gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2005-03-29, 03:17
Ex-boss

Default Seasonal haiku

As I woke this morning, my eyes were caught by a petal fluttering from the cherry tree outside my window, and I felt moved to compose a verse:
<blockquote><big>英国も
花飾り有り
雨の滝</big></blockquote>
Old 2005-03-29, 07:28
Obsessive

そう、寒い
空 は くらく だ
is yours]でも きみ の

Unfortunately I lose all ability to have grammar and to say something freely stuck in 5-7-5 :P. For those who mouseover the text above, the translation is very rough and is an attempt to show what I was trying to say :).

Slipgate
Old 2005-03-29, 12:56
Obsessive

Location: Trying not to get thrown out by Reverie like that Nazi in Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade.
Send a message via AIM to New Send a message via MSN to New Send a message via Yahoo to New

I've been meaning to ask this...

How the HELL does it always turn out 5-7-5?! I mean, a lotta Haiku's in Japanese are complex, but they're ALWAYS translated into 575! How does that work?

Oh, BTW, on Maui, there's a town called Haiku, and the first three digits of everyone's phone number there is... you guessed it! 575!
Old 2005-03-29, 13:05
Ex-boss

Assuming you're referring to English translations of haiku, then that's either the result of happy coincidence (as in the second two lines of mine), or of the translator spending hours sweating over it. But you do see other approaches to translating them. If you look at translations of Bashō's famous haiku<blockquote>古池や蛙飛び込む水の音</blockquote>you'll find most of them aren't actually 5-7-5. There's a page here that gives 30 alternative English versions of it, if you're interested.
Old 2005-03-29, 15:53
Addicted

Wow, I'd never seen all the variations on that one before! I must say, some of those authors really took some artistic license in what they ended up with...

I should try my hand at an actual Japanese haiku sometime...
Old 2005-03-29, 17:57
Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by That website
Samadhi means “absorption,” but fundamentally it is unity with the whole universe. When you devote yourself to what you are doing, moment by moment — to your kôan when on your cushion in zazen, to your work, study, conversation, or whatever in daily life — that is samadhi. Do not suppose that samadhi is exclusively Zen Buddhist. Everything and everybody are in samadhi, even bugs, even people in mental hospitals.
Okay, fine, that's a wonderful exposition of the word, but if that definition is correct, then eroge translating is also samadhi.

And if eroge translating is samadhi, then, uh, I'm a mongoose :P
Closed Thread