gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2006-03-11, 02:00

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Default List of "Known" Engines?

Just wondering if someone should compile a list of which game formats have been figured out, which games run them and who to contact to get tools to extract/insert the game scripts? It might be useful for a potential translator to know which game formats have been "solved"

As far as I know...

AVG32
Kanon, AIR
Haeleth

RealLive
Planetarian, Clannad, Tomoyo After
Haeleth

Studio Ego
Vagrants, Izumo, Izumo2, likely others
revolve

XFL Format from Liar Soft
Angel Bullet, perhaps others
zalas

.PAC/.BIN from GIGA
Baldr Force, perhaps others
Doddler/zalas

nscripter (.nsa/.arc)
Tsukihime, Narcissu, lots of other games
insani

KiriKiri (.xp3)
Fate/stay night, CLANN, lots of other games
insani

Leaf .a/.p
Utawarerumono, Tenshi no Inai Juuni Gatsu, parts of Aruruw to Asobou
zalas/(person who I don't know if he wishes to be named)

minori
Wind, Haruoto
insani/roxfan?

some era of F&C games
Suigetsu,Pia Carrot?
roxfan?

Navel .PAC/.BIN
Shuffle!
zalas

Navel .DAT
Tick Tack!
zalas
Old 2006-03-11, 03:14
Ex-boss

Default You missed one...

Majiro .ARC/.MJO/.RC8/.RCT
MOON CHILDe, recent NekoNeko games incl. Scarlett, R18 games
Haeleth
Old 2006-03-11, 08:44
Irregular

alamone needs to be credited under NScripter as well.

alamone and sagara were responsible for development of tools for CVNS (Majipuri, Akiirorenka, Alto as well as a few others). I can certify that these tools do work for Akiirorenka and Alto, and obviously they work on Majipuri.

alamone has a toolset for Saishuu Shiken Kujira, although it isn't up yet.

The era of F&C games that roxfan's tools work for corresponds to F&C's ADVWIN32 (not to be confused with AVG32!) engine. sagara also did some work on this, although his toolset remains incomplete at the time of this writing.

minori .PAK/.PAZ
You can remove the ? from roxfan.

Finally: doesn't this belong in the Technical forum? It strikes me that this thread is the answer to the question posed by the original poster of this thread, after all ...
Old 2006-03-11, 13:46

Would you guys think a restricted wiki would be a good place to put this information, or just a normal website? And are there any suggestions on where to put this? I thought maybe a Visual Novel Hacking Resource page would be a good idea, and have it contain random technical notes on hacking visual novels along with links to people with devkits, etc.

Furthermore, it might be a good place for people to put up incomplete notes on game engines so that others could continue working on them. For example, I have a semi-complete idea of the Leaf .p bytecode, but am not totally sure on the semantics of each and every opcode.
Old 2006-03-11, 14:06
Ex-boss

Well... there's DSVNWiki, which already has a very incomplete section on game engines which I expect we could safely take over. ^_^

Probably wouldn't be appropriate for actual notes on individual opcodes, but I thought you already had a wiki for that?
Old 2006-03-12, 14:17

I suppose DSVNWiki would be a good place, except for the fact that sometimes it seems that I can't connect. :/ I was actually thinking of moving the non-AIR related stuff off my AIR wiki and putting it on some generic wiki. :/
Old 2006-03-12, 18:00
Regular

Some other stuff I worked on:
1) Cross+Channel .pd unpacker/packer. I beleive Ed made one too. The scripts are simple text (could be NScripter?), so there's not much to hack.
2) Da Capo .mes scripts. I have a working dumper/text replacer, though I didn't really figure out the opcodes. Also a crx <-> bmp converter.
P.S. I had to patch the exe to get half-width ASCII working.
3) Kannagi .axr unpacker/packer. Got sidetracked and didn't figure out fully the script format, though I beleive the guy called Snover did some work on them.
4) School Days .gpk unpacker, both trial and full versions. Scripts are plain-text XML files.
5) Figured out Melty Blood fonts format and improved EX3 compression.
6) Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I also have tools for decrypting/encrypting scripts for Gainax's Girlfriend of Steel aka Iron Maiden (PC only) and Girlfriend of Steel 2 aka Iron Maiden 2. The scripts are plain-text. Probably would work with other Gainax games.
Old 2006-03-13, 01:18

Okay, site up:
http://haven.parodius.com/formats/
For those who would wish to help maintain this, the source data files I used to generate the page are at:
svn://celazul.stanford.edu/formats
Basically, the python file parses an .ini file, which points it to the various .txt files which contain the actual entries. The SVN archive is read-only to the general public, so you'll need a login/password from me to be able to login. I don't have an auto-update function set up yet, so right now I'll have to manually svn update and run the python script and then upload it.