie?) format used in the intro and near the end of the (full?) game. If someone is willing to study and document this, go ahead.

From this point of view, CLANNAD is an easier target, though I'm not so sure about that regarding the rest.

If you would like to participate in the development otherwise, I suppose an interesting and important task would be helping write software tests.
For people illiterate about computer science, it means writing a set of program input and watching what is obtained in results.
For instance, for the following Kepago(1) excerpt:
intA[0] = 5
intA[1] = a + 7
one expects the subscripts of intA, an array of values defined by the RealLive engine and available for storing data, to have the values 5 and 12.

(1) Kepago is the human-readable source form of bytecode disassembly that can be modified and recompiled, for example for translating, adding calls to voice sounds, etc..

Basically, a way to contribute is writing such tests in kepago and see if the VM acts according to the RLdev manual and mimics the RealLive program correctly. Feel free to help.

The current project status is still alpha IMHO(2). There is no sound support yet, some instructions are still to be supported, and error handling is rather crude. Elliot develops it on his free time.

Of course, if you feel you are skilled enough to write things such as the sound system or HIK support, I suppose you should contact Elliot directly by mail (glaysher <the-round-sign-that-resembles-an-A-but-is-not-one>umich<maru>edu)

If you want to checkout a working copy, use
http://svn.elliotglaysher.org/rlvm/trunk
as the repository copy using a Subversion client.
If you're just curious, you may as well browse the code a bit.

(2) See http://svn.elliotglaysher.org/rlvm/trunk/STATUS.TXT
Old 2007-09-27, 13:43
Local

!!!!!!!!!!!
________
GRAPE APE

Last edited by fireshark; 2011-03-09 at 08:29.
Old 2007-09-27, 13:53
Posts way too much

So are Key/VisualArt's the only folks that use this engine?

I guess the only free games to experiment with are demos of Key/VisualArt's games.
Old 2007-09-28, 10:40
Rasqual Twilight

VisualArt's licensed its RealLive engine to a sizeable number of companies, including but not limited to, companies having their website hosted under *.product.co.jp.

You've got plenty of demos to experiment with, but to tell the truth, I think many won't run out of the box, since not all functions have been implemented. planetarian demo reportedly plays through the end, bar movie playback and common glitches/unsupporteds such as lack of sound, plain cursor, etc.
Old 2008-04-16, 22:12
DrBlue

Hi, I've attempted to post this announcement in a new thread, but every time I post it, it says it is a dupe of a previously posted thread. (Nothing shows up in search.)

-----

After a year and a half of hard work, I'm pleased to announce the first release of rlvm. rlvm is a Free Software reimplementation of the VisualArt's KK's RealLive interpreter. It is meant to provide Linux
and Apple users with a compatible, portable interpreter to play VisualArts games, specifically those released by Key.

As this is the first publicly released version, there are bound to be bugs. The machine is missing major features. (See KNOWN ISSUES in README.TXT.) Right now, only the CD edition of Planetarian is playable through the end.

rlvm compiles on Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (and most likely any modern Linux distribution), Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger, and Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard. Binaries for Gutsy and for OSX are provided.

Download

Links to old versions removed

-- Enjoy.

Last edited by DrBlue; 2008-12-17 at 22:16. Reason: Links to old versions removed
Old 2008-07-24, 22:04
DrBlue

Version 0.02

rlvm 0.2 adds music and sound effect support, along with custom mouse cursors included in RealLive games.

While rlvm plays music and sounds, rlvm still does not support voices. nwatowav does not support the voice format used on the Planetarian CD edition. If anyone knows anything about the voice file format used in Planetarian, please contact me at <glaysher at umich dot edu>.

This version is not backwards compatible with rlvm 0.1's save files. I've added versioning information to the save files so hopefully future versions of rlvm will be compatible with the save game files produced by version 0.2. No user action is required to upgrade; save files are written in a different location and are now compressed with zlib.

rlvm compiles on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (and most likely any modern Linux distribution), Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger, and Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard.

Last edited by DrBlue; 2008-12-17 at 22:15. Reason: Removed links to old versions
Old 2008-08-21, 23:13
Regular

nwa2wav works just fine with the planetarian CD nwk voice files, that is unless you were having a problem unrelated to creating wav files from the nwa files within the nwk archives.
Old 2008-08-22, 18:25
DrBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb186 View Post
nwa2wav works just fine with the planetarian CD nwk voice files, that is unless you were having a problem unrelated to creating wav files from the nwa files within the nwk archives.
That's not my experience. While the nwatowav binary appears to work when invoked:

Code:
$ ./nwatowav ~/GameImages/PLANETARIAN/KOE/z0001.nwk
Writing file /home/r/GameImages/PLANETARIAN/KOE/z0001.nwk-529.wav...
  ... Omitting several hundred lines ...
Writing file /home/r/GameImages/PLANETARIAN/KOE/z0001.nwk-9219.wav...
Writing file /home/r/GameImages/PLANETARIAN/KOE/z0001.nwk-9222.wav...
The output wav files are mostly static. In some of them, I can make out a highly distorted voice. How are you playing the output files? The wav headers may simply be messed up and your player may be ignoring them.

I've tried playing these wavs in mplayer and in kaffeine and in both I'm just getting static.
Old 2008-08-22, 21:14
Regular

ahhh... I'm assuming you are using a linux based nwa converter. The one I used was called nwa2wav, rather then nwatowav, and it's a windows application.

http://elku.at.infoseek.co.jp/other/nwa2wav.zip here is where I got it.

I'd guess that the program would work fine using wine but I have a broken gentoo linux install so I'm in windows and can't confirm. Hope this helps and best of luck.

btw the files play just fine in foobar2000, wmp, and mplayer so I'm assuming it will work fine for you as well.
Old 2008-08-22, 22:18
Regular

looking at the files again, it looses the proper filenames and replaces them with an incrementing number starting with 000. There's probably a way to fix this.
Old 2008-08-28, 18:34
DrBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb186 View Post
ahhh... I'm assuming you are using a linux based nwa converter. The one I used was called nwa2wav, rather then nwatowav, and it's a windows application.

http://elku.at.infoseek.co.jp/other/nwa2wav.zip here is where I got it.
What I'm looking for is not a program, but a piece of C/C++ code that I can integrate into rlvm to decode nwk files at runtime. Nothing on that site appears to offer source code, which is a shame, since that might have been enlightening.

Jagarl, of xkanon and xclannad fame, wrote nwatowav.cc which is what both xclannad and rlvm use to decode nwa BGM files. Jagarl generally releases his code under liberal licenses (MIT or GPL), (and I use Jagarl's ANM, GAN and G00 loaders too). It plays the nwa files just fine. It gets hang ups with the nwk files, or at least the nwk files that ship on the Planetarian CD.

There's quite a bit of code in there that looks like it's designed to handle nwk files, so I'm wondering why it's not working, and what it was designed to do.
Old 2008-10-04, 16:48
DrBlue

Default rlvm 0.03 released!

Work has been started on getting CLANNAD playable under rlvm. Nagisa’s route is playable to the end, minus the MPEG video. rlvm now remembers the CG viewed. User selections are now usable and don’t lock up the interpreter. Despite all this, CLANNAD support is far from complete. There are still several graphical glitches and unimplemented opcodes.

In addition, there are several stability fixes. The race condition in the BGM system has been fixed. Scrolling through Planetarian’s backlog no longer crashes.

Last edited by DrBlue; 2008-12-17 at 22:15. Reason: Removed old links