gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-19, 12:20
Local

Default Things I didn't understand in the Kanon translation

Well, I have finally saw a word that made me leave the game to go look it up on Dictionary.com. I like to think that my IQ is fine at above 130, so hopefully this isn't a word that everybody else knows except for me.

On January 11, before going to school, Nayuki mentions that she needs to deliver a "circular". In my mind, I begin to imagine a paper full of math symbols, but I can't seem to find which one actualy respresents a "circular" since I don't know alot of math (yet). I hope this isn't some kind of mistake where I read the word wrong.

Circular is some kind of notice passed to people in a group isn't it? I'm lost now. Haeleth, why don't you use a word that is more simple?
Old 2004-08-19, 14:46
Ex-boss

To be perfectly honest: I used the word "circular" because I didn't know what a 回覧板 is, except that "circular" is the translation Kenkyusha gives for the word.

Now you've drawn my attention to it, I see Daijirin does actually define the word in a more useful way: it's "an information bulletin circulated among a number of people in turn, as used to notify people of matters concerning the neighbourhood association etc."

I still can't think of a better word than "circular", but if anyone else can, I'd be happy to change it. Otherwise I'll add an explanatory note.
Old 2004-08-19, 15:19
Local

basically a memo.

We have circulars in my line of work. Boring stuff.

Anything created from love is beyond good or evil.

ほら、お名前は" - 【天野】
Old 2004-08-19, 19:17
Local

I was under the impression that she was talking about the school newsletter, which she had to distribute (circulate) to the other classmates. Either that, or it was her turn to write an article and she had to submit it.
Old 2004-08-19, 20:57
Obsessive

sorry, but I don't see the problem with the word "circular"... the word is even used in the company that I work for, (they never reach my department though, they always have nothing to do with IT).

The way I understod the seen that day. Nayuki recived some memo or note saying that the time changed for the trash burning day (I don't remember the full seen correctly). And she was going to desturbute the memo ("circular") to people living next to them... (still I don't know why *SHE* is doing that).

Sorry, but I always thought that "circular" was an English word.... isn't it??

P.S. I know that there is a word for "people living next door"... but I tryed to spell it more then once and it didn't come out correctly... sorry
Old 2004-08-20, 09:03
Local

"circular" made sense to me, though I don't hear the term used here (people tend to use "memo")

This is probably an "English English" vs. "American English" type of thing...
Old 2004-08-21, 00:29
Local

Nayuki was actualy going to post notices to inform the neighbors about a change in garbage burning day when she was already going to be late for school? This is exactly why I love Key games, the characters say such fun and interesting things! Nayuki even inspired me to try out strawberry jam on toasted bread and I think it is delicious.

I remember Haeleth made a note about students changing shoes for indoor and outdoor environments (because Yuuichi runs outside with the same shoes to meet Shiori). It sounds like a good idea, but I am almost certain we don't do that in America ^_^.

That reminds me, Nayuki calls her mother 'mum' instead of 'mom'. that is teh crazy!!!!11 I like 'mom' only so that I can childishly say ' my mommy knows best!'. I used to think mum was slang for mom, but I guess its normal for users of English-English. Keep it the way you want it though.
Old 2004-08-21, 01:29
Addicted

It's always been "Mum" where I live, though you could probably get away with using "Mom" given the strong influx of Americanisms here =P.

I've never heard anyone except very young children use "Mummy" or "Mommy", although I'm under the (mistaken?) impression that some older people do in Britain. Of course, I learned everything I know about British society off old BBC sitcoms, so I could well be off.

As for memo vs circular, I'd stick with circular. As far as I'm concerned, a memo is something that gets passed around an office, not the neighbourhood.
Old 2004-08-21, 08:20
Ex-boss

Going by what people have said, I guess I'll stick with "circular" and add a note explaining what she's apparently talking about. Let nobody say fan translations aren't educational...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstCd2
I've never heard anyone except very young children use "Mummy" or "Mommy", although I'm under the (mistaken?) impression that some older people do in Britain.
Not mistaken; I use it myself. But adult use is pretty much limited to the Oxbridge-educated professional upper middle classes (that is, the non-Cockney stereotype), and even there it's a bit old-fashioned and only appropriate in a dwindling set of circumstances.

Anyway, Nayuki's usage is perfectly natural in my dialect. I'm less sure about Shiori, she might be more of a "Mum" person.
Old 2004-08-21, 13:27
Local

Staying on subject. I will keep posting new messeges on words that seem unneccesarily complicated. But honestly, if editing old text is a waist of free time, then don't even bother making changes to the already translated text.

Ayu asks if she and Yuuchi will need a 'spade' to search for something she lost rather than a 'shovel'. Unless it is another English-English word, doesn't it sound strange coming from someone who didn't know what a mistress was? Then again, Ayu did understand what a defaulter was...
Old 2004-08-21, 13:37
K

Spade is pretty simple... and the "mistress" bit is just because Haeleth couldn't think of something better (no offense intended in any way).

Anyhow, we could probably save editing the already-done parts for once the project is completed >_>
Old 2004-08-21, 14:49
Local

*point well taken*

Ah ok, I'll save it for after the translation is done. But I have something very very important now. In the first day where Sayuri invites you to have lunch with her and Mai: Yuuchi, relating his story, says "Mine hostesses plonk themselves down with the slightest regards to dignity" or something simular to that. I'm not the English expert here, but don't you mean 'My' hostesses? Using the word 'mine' sounds either wrong or a very elegant way of saying things.

Sorry about all the posts in one day, but I would imagine that this kind of feedback is usefull.
Old 2004-08-21, 19:38
K

I think he's trying to be ironic, but... meh, I wouldn't know there ^_^;
Old 2004-08-22, 02:58
Ex-boss

No need to save commenting on things till the project is completed - I'm editing as I go along anyway. And it's very useful to know where people are finding things difficult.

Spade is the usual word in British English.

As for "mine hostesses", K is basically right. "Mine host" is a literary set phrase used typically for the landlord of an inn, and following it with a homely word like "plonk" conveys, through bathos, that Sayuri, while very well bred, is still just a schoolgirl. At least, that's what I'd say if I were writing a report on it for a literature class. ;)

As a total aside, does anyone happen to know any good websites about the differences between British and American English? Long word lists would be a plus. I really think I ought to try to learn more about the subject.
Old 2004-08-22, 15:09
Local

Hmm .. looks like my interpretation of circular was pretty off!

Anyhow, just went googling and I found this

The article speaks about the main differences between the two, but the best part is the link at the bottom. It's a list of American<->British vocabulary. Pretty cool stuff!
Closed Thread